30% carbs - 40% protein - 30% fat

Options

Replies

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,940 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    fitbethlin wrote: »
    What vanilla protein powder? I can't find any that will fit that macro list. All the trainer recommendations are chocolate, which I despise (I know, I know, I'm insane). Eggs put me over the fats really really fast.

Protein powders are inherently low in carbs and fat, so you have to add those yourself.

I fussed with my standard smoothie, and came up with this, which meets your calorie goal but is 25% C, 25% F, and 50% protein. (It's normally higher in calories and carbs, and lower in fat.)

Note: Biochem Natural is lightly vanilla; their Vanilla is overpoweringly vanilla IMO.

cc35dde3a9620e542756c6b74fed7e6a.png
  • AliceDark
    AliceDark Posts: 3,886 Member
    Options
    jjpptt2 wrote: »
    Why does each meal have to fit those %s? Can your individual meals vary, as long as your % at the end of the day are correct? This would be MUCH easier to do, and probably much easier to sustain.
    This. Very much this.

It's going to be difficult to find individual foods that fit this specific macro split, let alone construct full meals. I personally would go insane trying to do that. It's totally fine to eat meals that have different macro splits as long as your full day ends up in the correct ballpark.

(This advice is assuming that you want to continue to try to meet this split; I wouldn't personally set my protein so high and my carbs so low. If you want alternate advice about how to set up a macro split, you should definitely feel free to ask here. Lots of people will be more than happy to explain how to set your protein and fat minimums).
  • fitbethlin
    fitbethlin Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    My other half is a caregiver who took up my suggestion to get massages regularly to help with the stress of this, which is a part time job on a good week and a FT job on bad weeks.

I have done the massage route (yay for chronic back pain!), but they are expensive and don't really do anything for pain or stress for me. I know a couple of people with lupus who swear that regular massages are a key to preventing flare-ups though! Huge help for lots of people.
  • fitbethlin
    Options
    subcounter wrote: »
    What vanilla protein powder? I can't find any that will fit that macro list. All the trainer recommendations are chocolate, which I despise (I know, I know, I'm insane). Eggs put me over the fats really really fast.

usually the flavors don't change the macros of the protein powders so much. I use myprotein, its solid. You can get 90% or 80% content ones, here is what 90% vanilla flavor looks like:

Thanks for this recommendation! I ordered some from Amazon to see if it's a good fit for me. I really hope so since it comes in a bunch of flavors (though only in bigger sizes).
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,940 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    dovnkels wrote: »
    The ratios your trainer is proposing is essentially The Zone diet, by Dr. Barry Sears. If you google that, you should find lots of menu examples. Good luck!

The Zone Diet uses 30 protein/40 carbs/30 fat. I want 40 protein/30 carbs/30 fat.

Since macros are important for satiety but not for weight loss, if your trainer won't help you, the Zone macros are close enough.

ETA: Hey look, @CerberusNC does your macros: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10526327/meal-plans-40-p-30-c-30-f-approximate#latest
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    subcounter wrote: »

usually the flavors don't change the macros of the protein powders so much. I use myprotein, its solid. You can get 90% or 80% content ones, here is what 90% vanilla flavor looks like:

Thanks for this recommendation! I ordered some from Amazon to see if it's a good fit for me. I really hope so since it comes in a bunch of flavors (though only in bigger sizes).

Trutein is a great powder and also comes in a bunch of flavors. They offer sample size packets so you can try before you commit to a tub.

Just FYI.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    Why not just buy plain and flavour it yourself? You can always add vanilla extract, cocoa powder, strawberries, cherries, oranges or anything else to get the flavour you want.

• Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Also, if you order straight for the MyProtein website, you get loads of deals and specials plus you get a % off of your first order.
  • fitbethlin
    Options
    Also, if you order straight for the MyProtein website, you get loads of deals and specials plus you get a % off of your first order.

Got my myprotein from Amazon delivered yesterday. Seems like I'll like it! Thanks for the recommendation to go to the website directly; I'll check that out after a few more days of taste-testing. :)
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    @fitbethlin What flavour did you get? I use the whey impact isolate chocolate peanut butter, i make smoothies and desserts with it. It is the best tasting protein powder I've tried.
  • kirstytwin2
    kirstytwin2 Posts: 1 Member
    Options

Have egg whites instead of whole eggs.. it's the yolk that makes them high in fat and too many is yolks are bad for you so if you have 3 take 2 out or all of them, eggs are a great source of protein! and whey protein isolate is a low carb protein powder great for after a workout as it's easily and faster absorbed by the body and doesn't have a thick consistency.. whey protein is slow digesting l..although expensive I find the usn brands are nice
  • fitbethlin
    Options
    @Christine_72 I got the vanilla for a first run. It seems sweet enough without being overly sweet. I made it through the week without ever having a day that perfectly fit the macro split, but it was a good start. Next week, I have a plan that will get me closer. I definitely still go to bed hungry and wake up hungry, but I only had one day where I caved and ate a bowl of buttered popcorn to satisfy my tastebuds and my stomach. ;)

I am going to order the cookies and cream or salted caramel next! They both sound outstanding.
  • fitbethlin
    Options
    @Kirstytwin2 THanks for the recommendation on whey protein isolate and the explanation! Myprotein has a whey protein and a whey protein isolate, so I'll try the isolate next time. I still need to work out the best way to stay full from meal to meal, so I think the isolate after a workout and the why protein if I'm trying to make it between whole food meals. Great info!!
  • katy_2810
    katy_2810 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I have recently gotten a programme from a new trainer at my local gym and she has given me a lower carb, higher protein, higher fat diet with 1900 calories to play with each day.
    35% protein, 35% fat and 30% carbs.

I have just read a Women's health magazine (UK) and the recommendation there is to have 1.2g protein for every pound of body weight. My point being is that everyone has different recommendations and you have to do what suits you. When I started, I did 1400 calories a day on average and didn't track macros...just aimed to cut out "the crap". I still had white bread and regular potato because in terms of sustainability, I am always going to eat those at some point in life. I wouldn't be too strict on yourself as you will only stick at it for a few weeks then gradually you will revert to old habits.

Also, are you training or is this just a nutritional change? If you are training, you need to try and have more fuel for your body :)

Hope this helps!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,372 Member
    Options
    40% is excessive unless you're competing.
  • RosieS_1980
    RosieS_1980 Posts: 61 Member
    Options
    Myprotein do a range of powders and snacks for women. They also sell sample boxes and packs to try and do loads of flavours, not just chocolate :)
  • kimny72
    kimny72 Posts: 16,013 Member
    Options
    OP usually when people are following specific macro % it's per day, not per meal. Did the trainer say you should hit that % every time you eat? If so they really should have given you a meal plan, because that would be super challenging.

That is a crap ton of protein. Good luck, I could never get that much, and I have no idea why you would need to. Usually when people do lower carb, it's higher fat, not protein.
  • fitbethlin
    Options
    Thanks for all the feedback on the splits themselves. I'm giving this a try to see if it's something I can live with right now, not married to the idea. I do want to give it a serious go and actually test it out rather than just saying that it's not realistic.

The trainer is not a nutritional expert, which is becoming more and more apparent everytime I ask a question or when he reviews my food journal. I like the training set-up though, so I still feel like I'll stick it out with this program for a while, adjusting the nutrition as I see fit and relying on him and his team to get me through the workout component.

I am not in training specifically for a competition or a race or anything. I have a short term goal about feeling confident in a bikini in Brazil by mid-May (so more muscle and less fat). My husband is working there until then and I also like to surprise him a bit with a firmer figure when I finally see him again in May. I also have a longer-term goal about hiking 14,000ft mountains faster and with less whining. Everyone is really nice about it, but I'm the slowest hiker in my group and that can limit the number of peaks I can bag this summer. (If you're too slow, you have to start hiking at like 3:30 in the morning in order to get to the peak and get down before the deadly lightning storms start. I really like sleeping, and I don't think anyone else wants to start at 3:30 when they hike fast enough to get it done by starting at 5am.)
  • JustTrackinIt
    JustTrackinIt Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    To hit higher protein levels without spending a fortune at the grocery store I would use a pre and post Iso-whey protein shake. That alone will hit you 50 grams of protein. You can buy a casein protein to take before dinner if you are calculating your protein for the day and running low. THat will digest while you sleep and be good. Skinless chicken breast is my go to when dieting and running 50% Protein, 30% Carb, 20% fat....I have found this macro level to give me the best fat loss on my diet. Some people can run what you are running or run 40/40/20. Depends on how your body is...
  • LucasWilland
    LucasWilland Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Macronutrient percentages are just another stressor to add onto your life. You don't need them. Please do yourself a favor and ditch the trainer that says that you must have 30% carbs, 40% protein, and 30 fat. A far better idea is to set up the diet according to your personal preference, starting with protein at 0.8 to 1 gram per lb of bw, fat can be set to at least 0.4 grams per pound of bodyweight to ensure optimal hormonal health, and the rest of the calories can be divided according to your preference, depending on whether you favor fats or carbs more.