Losing speed

Okohme
Okohme Posts: 152 Member
I am still fairly new to running and so I obviously don't have a lot experience nor have I tried many things, just yet, I've only been running regularly for about 3 months. I have spent the last month and half or so, lengthening my runs. In that time I have noticed that my speed has seemingly decreased, and, I'm not entirely sure why. I know a lot of things have changed and changed back in those months. My weight has remained relatively stable(+/- 2lbs or so), but my ability to go out for daily walks has decreased due to temperature (I have to take the baby with me when I walk so it has to be above a certain temp.) Is it likely that extending my mileage has for some reason decreased my speed, or is it more likely that having to change my routine away from a 2-3 mile daily walk has impacted my speed, or something else? I am currently getting geared up for my first 10k, after that I plan to do some speedwork aimed at improving my 5k time and go from there. For fellow runners, what sort(amount) of variation do you tend to see in your regular runs over the same course?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    If you're starting to run farther of course you should run slower... try a shorter distance and that's when you should see your speed improve.
  • Okohme
    I am running slower for my longer run. I started out running like 2x a week and moved up from there. Starting in January I went from 3miles 3x a week to my present of 4 miles 2x a week and 7 miles 1x a week. My Long run on Sunday is very relaxed and sloooooow. I time the first 3 miles of my run to use as a yardstick, even when I'm running longer than that. My concern is that I have seen no gains and even some losses in those first 3 miles on days when I run only 4. But I will take your advice and see what my mile time is at present, as I have not timed in a quite a while.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I think it's pretty normal to go slower with further distance...my wife doesn't run a 1/2 marathon at the same pace that she runs a 5K. I'm a cyclist and my pace is much slower for a 1/2 century than it is for a 20K time trial...
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Take a couple rest days, then do a week with only 1-3 mile runs. I think you'll see a faster pace there.
  • Okohme
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    I think it's pretty normal to go slower with further distance...my wife doesn't run a 1/2 marathon at the same pace that she runs a 5K. I'm a cyclist and my pace is much slower for a 1/2 century than it is for a 20K time trial...

I'm not saying you're wrong, but its only 1 more mile. I wouldn't have though it'd have that big of an impact.
  • TavistockToad
    Okohme wrote: »

I'm not saying you're wrong, but its only 1 more mile. I wouldn't have though it'd have that big of an impact.

You've increased your mileage from 9 to 15 in just a few weeks and you're a new runner... improvements take longer than weeks in my experience.
  • Okohme

You've increased your mileage from 9 to 15 in just a few weeks and you're a new runner... improvements take longer than weeks in my experience.

Yes, that makes sense. I guess I had hoped that I would at least stay about the same, but I seem not to have. In your experience, how long would I go at it before seeing some speed results? And will I continue not to see speed results if I am increasing my miles?
  • TavistockToad

Yes, that makes sense. I guess I had hoped that I would at least stay about the same, but I seem not to have. In your experience, how long would I go at it before seeing some speed results? And will I continue not to see speed results if I am increasing my miles?

Run 3 x 3 miles next week and I bet you're quicker...

Are you training for a race or just running for running sake?
  • Okohme

You know, I just might do that (run 3x3s again). But I think I will do it week after next. I am gearing up for a 10k, on the 26th. At this point I know I can run it (i run 7 miles once a week), so its basically just to collect the 10k medal to hang next to the one 5k medal I have and move on with my life.
  • TavistockToad

You know, I just might do that (run 3x3s again). But I think I will do it week after next. I am gearing up for a 10k, on the 26th. At this point I know I can run it (i run 7 miles once a week), so its basically just to collect the 10k medal to hang next to the one 5k medal I have and move on with my life.

Then you benefit most from doing your increased mileage until the race
  • Okohme

Then you benefit most from doing your increased mileage until the race

Maybe I will do my 3x3 the week following the race.