Favorite glute exercises

Options
Comment (in your opinion) the best glute isolating exercises that don't target the thighs so much like squats do.

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    Hip thrusts are my fave.. barbell, banded, single leg. The thrust is a must ;)
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    I like weighted glute bridges the best for isolating the glutes without working the thighs at all.
  • jessef593
    jessef593 Posts: 2,272 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Hip thrusts are my fave.. barbell, banded, single leg. The thrust is a must ;)

Aha couldn't agree more.

As non masculine as it looks. I'm a second for the barbell hip thrusts. Make those glutes burn, along with lunges, deep squats, and sumo deadlifts if you fire your glutes correctly.

• jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Glute bridge. I do hip thrusts because it hits the thighs too.
  • tlgkensei
    tlgkensei Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Front kicks on the heavy bag. Done right theyre amazing for the glutes
  • steph2strong
    steph2strong Posts: 426 Member
    Options
    Definitely #1 Hip thrusts, #2 split squats.
  • merbear787
    merbear787 Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I love Bulgarian split squats, box jumps and step ups, weighted-glute bridges, donkey kick backs on a cable machine, Romanian deadlifts (hits the hamstrings too). Another one I tried is squat-walking side to side with a resistance band on your upper calf (right below your knees).
  • rainbowbow
    rainbowbow Posts: 7,490 Member
    Options
    I hate to copy and past but i've typed this probably a hundred times... so...

" First of all it’s important to note that most women i’ve trained want to build their butt. They also have been working in an office, have been sedentary, or spend a lot of time in a sitting position throughout the day. The result? Underactive glutes that don’t completely fire during squats and quadricep dominance.

The fix? Single leg or Unilateral glute work! Think movements like: step ups, lunges/bulgarian split squats, single leg bridges, single leg hip thrusts, single leg deadlifts, pistol squats, etc.

You'll also want to make sure to perform "activators" before your workout (clams, banded lateral walks, donkey kicks, etc.)."

it's important to note that the glutes can handle pretty high volume and can recovery quickly so hitting them 2-3 times a week should be fine.

Once your glutes are actually firing and being properly recruited during these exercises (and believe me you can tell, you might even feel them firing when doing normal day to day stuff like walking up stairs) then you can work on starting the big lifts: barbel squats, barbell hip thrusts, barbell glute bridges, romanian deadlifts, etc.