Who else is maintaining successfully (long term)?

Options
Cave_Goose
Cave_Goose Posts: 156 Member
edited March 2017 in Goal: Maintaining Weight
MFP posted a blog about the difficulties of maintaining. I guess I didn't realize so many people struggled with this. The blog made me wonder how many people who were posting on MFP 3 years ago are still on the site and still maintaining?

I came onto this site 3 years ago because I was invited to climb Mt. Rainier, and I was 45-ish pounds overweight. After successfully accomplishing that goal, I challenged myself to train for and run my first full marathon.

3 years later, I keep setting new fitness goals. I'm coming up on my third marathon. On my 49th birthday I want to successfully complete 100 push ups. This summer I'm doing an 160-mile single day bike ride across the state of Indiana.

Sure, over the years my weight fluctuates in a 10-15lb range, depending on what my fitness goals are (Right now I'm working to shed 7 more pounds to hit my ideal race weight.), but maintaining hasn't been a challenge for me.

Who else is maintaining a year or longer?

Replies

• Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,867 Member
    Options
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    I'm close to 3 years now, although to be fair I've been slacking a bit and gained a few pounds, but my clothes fit the same so I'm not exactly (too) worried about it... but still working on losing those.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    Way to go OP with your fitness goals!

I'm in my 4th year of maintenance. Outside of some mental struggles transitioning from weight loss mode to maintaining, my experience has been very smooth.

There has been no weight gain outside of my range, I eat well, my exercise is enjoyable and I'm happy with my body composition. :)
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Lost my excess 23lbs from August to Christmas 2012 to get to what turned out to be the first of quite a few different maintenance weights. Lowest point was 37lbs down from start point but that was too skinny for my taste.

Still setting and ticking off fitness and strength goals, some have come naturally and some have proven to be a
    much bigger, and longer term, challenge than anticipated!
    Exercising more than ever and really enjoying it, completed over 4000 miles cycling last year including a few Audax (long distance cycle) events.

Currently about 5lbs over my current ideal weight (still below my original goal though), been a bit lazy losing my winter fat suit. Stopped logging food last year and although maintaining without logging is OK losing is more of a challenge without the accuracy and accountability of logging.

Overall I'm really enjoying this period in my life and regret I didn't get my head in the game earlier.
    You have "the fit 50's" to look forward to OP!

• iofred
    iofred Posts: 488 Member
    Options
    In maintenance mode now for 18 months, and weighed in this morning on exactly the same weight as when I entered maintenance. I guess the difficulty is if you see it as a diet, rather than a lifestyle
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    I've been off and on MFP for the past 3ish years (I hang out here for the forums), but I've been successfully maintaining for almost 4 years (maintenance anniversary is April 1st).
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Going on 4 years. I'm still here, but I don't log.
  • middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,483 Member
    Options
    I lost weight in2009 on a calorie counting site that is now closed.
    Hit maintenance in Jan or Feb 2010.
    Joined MFP in November 2010 and have continued maintaining.
    I rarely log, but it is handy when I change workout routine and need to get my cals re aligned, or the odd time o start creeping under or over my maintenance range.

So maintaining 7years; on MFP 6y 7m.

Cheers, h.
  • nxd10
    nxd10 Posts: 4,570 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I'll be 5 years next month - and actually haven't missed a meal logging. I lost 38 pounds originally - I'm around 4 pounds up from that today. I was at the top of the 'healthy' range when I started to lose. I've been down to a 45 pound loss just because of exercise - but as sijomial has said, that was just too skinny. Right now my BMI is 21. I'm in the middle of my annual Spring weight drop (I have gained 5 pounds every November and lost 5 every March for the past 40 years). I expect I'll be back to my 38 pound loss in a month or so.

I didn't have a hard time losing. It has not been hard to keep off either. I just keep hitting my calorie goals, make sure my carbs are under 50%, and walk my daily hour. But you have to be consistent. A handful of nuts and a date or two every day and I'd be right back to where I started.

I had been a good weight until I was in my 40's and let those 30+ pounds slip up a pound or two a year. Best thing I ever did was lose it (I'm 58 now). People look at you SO differently and you feel so much better.