Under 1200 calories and started gaining weight

Options
I track every thing I eat and have been staying under 1200 most of the time it's between 1035 and 1100, I make sure I get over 10,000 steps in a day and the last two weeks I started gaining weight. I've stopped all caffeine in Sept. and, pasta, rice, breads and potatoes for this diet. I haven't started a proper exercise routine yet just getting in my steps. The Keto Recipe book I got says I should be eating a lot more calories because I've cut out the carbs. but I've been to scared to up my calories because weight loss has always been a struggle for me, I've gained weight before when I was getting professional help dieting.

Replies

• size102b
    size102b Posts: 1,370 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    If your only eating 1200 calories and doing 10000 steps you should lose weight
    Weighing and measuring everything helps and logging all you consume will show the picture what your eating
    I lose slow but if I ate that low and did that many steps I'd lose if I log every single thing I eat and drink and don't go over calories
  • niketasebakeng
    niketasebakeng Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    If it's on the scale could it be muscle gain?
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    What is your starting weight and what is your goal weight?

How much weight have you gained?

How long have you been doing this?

Please open your diary so we can take a look.
  • Glasscandle
    Glasscandle Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I hear you. It's so frustrating when you know you are doing what you are supposed to do and the scale doesn't move or even goes up! Darn body!! I take a deep breath (after yelling at the scale "are you KIDDING me!") when I get a disappointing weigh-in and tell myself: Persistence and patience. Hopefully clothes are looser and you can focus on that. Hope you break through your plateau soon!
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    can you open your diary please?
  • deviousme7
    deviousme7 Posts: 61 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Try eating 1200 calories minimum and no extra walking per day and see the weight drop off, this is why I stopped walking so much
  • tolianie
    tolianie Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    First thank you for the reponses. I'll try to address the questions asked, sorry if I miss any. I'll look into opening my diary, not sure how and I'm at work. I DO weigh and measure everything except the sugar free gum I chew. I'm 5'1 and weighed 181 this morning. I weigh myself everyday and only log it once a week on the same say wearing the same outfit. Most of my walking is done at work. Every time I get bloodwork they say I'm perfectly healthy, my dr said 1200 was still to much which is why I try to stay under. My starting weight was 198 but I did a strict 2 week carb and dairy free diet before I started tracking my food. I've been tracking for approximately a month and half losing about 2 pounds a week until 2 weeks ago. I agree with my calorie intake I should be losing that's why I came here. Thank you again for the responses.
  • perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Are you weighing/measuring everything? Be sure to do that and don't guess at how much you are eating.

I eat 1200 per day and losing slowly but I'm losing. I don't always get my steps in each day but I try to do every other day.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    tolianie wrote: »
    First thank you for the reponses. I'll try to address the questions asked, sorry if I miss any. I'll look into opening my diary, not sure how and I'm at work. I DO weigh and measure everything except the sugar free gum I chew. I'm 5'1 and weighed 181 this morning. I weigh myself everyday and only log it once a week on the same say wearing the same outfit. Most of my walking is done at work. Every time I get bloodwork they say I'm perfectly healthy, my dr said 1200 was still to much which is why I try to stay under. My starting weight was 198 but I did a strict 2 week carb and dairy free diet before I started tracking my food. I've been tracking for approximately a month and half losing about 2 pounds a week until 2 weeks ago. I agree with my calorie intake I should be losing that's why I came here. Thank you again for the responses.

If your doctor told you that 1200 calories a day was too much for you, run away, run far away, run far away fast from that doctor and consult a new one. Your BMR at your age/gender/height is over 1300 calories, that's just the number of calories your body needs to survive in a coma. Your TDEE having an active job would be over 1800 calories a day (that's including a lot of walking/being on your feet) to maintain your current weight. That's not even adding in any exercise except the 10k steps you mentioned a day. If you subtracted 500 a day from that you'd be at or slightly above 1300 calories a day, and that's still likely too aggressive since you're hitting 10k a day in steps. Just my opinion based on online calculators. I'm no expert but I'd say you're pretty much starving yourself and it may be causing a ton of water retention and/or waste retention. Start tracking sodium instead of sugar by default in the MFP app, look for things you're missing on your logs (like the oil the food you're eating is prepared in, condiments, etc), and make sure you're using the right entries (cooked vs raw, usda vs community contributed entries). Something is not right, you either simply need to eat more or you may have an unknown medical issue.

• creyes4182
    creyes4182 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    It's weird that your doc said to eat less. On keto it's important to stay low on carbs but some people don't know that fat/protein ratio has to be right too. You want to be at 65% fat 25-30% protein 5-10% carbs. You also have to have a certain amount of potassium and magnesium(which is why I eat lots of spinach). And if you don't do refeeds fish should be in your diet as well. Also 1200 should be your net calories. Find out how many extra calories your burning walking. Because if it's 500 for example then your only getting 700 calories in. If that's the case your body is desperately trying to hold on to reserves. If your suppose to eat 1200 and your burning 500 your total calories should be 1700. That said calories burned tend to be inaccurate so I always go somewhere in the middle. So if it is 500 your burning I would eat 250 over the 1200 minimum. I know it seems nuts but it works. There are days when I go nuts in the gym and get 800-1000 calories burned and I'll eat over 3000 calories and still lose weight.