Meal Plan that hits nutrients

Options
Hey guys,

Does anyone has a resource on meal plans that hit the needed nutrients; i.e. - iron, sodium, carbs, proteins, etc.

I hit the 1500 calories mark and eat healthy but I am over/under on the nutrients side.

Thanks!

Replies

• YvesAdele
    YvesAdele Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    The only way I've been able to reach my goals is by basically policing my meals, which isn't necessarily healthy but I do try to do it a few times a week to stay on track! Plain tuna without any dressings is a good way to stack on nutrients without a bunch of calories (I like mine with a tiny bit of mayo on romaine or lettuce leaves like a wrap). Smoothies are also great for that, but make sure you're doing mostly veg because its easy to gulp down a lot of sugar in one sitting with smoothies. Whole grain breads also help if you're having trouble reaching your iron or fiber goals, and surprisingly breakfast cereals have lots of nutrients too, but again be careful for the sugar.
    Hope this has helped some!!! Good luck!
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    I don't micromanage like that - it's not necessary unless you're ill or a professional athlete, and then someone would be doing it for you - I think it would be unhealthy.

Set an approptiate calorie goal (1500 is most likely too little for you. Aim for 1% of your body weight per week if you want to lose weight). Log everything, correctly. Hit your calorie goals. Get enough fat and protein. Eat food you like. This will normally make everything fall into place.

If you want a meal plan, plan your meals. You can make a simple plan or a more elaborate plan. Or you can just make sure you always have an assortment of foods you want to eat available.

I plan my meals around protein+fat+vegs. Then I add on, depending on which meal it is, and what else I'm eating that day, and what needs eating up. I like to think in food groups. So I get in 2-3 portions of fruit, 3-4 portions of vegs, a portion of starch for most meals, and some dairy, every day. Nuts several times a week, and meat or fish for dinner at least three times a week. I aim to get as much variety as possible, and eat up everything I buy.