141 to 131- size difference?

Otto132
Otto132 Posts: 18 Member
edited March 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi all! I don't really post much, but I lurk here. I started my journey at 161. So I'm currently 141 pounds, my goal weight is 110 ( I'm 5'2), and need to buy a dress for a particular occasion. My happy scale app says if I continue at the same rate of loss I'm experiencing now, I'll be 131/132 by the time my event rolls around. Of course, I realize I may not continue at the same rate of loss. That issue aside, I was just wondering how much difference in size there is between 141 and 131? How long should I wait to buy the dress? If I buy it now, will it be too big in ten pounds? Thoughts?

Replies

• brynnsmom
    brynnsmom Posts: 945 Member
    I'm guessing that's maybe two sizes? I'm 5'2" and went from 142-130 one summer during high school. I seem to remember that my new smaller clothes were two sizes down. Doesn't take much weight on a short frame.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    I'm a guy, but I'm going to say that it's really difficult to say. At 190 my 34 waist pants fit slightly tighter...when I'm at 180 they're slightly loser, but I'm not going to fit into the next size down.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,463 Member
    edited March 2017
    The rule of thumb is 10 lbs per size, but for some people it's 5 and others it's 15 or 20. How much did your size change in the last 10 you lost? Use that as a guide. Remember that dresses of the same rack size can fit differently because of different styles and different designers. I guess I would say to wait as long as possible if you're unsure. Also consider buying something with a forgiving fit, rather than skin tight.
  • SusanMFindlay
    SusanMFindlay Posts: 1,804 Member
    Frankly, I'd buy the dress as last minute as possible - and buy one that fits properly at that weight. Who knows what happens between now and the event. Maybe you sprain your ankle and your activity level drops. Maybe your body decides that water retention is going to be its "thing" for a few weeks. Maybe you have a big "whoosh" and drop more than you think. Personally, I'd hate to waste money on a dress that turned out to be either too big or too small on the day of the event. So, I'd just wait.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Definitely wait as long as possible. If it's a short dress and won't need a hem, you are good. I (5'4") was probably a 6/8 at 140 and a 2/4 at 130 (and 00/0/2 at 125), all from the same store, so it's really a crap shoot--especially depending on where you lose from. I lose from upper body first, so size change isn't dramatic at first but once I'm closer to goal those last 10 lbs mostly come from hips/butt, so a bigger size change. Enjoy the shopping process!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    I'd wait as long as possible. It's impossible to say really... Heck I lost a size between 140 and 132 then went back up to 140 but the size up is still loose on me.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    lorrpb wrote: »
    The rule of thumb is 10 lbs per size, but for some people it's 5 and others it's 15 or 20. How much did your size change in the last 10 you lost? Use that as a guide. Remember that dresses of the same rack size can fit differently because of different styles and different designers. I guess I would say to wait as long as possible if you're unsure. Also consider buying something with a forgiving fit, rather than skin tight.

I agree with all of this.
    I'm 5'7" and for me, the 10 lbs/size seems to be about right but it depends so much on designer, cut, etc. and also on where you tend to lose weight from.
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 799 Member
    I'm 5'0 and at 130 I was wearing a size 8. I didn't have much muscle though so if you're weight training you could be in a smaller size at the same weight.