The magic pants...

Options
I was able to buy jeans a size smaller about 15 pounds ago. At about 8 pounds ago, these pants became large and saggy. I had a few comments about how I need to retire them. I don't want to buy new clothes all the time so I was just holding out. Now that I have lost another 5-7 pounds, the pants fit snug again?? I even had a comment "wow those fit you better than the other pants you have." They are the pants! I am not sure if weight just disappears differently but 5-7 pounds for that much change or redistribution? I know this sounds very weird. The pants got loose with weight loss and then fit again after more loss. I am about to burn them and call it voo doo.

Replies

• samantaggart
    samantaggart Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Ever seen Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants?
  • ahoy_m8
    ahoy_m8 Posts: 3,053 Member
    Options
    I've had jeans that I SWEAR shrink in the wash. I dunno, OP. It does sound magic. Keep wearing them as long as they fit!
  • DanniB423
    DanniB423 Posts: 776 Member
    Options
    Ever seen Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants?

Totally thought of that. I didn't mail them to any of my smaller friends.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    I've had jeans that I SWEAR shrink in the wash. I dunno, OP. It does sound magic. Keep wearing them as long as they fit!
    Jeans will shrink -- or at least the fibers in the fabric will tighten up -- if you wash them in hot water. The difference between that and true shrinkage is that they'll relax again after a few hours of wear.

@Dannib423 If you've been working on building up the booty with resistance training, they may well fit a bit snug again with you weighing less. That's just your larger butt muscles.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I also think they shrunk a bit, rather than you are again filling them out.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    Jeans shrink after every wash in my experience, and then stretch back out. But perhaps you washed them too hot and shrank them permanently? Does cotton do that?
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    I've had some pants that I think of as "best friend pants" that something about them keeps pace with me even through body changes that they should not. I dunno I don't question it.
  • GizzySteph
    GizzySteph Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    You might be loosing weight but carrying water. You might find they are baggy again next week.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    Jeans shrink after every wash in my experience, and then stretch back out. But perhaps you washed them too hot and shrank them permanently? Does cotton do that?

^^My experience also.

I'm a fan of vintage denim and in my experience jeans shrink and relax on every wash... up to a point. I've got some 501s that are now about 30 years old (they are my all time favourite pair of jeans, I've worn them to every rock gig I've been to since around '85), on their last wash (I try to wash them as little as possible) there was zero shrinkage and they are currently about one size up from label.

Certainly with Levi's you can get "one wash" jeans, which have been washed once during manufacture or "shrink to fit" that you need to wash to get to their intended size. With either types, further washes will bring them down a touch but wearing will relax them a little.

I've heard that you can permanently bring jeans down 1/2 size by washing on very hot, but I've never tried it myself.