False Calories on Nutritional label ?

Options
WafaeGettingFit
WafaeGettingFit Posts: 13 Member
edited March 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
IMG_1776%5B1%5D.JPG

20 Protein * 4 Calories +25 Carbs * 4 Calories + 6 Fat * 9 Calories = 234 Calories
But the label says 210 Calories ?!

Replies

• sammyliftsandeats
    sammyliftsandeats Posts: 2,421 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Ugh, that really sucks!

ETA: I think they're legally allowed to be off by 20%...or is that only with the weight?
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    Could they be subtracting the fibre count from the total calories? I cant do the math, but that might explain it in part.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,868 Member
    Options
    You're not going to absorb all of the calories from the carbs...the 4 grams of fiber won't be absorbed. Beyond that, +/- 20% error is allowed.
  • WafaeGettingFit
    WafaeGettingFit Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    cross2bear wrote: »
    Could they be subtracting the fibre count from the total calories? I cant do the math, but that might explain it in part.

20 Protein * 4 Calories +(25 Carbs - 4 Fiber) * 4 Calories + 6 Fat * 9 Calories = 218 Calories

It's close but not exact. I had other protein bars that didn't subtract the fiber from carbs though.
    I wasn't aware that the macros and calories can be totally different in the same label.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Labeling rules, fiber, sugar alcohol, etc.
  • Jruzer
    Jruzer Posts: 3,501 Member
    Options
    The Atwater values aren't exact, either.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    If you remove the dietary fiber it is only 218. Given that decimal places aren't included and total calories can be rounded, the label seems correct. Given the nature of what it is, you can probably be fairly confident that it is somewhere between 195 and 240 calories.