Okra-healthy recipe needed

Options
jbwegner
jbwegner Posts: 254 Member
Anybody have some good ideas for fresh okra? Thanks!

Replies

• Naokoheart
    Naokoheart Posts: 161
    Options
    I'm also curious. :O
  • raindancer
    raindancer Posts: 993 Member
    Options
    I just saute sliced okra, fresh tomato, whole kernal corn,onion, bell pepper and garlic.untill all is tender. season with salt and pepper to taste. I don't have a recipe, just eyeball it. All natural and fresh from the garden.
  • ellykay7
    ellykay7 Posts: 26
    Options
    I chop it up and mix in a bit of yellow corn meal in a bowl. Then add about 1.5-2 tblsp of extra virgin olive oil to a pan and heat for a few minutes. Then you add the okra with the mixed in corn meal and fry until it is done enough for you.

The olive oil is good fats and if you don't add too much corn meal (just enough to lightly coat the okra) then all in all it is pretty healthy and very tasty. I also add a little bit of bacon bits for extra flavor. They can be found in the salad dressing aisle.
  • navstar
    navstar Posts: 113 Member
    Options
    I cook mine with garlic, ginger, cumin seeds, onions, tumeric, green chillies and a pinch of salt, i fry the cumin seeds and garlic in 1 cal spray until the garlic is lightly golden, add the onions wait til they are a light golden brown add the tumeric ginger and chillies and a pinch of salt, then add in the okra (sliced) and gently stir over a meduim heat and when it is almost done add in the juice of one lemon.

I eat it with plain low fat yogurt and either a chapatti or a wrap.
  • Naokoheart
    Naokoheart Posts: 161
    Options
    I cook mine with garlic, ginger, cumin seeds, onions, tumeric, green chillies and a pinch of salt, i fry the cumin seeds and garlic in 1 cal spray until the garlic is lightly golden, add the onions wait til they are a light golden brown add the tumeric ginger and chillies and a pinch of salt, then add in the okra (sliced) and gently stir over a meduim heat and when it is almost done add in the juice of one lemon.

This one sounds delicious!
  • Aamilah
    Aamilah Posts: 62 Member
    Options
    That do sounds delicious!!!!!!! @navstar Thanks for the recipe. I soon will be making this.
  • Aamilah
    Options
    That do sounds delicious!!!!!!!
  • Aamilah
    Options
    [/quote]I cook mine with garlic, ginger, cumin seeds, onions, tumeric, green chillies and a pinch of salt, i fry the cumin seeds and garlic in 1 cal spray until the garlic is lightly golden, add the onions wait til they are a light golden brown add the tumeric ginger and chillies and a pinch of salt, then add in the okra (sliced) and gently stir over a meduim heat and when it is almost done add in the juice of one lemon.

• Aamilah
    Options

[/quote]
  • iguanaliz
    iguanaliz Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    I roast them whole. Snip the stem, but keep the cap on. Toss them in a bit of olive oil or even Pam and some salt or any spice you like. Spread them on a baking pan and roast at 400 degrees until they're done to your liking. I like to let them get darkish brown. They aren't at all slimy (because they aren't cut) and are nutty tasting. Yum!
  • amyslay
    amyslay Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    at our house we like them boild with a little salt, (yes they are slimy, but they are good)