Losing weight without exercise

Options
I keep seeing posts about people losing weight without exercise. Unless there is a medical reason why you can't....I don't understand why you wouldn't want to! It helps me to have less brain fog, less stress, muscle, stamina, better breathing...on and on and on!
If you aren't exercising I encourage you to give it a try! A true go at it! Tell us how you feel after 30 days! My world has changed.

I started at 354! I feel amazing and am actually frustrated when I don't have a daily hard sweat and workout!

Replies

• NattySchmatty
    NattySchmatty Posts: 103 Member
    Options

cross2bear wrote: »
    There are far more degrees of activity between sitting on the couch and eating pizza and say....tough mudder. Its often not an all or nothing. Thats why it personal preference - the level of activity varies from person to person according to their needs, wants and abilities. We all find our success in different ways. For me, it was no intentional exercise, BUT leading a relatively active life within my medical restrictions. I have no doubt that a lot of folks here would say the same. You can get a good work out running after little kids. You can get a good workout if your job is very active. Exercise if it makes you happy but its not necessary for weight loss, or even a happy, fulfilling life.

This is pretty much exactly what I was going to type. Well said.

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    sunsweet77 wrote: »
    I keep seeing posts about people losing weight without exercise. Unless there is a medical reason why you can't....I don't understand why you wouldn't want to! It helps me to have less brain fog, less stress, muscle, stamina, better breathing...on and on and on!
    If you aren't exercising I encourage you to give it a try! A true go at it! Tell us how you feel after 30 days! My world has changed.

I started at 354! I feel amazing and am actually frustrated when I don't have a daily hard sweat and workout!
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    personal preference

end thread/

It seems to me that saying that exercise is personal preference is much like saying that how fat you are is a personal preference. While technically true, it makes no more sense to say that it is okay for a person not to exercise than it does to say that it is okay for a person to be overweight. Being overweight has health risks, but lack of exercise carries even greater health risks. It is true that a person can lose weight doing nothing but sitting on the couch and eating pizza, but that doesn't mean it is a good idea. Eating less will result in weight loss, but people would be better off if they would continue to eat the same while increasing their activity level.

But you're not the one who gets to dictate that. It is 100% their choice of how they live their life. No one put you in charge. Maybe their doctor or their loved ones can have a say but not you. Maybe they would be better off but maybe there are 100 factors that we don't know about that prevent them from exercise. Eyes on your own plate and on your own workout pants.

What do you mean by dictate? How is it different to tell someone that they should get physically fit than it is to tell them that they should weigh their food?

personal preference

end thread/

It seems to me that saying that exercise is personal preference is much like saying that how fat you are is a personal preference. While technically true, it makes no more sense to say that it is okay for a person not to exercise than it does to say that it is okay for a person to be overweight. Being overweight has health risks, but lack of exercise carries even greater health risks. It is true that a person can lose weight doing nothing but sitting on the couch and eating pizza, but that doesn't mean it is a good idea. Eating less will result in weight loss, but people would be better off if they would continue to eat the same while increasing their activity level.

people who are overweight are a drain on the health system and cost a TON of money more than people who simply don't exercise.

You don't think people with osteoporosis are a drain on the health system? You don't think people with heart disease are a drain on the health system? You don't think people with a weakened immune system are a drain on the health system? You don't think people with cancer are a drain on the health system? You don't think people with cognitive problems are a drain on the health system? All of these are risk factors that are reduced with exercise.

What about other strains on public resources? Our roads are clogged with traffic. Our bridges are in need of repair. Our air is filled with pollution. All of these problems could be reduced if people would choose to walk or ride a bicycle for a few of the trips they make.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options

personal preference

end thread/

that is fine, but as humans we have free will to do what we want. If one wants to eat less and not exercise because they do not like exercise then that is fine.

I love to lift weights but not everyone does ,it is personal preference. So I stand by original assertion.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options

A. Don't want to, no exercise holds an interest or they can't work up the enthusiasm.
    B. They don't get the endorphin rush (I feel physically better in my body/joints, but I'm drained sometimes mentally and physically).
    C. They're trying to get the eating under control. They're trying to learn to eat better as a first step, so questions come up as to if that's feasible (which it is.
    Obviously it's better for overall health, but it is a personal preference for weight loss.
  • Sheisinlove109
    Sheisinlove109 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Wow! I didn't mean to cause a stir. I simply was sharing my experience for others. If you exercise or whatever it's none of my business. I looked at this as an encouragement post. I was sooooo wrong. I meant no offense. Trying to figure out how to delete it so no one else gets their panties in a wad. If you can delete this, please do!
    I'm all about empowering not judging!
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Wow! I didn't mean to cause a stir. I simply was sharing my experience for others. If you exercise or whatever it's none of my business. I looked at this as an encouragement post. I was sooooo wrong. I meant no offense. Trying to figure out how to delete it so no one else gets their panties in a wad. If you can delete this, please do!
    I'm all about empowering not judging!

This is how we always are? I understand where you're coming from on it, but I'm one of those people who isn't really exercising right now. I like to walk outdoors (treadmills are boring), and I don't get off till 6pm so it's dark outside (and still cold, I'm a weenie), plus I technically haven't been cleared for exercise from my Dr (had surgery, healing for surgery #2). So I just watch my food intake.