How do you determine calories burned for bicep curls?

Options
I really need to get my arms toned, but I can't find any website that gives me info on how to properly calculate calories burned per rep/set/minute, does anyone know how?

Replies

• TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Strength training is in the cardio database
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    Um.........not very many (?)

Strength training is really hard to guesstimate calorie burns. Lots of factors involved.

https://myfitnesspal.desk.com/customer/portal/articles/11170-why-don-t-you-calculate-calories-burned-for-strength-training-
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    It doesn't burn a lot so most people don't bother.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    I mean, if you were continuously doing them for like, half an hour, they might be worth counting. But don't do that, it's a terrible idea.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Are you just doing bicep curls? Your arms do consist of more muscles than just biceps. I wouldn't think a few sets of bicep curls would burn many calories, but as mentioned there is a strength training entry in the cardio database.
  • NorthCascades
    NorthCascades Posts: 10,970 Member
    Options
    1 calorie per curl.

That's equally wrong as any other guess, so use it if it makes you happy.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    you don't
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,840 Member
    Options

This ... and if I've done about 20 minutes of strength training, I'll log it as 10 minutes because there are always breaks in between reps etc., and if memory serves me right, that amounts to about 30 calories burned.

So if I spent 4 minutes doing bicep curls, I'd log it as 2 minutes ... which would be practically no calories burned ... so I probably wouldn't bother. :)

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    SonyaCele wrote: »
    i would say bicep curls burn about hardly anything. you will probably burn more calories from the act of standing while curling than the actual curling.

Double that if you do your curls in the squat rack.
  • alondrakayy
    alondrakayy Posts: 304 Member
    Options
    I wear a heart rate monitor type watch to calculate exercise cals during lifting but even that can be off.
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    Options
    I wear a heart rate monitor type watch to calculate exercise cals during lifting but even that can be off.

HRM were not designed for lifting
  • yskaldir
    yskaldir Posts: 202 Member
    Options
    Going up each step of stairs is about 0.1 calories, and you lift way more weight with that than you can curl.
  • Lizarking
    Lizarking Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »

This ... and if I've done about 20 minutes of strength training, I'll log it as 10 minutes because there are always breaks in between reps etc., and if memory serves me right, that amounts to about 30 calories burned.

So if I spent 4 minutes doing bicep curls, I'd log it as 2 minutes ... which would be practically no calories burned ... so I probably wouldn't bother. :)

I used to lift for about 70 minutes. I used an app that tracked ONLY the time spent lifting as a total. 70 minutes results in about 18-20 minutes of actual lifting.
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I wear a heart rate monitor type watch to wildly overestimate exercise cals during lifting

FIFY :)

@alondrakayy
    Sorry but that really isn't going to work. HRMs just count heartbeats, not calories.
    Rough estimate for suitable cardio, hopeless for strength training.