PCOS and hard time losing weight.

Options
I am 20 lbs overweight and it seems that no matter what I do I am not shedding any pound. I already followed a 1200 calorie diet and still no changes.

Replies

• __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I have PCOS as well. Calories are still key for us, so double-check your logging. You don't need to restrict more than other people, so don't try to be too aggressive. You may find it helps to keep your carbs on the lowish side -- 150g works for me. It helps me stay satisfied. I also find that vigorous exercise helps me -- 45 minutes of sweaty cardio, 6 days a week. I'm losing about 1.5 lbs/wk -- started at 248, now at 204. Good luck!
  • carrierpatnode80
    carrierpatnode80 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I also have PCOS and the only thing that worked for me was literally calorie counting. I stayed at 1200 daily and exercised atleast 1200 calories or more. I had to track my exercise in order to continue the weight loss. I lost 65 pounds. But I also was going to a bariatric doctor monthly so I had someone keeping me accountable plus suggesting healthy food to buy.
  • Neckita
    Neckita Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Feel free to add/friend me. I have had PCOS for many years and I am able to stay active/fit with a healthy balanced diet, exercise and also working VERY closely with my Endocrinologist. He keeps close tabs on my thyroid, PCOS, insulin levels (not diabetic but always a concern with PCOS) and this helps with staying at a healthy weight for me. I would love to encourage/answer any questions you might have.
  • goaliema
    goaliema Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    A PCO'er and I too have trouble losing weight. Low carb with exercise (even just walking) is what seems to work best for me when I commit to my self. Fallen off the wagon...but getting back up.
    All the best to you...you can do it!
    Goaliema

**I welcome any low carbing or keto dieting tips..☺
  • cupcakegirl81
    cupcakegirl81 Posts: 2,033 Member
    Options
    I was just diagnosed on Friday with PCOS with Insulin resistance. I don't know a whole lot about it. During the two weeks I was getting ultrasounds and blood work, pre diagnosis, the doctor told me to eat clean, cut processed food (which I was eating a lot of) and less dairy. In two weeks, I lose 4 pounds. I'm trying to stick to that, with the exception of whey and cheese...can't cut completely. Oops.
    I was put on Metformin and iron, but was taken off yesterday due to an allergic reaction.

Not knowing I had PCOS, I was frustrated for years. I lost 40 pounds on MFP and then two years ago, put 30 back on. I couldn't figure it out, hadn't been able to drop a pound. I was always under on cals. Apparently, it was the quality of food that was the issue, as well as the insulin resistance.

Looking forward to losing weight, again, now that I know what I'm working with.

Feel free to add me if you'd like.
  • ashleybarnette2013
    ashleybarnette2013 Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    dinia07 wrote: »
    I am 20 lbs overweight and it seems that no matter what I do I am not shedding any pound. I already followed a 1200 calorie diet and still no changes. I have pcos and have lost 150lbs in 3 years I know this is not going to be easy but you can most definitely do it eat less move more it has taken me a lot of time,support, and willpower but it's been worth it basically I had to work out everyday no breaks because of our condition it takes more. Good luck to you believe in yourself and I'm always here if you need advice or support
  • catmomfat
    catmomfat Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I have pcos but I'm not insulin resistant. I'm trying to stay at a thousand calories a day and work out HARD five days a week. Yoga or Pilates on rest days. And I'm struggling to loose a pound and half a week