Eat before or after exercising?

I go to the gym after work and am usually hungry by then. Should I eat a snack before I exercise or wait until I get done and eat dinner? Which is better for the metabolism and why?

Replies

• girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    personally if I exercise after work I tend to have a snack an hour or so before. This is mostly because if I am hungry that's one great excuse for me not to exercise.

First thing in the morning however, I just get up and get out, with nothing more than a glass of water to spur me on.

I don't think there's any fixed evidence to show either eating before or after is better for the metabolism or fat-burning or anything, and most people would suggest it's down to personal preference.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Do whatever keeps you comfortable and happy, neither option will have a better effect on metabolism.
  • tillerstouch
    tillerstouch Posts: 608 Member
    Do whatever keeps you comfortable and happy, neither option will have a better effect on metabolism.

This^

Whatever is best for you.
  • cityruss
    cityruss Posts: 2,493 Member
    Personal preference.
  • RaphaBianchi
    RaphaBianchi Posts: 51 Member
    However it's probably wise to eat something before exercise to keep you going.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    If I'm hungry I'll usually eat some carbs before I workout. If I expect to go over ninety minutes then I'll eat during my workout. And I always eat after my workout.