Late night gym/protein help!

Options
alyssag2011
alyssag2011 Posts: 46 Member
edited March 2017 in Fitness and Exercise
I go to the gym at night after I get off work. So I don't usually leave the gym until 10:30pm at least. Can you tell a difference in how you feel working out in the morning vs at night, Sometimes the next morning/afternoon I feel sluggish even if I eat protein for breakfast. I'm not a protein shake drinker, I just can't do it, so I usually eat bars. But with it being that late at night I'm not sure if I should eat one before or after working out. What kinds of bars do you find to be the best? I look for ones that are higher omg fiber and lower in sugar. Just looking for your advice!

Replies

• DopeItUp
    DopeItUp Posts: 18,771 Member
    Options
    If you don't like protein powder there's a million other choices out there. My top 3 bars are Quest, PureOne and MusclePharm. You could simply go with something like beef/pork/chicken/turkey jerky too if you're not a fan of whey protein products. I would definitely consume some amount of protein after your workout and before bed, it will make a noticeable difference (I work out late at night too).
  • alyssag2011
    alyssag2011 Posts: 46 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Awesome. Thanks! @DopeItUp
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    Either Skyr or 0% Fat Fage Greek Yoghurt would be good for you to have post workout, it'd deliver slow release Caesin protein to repair your muscles whilst you sleep. Other yoghurts have more carbs and less protein so check the nutritional values but some carbs would probably be good to help ATP synthesis so no bad thing as such, just workout how much you need to eat to get, say, a decent 20g of protein.
  • STEVE142142
    STEVE142142 Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    As far as working out day or night that's based on your biological clock. I'm not a morning person at all, most of my workouts are at night after 6 or 7 o'clock.

As far as protein it's okay to eat after your workout even if it's late. Not sure what your calories are. the reason you could be feeling sluggish and tired as you're not consuming enough calories