Powdered drinks....I think that is what it is called.

Options
Skmellyg
Skmellyg Posts: 158 Member
edited March 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
So I was looking into something that will help with my energy level and stamina. Basically help get the energy to work out while I am at the gym. I don't know if that is even healthy or even recommended. So I guess first question, Should I start with a powder drink to help with energy? If so what kind that isn't going to break the bank? I saw some of my facebook friends selling Thrive, is that good? I am all over the place. I have just never went this route. Please help from a newbie!

Replies

• Stella3838
    Stella3838 Posts: 439 Member
    Options
    Coffee. Black coffee. Practically no calories and a nice caffeine kick. I drink it up to an hour before a workout and I'm good to go. But if you don't like it, that probably won't help. :smile: There are a million other things out there, but I've never wanted to spend the money or drink whatever they have in them.
  • cathipa
    cathipa Posts: 2,991 Member
    Options
    If you are asking about a pre-workout they are basically powdered caffeine and other stimulants. Thrive is I believe an MLM product which is why you are seeing people advertise it on FB and other social media. I prefer black coffee for my pre workout, but I workout at 5am. Take a look at your diet as well. It may be you aren't eating enough prior to working out so by the time you get to the gym your energy is low.
  • xsmilexforxmex
    xsmilexforxmex Posts: 1,216 Member
    Options
    You'll probably get a ton of different answers pre-workout drinks...
    I like amino energy, it tastes pretty good and available for not too much. I've also tried C4, not a fan because it causes my HR to go up too much and a weird tingly sensation that radiates out from my chest. Plus I've responded to people who took too much and went into SVT.

Black coffee isn't a bad option if you like coffee... and it's not that pricey.
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    Don't rely on those. The thing is, the only pre-workout thing that really makes you feel energetic is probably caffeine. Almost all pre-workouts have it. So you can enjoy a nice cup of coffee instead if you really have to. Once you get used to working out though, you will feel more energetic automatically.

For me I feel better when I have some carbs in me 2 hours or so before my workout too. So I usually eat something with some carbs in it. I also drink some coffee if it is a morning workout. Seriously though don't get those pre-workouts, most have random ingredients in them, and more than most are geared towards athletes that needs an extra edge not beginners, and that extra edge is really not that big.
  • OMAChiver
    OMAChiver Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My dietitian has me consume 15g of carbs before each workout (cardio and weights) to provide continuous fuel for my body during my 60 minutes of exercise. My go to is 8oz of V8 with 4g of Benefiber mixed in. I don't get any "boost" of energy, but since I have started this regimen I have noticed that my output doesn't start to drop as I get closer to the end of the workout.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I like coffee or crystal light/great value energy powder drink mix. Easy and cheap.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    Monster Ultra Zero is my go-to pre-workout.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    Coffee works great for me.
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    About 200 cals of carbs and protein or fat if I have a particularly tough cardio workout planned. Otherwise, I just go.

If you're so tired that you feel you need a boost, maybe that's evidence of a need to reevaluate your eating plan. If you mean you get tired while you're working out, maybe your fitness just isn't there yet. You have to build up to it.
  • graceanthony19
    graceanthony19 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I use Energize. It's more natural, I'm able to take it while breastfeeding and it definitely gets the job done. For those saying use coffee as a pre-workout, ummm not the same thing. At. All.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Just buy coffee. The vast majority of pre workouts are caffeine based or made of similar stimulants. Then they have 1/3-1/10 of the recommended dose of supplements that have minimal scientific back
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    If you like coffee, it's a good option. If you don't, a 200mg caffeine pill taken with water works great.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I love me some pre-workout but if you're not using it yet, might as well try coffee and maybe a quick carb snack. I held out on coffee for as long as I could before switching to pre-workout and now I can't go back.