Replies

• Kai81109
    Kai81109 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    no she is also my family doctor
  • bsuew
    bsuew Posts: 628 Member
    Options
    I'd have to agree lose the Phentermine! I took it years ago ~ yes I did lose the weight but didn't learn how to eat correctly and gained it all back and lots more! I don't have any proof but about a year after taking it for over a year I found I had a cyst on my overy. In a 6 month period of time it grew to a size of a large grapefruit. After reading (on line) and talking about what happened to my doctor he said I wasn't the first that had said this same thing. I was 36 at the time and had to have hysterectomy.

But the biggest reason I say don't take it, is because you don't really learn how to change the habit you have gotten into. You can do it without the pills! Yes, it can be hard work but so worth it in the end!

Good luck!
  • kr1stadee
    kr1stadee Posts: 1,774 Member
    Options

Run.. far away from her (and then eat back those calories you burned from running!)
  • caly_man
    caly_man Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    The best advice I got (that kind of makes sense to me) is to try to "burn" and extra 1,000 cals per day - 500 through exercise and 500 through calorie reduction. So, if you need 2,000 to maintain weight, you would eat 1500 calories and burn 500 through exercise, netting 1,000 total consumed. This way you lose 2 lbs per week (3,500 is required to burn 1 pound). Technically, you are eating some of your burned calories, but not all.. Hope this helps!

hey Tat, who ever gave you that advice is really setting you up for trouble in the future, i'm sure that wasnt their intention, but think of it this way, do you really want to burn 500 calories per day in exercise for the rest of your life? or even until you get to goal weight? what would happen if you couldn't exercise like that anymore? It's almost a perfect recipe for failure.

learning how to create a modest deficit,. 500 cals per day, through food alone will teach you to make better food choices, portion control, and other food lessons that will last a lifetime

and yes, i love physical activity, but i know there's going to be periods in my life when i wont have time to exercise, heck, it's exactly how i got fat. by continuing to eat like a 20 year old while not being as active as I once was.
  • Kai81109
    Options

Run.. far away from her (and then eat back those calories you burned from running!)

lol
  • broox80
    broox80 Posts: 1,195 Member
    Options
    I dont want to discourage you, I am just sharing my experience. I was on Phentermine and could barely eat. I lost about 30 pounds and then my Dr. took me off because being on them for over 3 months can cause damage to your body. So I stopped taking them and could NOT get full. I tried just to use will power (this was before I found MFP) and just could not do it. I gained back all of the weight I had lost and then some. In my opinion it is a quick fix and does not last. My doctor also suggested I have a very low calorie diet. That is something I cannot sustain forever either. I am going to eat big meals, not so good for me meals, etc. I just have my cals at 1500 and try to exercise on an almost daily basis. The weight is coming off very slow, but its going in the right direction. Good luck to ya!!!!
  • Kai81109
    Options
    thank you everyone for your information... gonna drop the phentermine and see about a new doctor/nutritionist... your opinions were very very helpful
  • MustangUSN
    MustangUSN Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I went to a nutritionist too for guidance and she said that I could use my exercise calories to manage my food intake. She said that what she didn't want to happen was for my body to get used to just a specific calorie intake...that wouldn't lend itself to weight loss. Meaning, some days I eat some calories back and some days a I don't, but I don't make a concerted effort to eat them back if I'm not hungry. This has allowed me to eat the foods I love with some modification as to portion and type...and still get enjoyment out of the food. So far, I've lost weight and with a lot less exercise than I planned for. Though as other posts have mentioned, everyone is different. I do think it is time for a 2nd opinion...meaning, maybe a check in with another nutritionist. Yes, and not all nutritionists are the same, as different states require different levels of education for certification vs. licensing. I believe we know what's best for our bodies, or at least know instinctively when something just doesn't feel right....so trust your instincts and a bit of common sense.
  • amraf1024
    amraf1024 Posts: 74
    Options
    The way it was put to me when I asked about workout calories was

The deficit in calories is already done when you figure your TDEE as your normal routine. Then if you add more exercise or activity the idea is to eat those calories back so you don't have too large of a deficit.

This, this, and more of this.

The number of calories that MFP or most online calculators give you already factor in the fact that you are trying to lose. They build in a calorie deficit so you would be losing even without exercising. When you do exercise, you're burning off even more calories so when you eat them back (to the number that you got from MFP) you're still in a deficit.

Just copy and pasted made sense to me...