Exercise for area under the arms (arm pit area)

Options
TigerLily100
TigerLily100 Posts: 81 Member
edited March 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
Hello,

So I've been working out at the gym, both cardio and weights (machines not free weights) for about 5 weeks now and all is going very well, the fat is coming off and I'm getting stronger and fitter.

But one issue I have is as my shoulders and biceps/triceps tone, the fat under my armpits and the area that joins my pectorals is looking awful, it just looks like flabby jelly and of course as the area around tones, it looks worse. It's like an area isolated, a fat island all of it's own.

Now I know you cannot spot train to reduce fat in on particular area, the fat will come off in it's own sequence.

So I figured the only thing I could do to help this area is do exercises that specifically target the muscles that are in that area and tone? I think the muscle groups concerned are the obliques, pecs and lats.

So my questions is, what expercises could help to target this specific area?

2nd question: I've also got a big fat pad on my inner left thigh (at the top where it joins my torso), but not on the right leg - totally weird! It again is soft and jelly like and out of proportion with the surrounding area. I know fat comes off in it's own sequece - but one leg and not the other? I am working both legs equally.
Why could this be happening?

Other than these areas, I am really happy with my progress, it's like they haven't joined in on the fun and remain on strike :(

Thanks in advance for any ideas and advice :)

Replies

• SavvyKitten
    SavvyKitten Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Do more arm excercises maybe? You can do arm rotations for long periods of time while holding large full bottles of water.
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    1) There is no way to "train" your armpit
    2) You are describing an area where fat accumulates
    3) To get rid of the fat, you need a calorie deficit
  • TigerLily100
    Options
    I am eating at a calorie defecit and loosing weight already, so no doubt my body will get to this fat eventually.

I know you can't train the armpit, but you can train the muscles surrounding the area which can improve appearance whilst I continue this long journey of loosing the fat.

Where my arms are concerned, I've lost no more fat than anywhere else, however they look a lot better than anywhere else because the muscle underneath the fat has improved much more than the rest of my body.
    This was my reasoning behind targeting the muscles around the armpit area, I know it will not shift the fat, but fat on top of a good muscle base looks way better than fat on underdeveloped muscles....in my humble opinion anyway :)

Having done some research on the muscle groups involved, I can see which movements are lacking in my routine so will incorporate some new free weight movements and see how I go. Worst come to the worst, it will be the last fat to leave, as long is it does one at some point, I'll be happy.

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,622 Member
    Options
    Do more arm excercises maybe? You can do arm rotations for long periods of time while holding large full bottles of water.
    No. You CANNOT exercise fat away from any part of the body intentionally.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    A lot of what is going through those areas (if I understand your description right) is the tendons from the muscles you describe - by the time you get to the arm pit area, there is no or little muscle body, just the ligament holding the tendon over to the attachment point.
    More muscle work on those won't do anything for the tendon part.

Sounds like itt's more likely flabby skin with a good layer of subcutaneous fat to it, that used to cover more fat that was lost.

It'll be hopeful that the skin recovers and shrinks if that's the reason behind it.
  • broseidonkingofbrocean
    Options
    Kind of sounds like your talking about the serratus anterior muscles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serratus_anterior_muscle

As you said you can't spot reduce and working on those muscles will help. You can lose fat in one leg and not the other, just keep it up and eventually everything will go.
  • TigerLily100
    edited March 2017
    Options
    heybales wrote: »
    A lot of what is going through those areas (if I understand your description right) is the tendons from the muscles you describe - by the time you get to the arm pit area, there is no or little muscle body, just the ligament holding the tendon over to the attachment point.

Sounds like itt's more likely flabby skin with a good layer of subcutaneous fat to it, that used to cover more fat that was lost.

It'll be hopeful that the skin recovers and shrinks if that's the reason behind it.

God I hope so, imagine being all toned with saggy pits hanging down.....lol

Edited to add: I think you're right about flabby skin with a good layer of subcutaenous fat that used to cover more fat - this has only appeared since loosing weight. So the slack in skin is due to fat loss........runs off to eat some pies ;)
  • TigerLily100
    Options
    Kind of sounds like your talking about the serratus anterior muscles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Serratus_anterior_muscle

As you said you can't spot reduce and working on those muscles will help. You can lose fat in one leg and not the other, just keep it up and eventually everything will go.

The leg situation is really weird, it's really noticible. I'm am thinking of hopping on the bad leg for the rest of the month lol ;)
    Strangly enough, the right armpit is way worse than the left....so I am in a roundabouts way kinda balanced :)

Thanks for the link, will take a look.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options

Edited to add: I think you're right about flabby skin with a good layer of subcutaenous fat that used to cover more fat - this has only appeared since loosing weight. So the slack in skin is due to fat loss........runs off to eat some pies ;)

That would be horrible to be all toned yet still not have perfect arm pits. I don't know how I could look myself in the mirror!
  • AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options
    There are three considerations here:
    1) You should continue to work to lose body fat (you said this yourself)
    2) You can build muscle in the shoulders (deltoids) and buttocks (glutes). This will give you more of a taper, which should help.
    3) If this is skin and not fat, you may recover that area. But depending on how long it has been that way, it might not come all the way back. That's why people who lose a ton of weight often need surgery to have loose skin removed.

Allan Misner
    NASM Certified Personal Trainer
    Host - 40+ Fitness Podcast
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,987 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    OP: Just do pullups, pushups and dips.

If you can't do them now, do to work necessary so that you can and the arms, shoulders, chest and lats will all tighten up.

PS: you also obviouly need to lose weight and BF at the same time but as you do you'll see the result as you go.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Um, can't you just wear a t-shirt until you're happier with your appearance? There's no need to get all judge-y about armpits or get stressed out about it. No one boasts about beautiful armpits...
  • TigerLily100
    Options
    kenyonhaff wrote: »
    Um, can't you just wear a t-shirt until you're happier with your appearance? There's no need to get all judge-y about armpits or get stressed out about it. No one boasts about beautiful armpits...

Yes I can and do.
    Perhaps I judge myself because it really bothers me. I am on this journey because I am unhappy about my body......partucuarly the saggy armpits!

• TigerLily100
    Options
    2) You can build muscle in the shoulders (deltoids) and buttocks (glutes). This will give you more of a taper, which should help.
    3) If this is skin and not fat, you may recover that area. But depending on how long it has been that way, it might not come all the way back. That's why people who lose a ton of weight often need surgery to have loose skin removed.

Allan Misner

Thanks, it's a relatively new issue so I know my skin will spring back in time. I just want to help it on its way. Summer is coming and I am really paranoid about it, I think in my head it's a way bigger problem than it probably is.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Well, OK... I can understand not being happy about saggy armpits. But your weight loss is going to do this, not by any sort of concentrated exercise. Focus on what you CAN do, not what you can't.

But do not get fixated on your pits. No one cares about armpits as long as they smell OK. :smiley:
  • TigerLily100
    Options
    lorrpb wrote: »

That would be horrible to be all toned yet still not have perfect arm pits. I don't know how I could look myself in the mirror!

Well I will let you know if I ever loose the 40lb and get all toned if I can look at myself in the mirror. My stupid brain will probably see the pits and not the great improvement in my body :(
    These pits are bothering me more than the 40lb of excess fat I am carrying and that's messed up.

• AllanMisner
    AllanMisner Posts: 4,140 Member
    Options

Allan Misner

Thanks, it's a relatively new issue so I know my skin will spring back in time. I just want to help it on its way. Summer is coming and I am really paranoid about it, I think in my head it's a way bigger problem than it probably is.

Then work to broaden the shoulders and it will be much less noticable.
  • pandabear_
    pandabear_ Posts: 487 Member
    Options
    I had that when I was at my lowest weight too - I think it has something also to do with what you are wearing and if it's tight - for example wearing a tight push up bra might add to it, whereas another type of bra won't.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Sounds like you would benefit from working on your thought process rather than your pits, meant as a supportive suggestion.