Peeling brown eggs compared to white eggs

2»

Replies

• cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Washing them is the reason they need to be refrigerated as it does remove a protective layer from the shell. Fresh from the coop they can stay out on the counter for a long time.

That sounds like an old wives tale. I frequently leave store bought eggs on the counter will no problem. When we go camping I take a couple dozen and they survive the heat just fine.

Not an old wive's tale. They can still handle being left out for a while after washing, but it opens the pores on the egg and they don't stay fresh as long as unwashed eggs.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    BeChill73 wrote: »
    7lenny7 wrote: »
    Washing them is the reason they need to be refrigerated as it does remove a protective layer from the shell. Fresh from the coop they can stay out on the counter for a long time.

That sounds like an old wives tale. I frequently leave store bought eggs on the counter will no problem. When we go camping I take a couple dozen and they survive the heat just fine.

Not an old wives tale. A day on the bench at room temp is roughly equivalent to a week in the fridge, so fridge will keep them fresh longer but benchtop is fine if you use them up within a few weeks. It does depend on your clinate though, and if you are using fresh laid or store bought eggs. Store bought are often a few weeks old before you buy them.

The bloom should never be washed according to the CSIRO (Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organisation)

"Under no circumstances should eggs for in-shell storage be washed as this removes the surface bloom and makes the eggs more susceptible to attack by microbes."

https://www.csiro.au/en/Research/Health/Food-safety/Egg-quality

Different countries, different laws. The US requires that eggs sold in stores must be washed.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited March 2017
    Is it just me or is it so much harder peeling boiled brown eggs compared to white eggs? Why is this!?

I've always had a harder time peeling the brown eggs too. The peel wants to stick real bad. Drives me crazy anytime I've ever prepared deviled eggs for family meals cause the egg white will fall apart
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    I used every trick in the book: vinegar, steaming, cold water, hot water, ice baths, old eggs, you name it. They all worked - sometimes. The only somewhat reliable way was old eggs, but who wants to plan ahead several weeks and maintain a special inventory just for hard cooked eggs.

Then I got a pressure cooker and I'll never go back. 2 minutes on the steamer rack with a cup of water and they practically fall out of the shell every single time.
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    The egg bleaching thing relates to an urban myth that has been debunked on the snopes website.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    Seriously, it is the freshness of the egg itself, not the color of the egg. The fresher the egg, the harder it is to peel.
    Try putting the eggs in cold water. Bring the water to a boil. Turn off the heat, cover and let the eggs sit for 10 minutes. Drain the eggs. Then put in ice water until cool. They are usually easier to peel.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    JenHuedy wrote: »
    I used every trick in the book: vinegar, steaming, cold water, hot water, ice baths, old eggs, you name it. They all worked - sometimes. The only somewhat reliable way was old eggs, but who wants to plan ahead several weeks and maintain a special inventory just for hard cooked eggs.

Then I got a pressure cooker and I'll never go back. 2 minutes on the steamer rack with a cup of water and they practically fall out of the shell every single time.

bwahaha- that's exactly what I do (the old eggs thing)...I always make sure I have lots of eggs in the fridge so I have lots of old eggs 10+ days old for hard boiling. I'll have to try steaming them.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    They are identical.

I hate peeling all eggs.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Seriously, it is the freshness of the egg itself, not the color of the egg. The fresher the egg, the harder it is to peel.
    Try putting the eggs in cold water. Bring the water to a boil. Turn off the heat, cover and let the eggs sit for 10 minutes. Drain the eggs. Then put in ice water until cool. They are usually easier to peel.

I've done this with the cold water and it still doesn't help.
  • 7lenny7
    7lenny7 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Putting the eggs in cold water, then bringing to a boil, is actually one of the worst ways to make hardboiled eggs according to Cooks Illustrated.

They tried 5 different methods, tested fresh & old eggs, and reported their findings here:

https://www.cooksillustrated.com/articles/168-easy-peel-hard-cooked-eggs

Short version - age of the egg doesn't matter that much and the best methods are steaming or boiling (putting the cold eggs in the steam or boiling water), with pressure cooking practically tied for best. Worst methods are cold-water start boiling and baking. In all cases they ended with a 5 minute ice bath.

They also show a nifty way to peel.

I prefer steaming because I can take an entire dozen eggs put them in my steaming basket and put them in the pot of boiling water, then taken them all out at once and put the eggs in an ice bath.
  • 3rdof7sisters
    3rdof7sisters Posts: 486 Member
    perkymommy wrote: »

I've done this with the cold water and it still doesn't help.

I did say that they are USUALLY easier to peel. It definitely doesn't work every time. However, I neglected to say that after they are totally cool, I crack them gently all over the shell (as much as possible). The shells USUALLY come right off. I have tried baking eggs, but there is something about the way they taste and look that is kind of different, at least to me. I only did this once, so probably not a fair test. The steaming sounds like a great plan. I am going to try this.

One thing I will never do again, is dye brown eggs for Easter Eggs. The color is not as bold as white eggs.
  • VioletRojo
    VioletRojo Posts: 597 Member
    So the real difference is that white eggs are actually bleached. They are more chemically treated than brown eggs to achieve the super white color. The nutritional value is basically exactly the same between the white and brown eggs. One is just a bit more treated than the other. All store bought eggs are much easier to peel however the white eggs are significantly easier since they have less calcium in the shell due to treatment. Store bought eggs have a long journey before they reach the store and eventually your home also contributing to the ease of peeling store bought vs farm fresh. I grew up with white, brown and green egg laying hens and all colors are equally as difficult to peel when boiled if fresh out from under the hen.

White eggs are not bleached. Different breeds of chicken lay different colored eggs. I have one hen that lays blue eggs, believe it or not. White eggs are not treated any differently than brown eggs.