The Benefits of having an OPEN food diary

Options
2»

Replies

• highervibes
    highervibes Posts: 2,219 Member
    Options
    I get great ideas from open diaries so I'm just trying to do the same for someone. I don't really care who judges my food choices, I'm losing weight and my bloodwork and blood pressure are great, so if anyone has a problem with my food I invite them to *kitten* themsleves. I have yet to have anyone make a comment about my food choices though. I like to see what other people eat (especially if they've lost a lot, or I"m inspired by them for whatever reason) I would NEVER judge someone for their food choices and I certainly wouldn't comment unless asked, and even then...
  • ze_hombre
    ze_hombre Posts: 377 Member
    Options
    I did have an open diary until somebody thought it fitting to judge what I was eating when I did not ask for opinions. Now mine is closed.

I do however, see what you mean OP regarding having an open diary in your case.

I am on the fence on this comment. I agree that unwarranted comments can be upsetting, but isn't this *sort of* the whole point of a social feature? I wasn't there, so there is probably more to the story (maybe the self proclaimed nutritionist was an *kitten* about it), but I would welcome someone commenting on my diary with tips and tricks as long as they were polite and not condescending or rude about it.

And if they were, I would tell them where to go and who could push. Pretty sure there is a delete button that can solve those kind of issues.

I can't answer for anyone else, but for me it was always the comments from the self-appointed nutritionist that I got. I was told to eat more, eat less, eat clean, eat more/less protein/carbs/fats, etc. Food and recipe suggestions are nice, but obviously my method is working for me the way I want it to, otherwise I would have asked (and the advice would have been unsolicited).

I don't mind comments from friends that are there to help, support and encourage me, but I don't want random advice from strangers who don't know my situation or what works for me (I've even had people tell me I "must" eat more of things I am allergic to). I think the social part can work fine even without having your diary public.

Yeah, in those scenarios I would tell them to go get bent and unfriend them.
  • __Di__
    __Di__ Posts: 1,630 Member
    Options
    I did have an open diary until somebody thought it fitting to judge what I was eating when I did not ask for opinions. Now mine is closed.

I do however, see what you mean OP regarding having an open diary in your case.

I am on the fence on this comment. I agree that unwarranted comments can be upsetting, but isn't this *sort of* the whole point of a social feature? I wasn't there, so there is probably more to the story (maybe the self proclaimed nutritionist was an *kitten* about it), but I would welcome someone commenting on my diary with tips and tricks as long as they were polite and not condescending or rude about it.

And if they were, I would tell them where to go and who could push. Pretty sure there is a delete button that can solve those kind of issues.

I could go with what you are saying if I had been having problems, but I wasn't and was losing weight and content with what I was eating.

Regarding your final paragraph there, they actually deleted me before I had a chance to delete them :laugh:
  • vegan4lyfe2012
    vegan4lyfe2012 Posts: 1,135 Member
    Options
    I keep my food diary open to my friends...to keep me accountable and to also provide others with inspiration that they CAN eat great on a plant based, whole foods diet :)
  • MaeRenee94
    MaeRenee94 Posts: 175
    Options
    You hit it dead on! It's like the saying what would jesus do?! But now its more like.. What would MFP think?!
  • mistij68
    mistij68 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I like keeping an open diary because it keeps me accountable to me. If someone wants to give me ideas or an opinion that's fine with me. Either I can take it or leave it, so it doesn't really matter. I like looking at other people's diaries, because it gives me ideas on what to eat and how many calories I should be eating. Besides at one time I wouldn't hesitate eating a whole pint of Ben & Jerry's or Hagendaz, or eating a container of vanilla oreo cookies. But now I know how many calories that is and how it actually makes me feel, I'll think twice about it. And I guess you're right, I wouldn't want the backlash of listing it and I wouldn't want to feel guilty by not listing it . So it's all good! :smile:
  • Kaytee86
    Kaytee86 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    I keep my open to my friends. I like the fact that I can view other people's diaries for ideas on meals, which is why mine is open. But restricted to friends for a bit of privacy, because I know the people on my friend's list are going to be supportive and not judgey, if they were they wouldn't be on my list.
  • kjs1228
    kjs1228 Posts: 1,462 Member
    Options
    Great to get feedback on what I am eating. I also learn great ideas by looking at what my friends are eating!
  • MrsMX
    MrsMX Posts: 98
    Options
    Seems like a good idea but I think I would prefer it Open to Friends!

Just need some more friends if anyone is interested ...

"more settings to work out and things to find":flowerforyou:
  • MMulder68
    MMulder68 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I like open diaries. I want the accountability. I log every thing I put in my mouth. Plus, I have a few physical trainers that check on me periodically that I appreciate comments from. Also, those who have been successful have given me tips that really helps. I prefer friends with open diaries.
  • seliinac
    seliinac Posts: 336 Member
    Options
    I like to look at other's diaries so I figured it's only fair that mine is open, too. If my diet looked really unhealthy I'd want to be told. So far I have restrained myself from commenting on other's diaries. I find that some people are eating so few vegetables (like one serving or less per day) and I really want to say something! It really shocks me to see what some people eat. I know you can lose weight without eating vegetables but will you be healthy?? End of rant.
  • Gearjammer71
    Gearjammer71 Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    I had mine only open to friends. There are some good points on this thread so I made it public.
  • neskapolita1978
    neskapolita1978 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I have a strange relationship with food. This is an established fact. Comments from the peanut gallery will not make that any more obvious to me. I may open it for the "hey, do I want to put that on the INTERNET" factor, but I'm not looking for input or anything.