Working out on fasting days (5:2 fasting)

Options
Does anyone who does 5:2 fasting work out on their 2 fast days?

If you do, how do you find it?
Does your body generate the energy needed to work out at the same intensity or do you feel sluggish and weak in comparison to non fasting days?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    The general consensus is not to
  • LisaMarshall789
    LisaMarshall789 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi, Yes I do. I do a spin class in the morning and a Les Mills Body Pump in the evening find it absolutely fine,
  • daddyspuddin
    daddyspuddin Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I do just before I eat and I haven't had any problems at all
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options
    From a common sense point of view I would say not to if possible. Operating on 500 calories is hard enough without adding more calories burned.
  • jelleigh
    jelleigh Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    If I work out I do a lighter workout. Sometimes will wat back half the calories burned too as 500 is so low to be supporting a workout AND brain function for the day ;)
  • Maxematics
    Maxematics Posts: 2,287 Member
    Options
    I would guess that people with higher body fat levels or people who carb load the night before may find it easier to do strenuous exercise on such a low calorie day. However, I would think that low impact exercise like walking or yoga is better suited for a fasting day. Less stress on the body. Everyone varies though.
  • lauralee328
    lauralee328 Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I don't lift on fasting days, but I do cardio and yoga. OTOH, I doubt it would matter much. I've been on IF for 5 months, and my energy level is fantastic, especially on fast days.
  • danika2point0
    danika2point0 Posts: 197 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I have been doing IF 5:2 for one month...in the first couple of weeks, I couldn't do my usual workout in the afternoons. I do Mondays and Thursdays fasting and Monday is traditionally lower body strength, but I just could not bring myself to do it. So I decided to do cardio first thing in the morning on the fasting days. It's a great start to the day and I prefer to exercise with not a lot in my stomach anyways (I get nauseous). I just do a 30-40 minute FitnessBlender.com cardio video which suits me well. x
  • jopalis
    jopalis Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    so far I work out on non fast days and do walking on fasting days.
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    Either don't workout or do a low intensity easy cardio workout.
  • CaffeineAngel
    CaffeineAngel Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    When I was fasting last year I'd find it easier to exercise on those days for a couple of reasons.

First of all - the distraction. In my case I'd fast from 6=7pm the previous night for 24 hours (so 500 calorie meal of fasting day was at 6-7pm, and just black coffee, water or stock cube in hot water until then). Going out and exercising is something to keep your mind off "gee, I have x hours til dinner." Work, working out or even (non food) shopping took my mind off eating.

Secondly I'd feel very cold on fasting days and especially in winter exercise will warm you up. Even now I'm more inclined to go out for a brisk walk/ run than anything else.

Thirdly (nearly there!), I was always hungry the day after lifting anyway but not necessarily on the lifting day itself. It seemed counter-productive to eat when I felt nauseous (when I started core training, planks, twists and all that) and forcing it down. Waiting the day after, eating 10% above TDEE felt a lot more rewarding.

Lastly, I became a creature of habit. Food's now always something I think about once I've done with work and exercising for the day. I don't do 24 hour fasts anymore, once I got to my goal weight I stopped fasting every other day (admittedly not quite 5:2. And admittedly I lost weight a bit too quickly as I wasn't fully versed on nutrition this time 1-2 years ago) and now fast for 18 hours and eat within a 6 hour window as this works for me and fits in with work, early morning gym sessions and all that.

YMMV of course. Some people feel sick/ light headed etc if they don't eat before exercise, I'm the opposite. Anecdotally people will have different experiences, and whilst one might say I'm wrong as fasting and heavy lifting are bad on the same day...not for me :p.
  • TilKingdomCome
    TilKingdomCome Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I run and do strength training on both fasting days and don’t find it any different to non-fasting days.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    fasted training is totally a thing lots of people do, but it takes several weeks for your body to adapt, so if you see a drop in performance in the beginning just keep in mind that it should level out after a while and your performance should return to normal