Sign of a good workout?

Options
Is it a sign of a good workout or a bad one when your legs are like jelly after, and it's 10 minutes before you feel safe to try and go downstairs? I wasn't properly hydrated before and I'm paying for it now! Glad I didn't give up on the class but man I feel rough now

Replies

• rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    That's just a sign you did a lot of leg work. Everyone has a different opinion on what makes a good workout. For me, if it provides the required stimulus to make me better over the long haul, then it was a good workout.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    If I was in a race, yes then my legs feeling like jelly is a good thing to me. My current goal is to grow bigger legs, so I wouldn't want that from lifting weights.
  • JB035
    JB035 Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    If you are new to training legs or don't train them very often this can happen.
  • canadianlbs
    canadianlbs Posts: 5,199 Member
    Options
    'good' and 'bad' are arbitrary; it depends how you want to define them.

it definitely sounds like you worked your legs, so 'good', if that's all that you care about. but if it's the kind of thing where you can't go back and do it again a few days later because you're still too sore . . . i've come to see that as 'bad'. it depends what kind of time frame you're in it for.
  • Willbenchforcupcakes
    Willbenchforcupcakes Posts: 4,955 Member
    Options
    Did I accomplish the work set out in the program? If so, then yes it was a good session. If no, why and what can I do to prevent it in the future?
  • MsMaeFlowers
    MsMaeFlowers Posts: 261 Member
    Options
    I love finishing a work out with all my muscles feeling that way. But, for me, that feeling after a workout means I'm going to feel great the next day. I'm sure it might be different for other people.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    Did I hit the reps/weight that I set before the workout? If yes, then it's an alright workout. If I blow past those and hit even higher reps, then a great workout. Anything less than the preset amount. Crappy workout.
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Guess it was rubbish then as I've done better before. Thanks for the responses anyway. Not giving up but struggling
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    @samthepanda, did you perform your workout to the best of your ability at that point in time?
    From what I read you did, therefore it wasn't rubbish, it was successful.

A lack of hydration, calories, or electrolytes could have caused your jelly legs. It could have also been because you worked hard and exhausted your muscles with non of the above involved.

I have walked out of the gym and had to sit in the car for 5 min while my legs started responding correctly more than once.
    I also, more often than not, have to use two hands to get a cup of water to my mouth. Because my arms are shaking so much.
    Some days the above are caused by increasing my weights or reps, others are because I am just off form that day (for whatever reason), and my muscles are reacting to that.

Everyday I talk myself into working out is a good workout for me, barring injuring myself of course. Others may look at that as a having low goals, for me it is a win.

Don't negate your workout because others have their personal interpretation of what is a good workout.

Cheers, h.
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    Thanks. I have been exercising a long time and still find it hard getting the balance. I'm never going to be the fastest or strongest but I'm trying my best. Anxiety levels are high about going into the gym anyway so stil have to count it as a win every time I get in.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Guess it was rubbish then as I've done better before. Thanks for the responses anyway. Not giving up but struggling

Just because you may have done better at that particular workout, doesn't mean it was bad. So many factors go into how we might perform on any given day. Not every time is going to be a PR kind of day. Putting in the effort and doing the workout is what counts.