Cutting back feels like torture

Options
Just started my journey last week and I just feel hungry all the time. I'm trying to lose around 40kg and have cut down to 1200 calories. I'm not sure what my calorie intake was before but now it just feels like torture.

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    1200 is torture. If you don't have to go that low, don't.
  • YouBlowMyMind
    YouBlowMyMind Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    After putting in my weight and weightloss goal that's what mfp has given me. I drink nearly 4litre of water to try suppress my appetite but it doesn't work
  • bbell1985
    Options
    KloBlo85 wrote: »
    After putting in my weight and weightloss goal that's what mfp has given me. I drink nearly 4litre of water to try suppress my appetite but it doesn't work

How tall are you? What is your weight? What is your activity level?
  • YouBlowMyMind
    Options
    I'm 160cm 108kg and I put in sedentary
  • bbell1985
    Options
    Ugh I don't feel like converting. Someone else can.
  • YouBlowMyMind
    Options
    Oh sorry I will
  • YouBlowMyMind
    Options
    5"3 238
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    KloBlo85 wrote: »
    Just started my journey last week and I just feel hungry all the time. I'm trying to lose around 40kg and have cut down to 1200 calories. I'm not sure what my calorie intake was before but now it just feels like torture.

These are the stats to maintain your goal weight.
    Meaning anything below these numbers within reason, you'll lose weight.

Activity Level Daily Calories
    Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1817
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 2082
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2347
    Very Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days/wk) 2612
    Extremely Active (hard daily exercise/sports & physical job or 2X day training, i.e marathon, contest etc.) 2877

My opinion, shoot for 1600kcal a day with weekend breaks once a month.
    Walk 10k steps a day, don't be sedentary.
    Resistance train any way you can at least a couple times a week.
  • bbell1985
    Options
    5'3" and 238. Are you really sedentary? You have room to eat more to lose. Do it. No point in torturing yourself. Or, if you exercise, make sure you are eating back exercise calories.

Also remember, if you were eating at maintenance or even a surplus...say 2300 calories per day, think of how shocking that is to your body to immediately drop to 1200. You can play with your intake across the week, you can lower it once in awhile. But once you start at 1200, you have no where to go.

• YouBlowMyMind
    Options
    I'm slowly getting myself moving. I own a treadmill which I've started using and own a fitbit to count my steps
  • ncfitbit
    ncfitbit Posts: 1,058 Member
    Options
    Fitbit is great for telling you what you're actually burning each day and also for encouraging you to add those steps. They all add up! There's really no need to suffer to lose weight. In fact, I would argue you should make it as pleasant as possible so you can stick with it long enough to get some success under your belt.