Motivation Needed

Options
So i'm about to go in my pool and do some laps, but i'm really having a hard time getting myself motivated. I want to try and lose at least 15 - 20 lbs before i get back to school and I know it's possible but it's only possible if i'm motivated and right now i have none what so ever. I measured myself and compared it to the last time i measured myself just so i could be like look i was here and i want to get there again but nothing seems to make my brain be like TURBO LET"S EAT RIGHT AND WORK OUT :) .. i want to so bad i want to eat right, work out, get fit, get healthy and my body says lets sleep and feel sad all day (just so you are aware now i am diagnosed with depression, and i do take medication for it) and the medication makes me not think of hurting myself or being harmful, but it doesn't make me like LET"S GO WORKOUT MODE .. i miss that mode, because i know when i really want something i put my mind to it and i get it done. i'm just having trouble getting focused on this and making it what i really want. Please help? I'm just looking for motivation tips or ideas or ways to get my butt in gear :)

Replies

• refinedredbird
    refinedredbird Posts: 209 Member
    Options
    One thing I do when I need to do my exercise training is just to get up and do it without even thinking about it. The longer I wait, the more excuses I will make for myself. For me, if I break that first day slump, the rest of the week I am more energized. If I take too many days off, I get in a slump again. Just get up and do it. The only real motivator is yourself.
  • xeno8604
    xeno8604 Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    "Just keep swimming, just keep swimming!!" -Finding Nemo.

Your the only one that can make the changes happen, it is very tough but when you get discouraged just remember why you wanna do it, and go for it!!
  • Karmarie24
    Karmarie24 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I start almost every run with dread, telling myself I really don't want to do this. After my first mile, I'm like, "I'm going to do 4 miles", then at 4 I say "okay I know I can do 6". You never regret working out, only not working out. Motivation is hard sometimes, you just have to get yourself out the door.

A friend to workout with helps a lot too. If you are meeting someone, you'll be way less likely to talk yourself out of it.
  • BeverlyHillsCop
    BeverlyHillsCop Posts: 94 Member
    Options
    (I totally agree with refinedredbir)

My philosophy is this: Ask yourself one question. It's a yes or no question.

Do you want it or not?

There is no middle ground. You either make that promise to yourself and commit, no matter how badly your mind may resist.
    Treat it like its a job. You need to work to eat. Work, work, work and your body will thank you in many many ways.

If you don't commit, you're only wasting your time and everyone who is trying to support you.

Just get up, and do it. NOW MAKE IT HAPPEN :D
  • BrainOnAStick
    BrainOnAStick Posts: 126 Member
    Options
    A timer is my best friend. I always figure that I can do anything for 5 minutes. So, maybe you tell yourself, I will get in the pool for just 5 minutes. And if that's all you do, then you accomplished your goal. If you do more than that, then you exceed your goal! I understand how depression can put us in that listless, tired rut. Shoot for small victories. Some days you won't achieve your goals, but it's not the end of the world.

I agree about the "get up and do it without even thinking about it." I usually get my exercise in before my brain wakes up enough to figure out what I am doing. :)

Thank you for posting. It shows that you have some motivation!
  • pwittek10
    pwittek10 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    I only want to lose 7 pounds before school starts
    It is hard !
  • _EndGame_
    _EndGame_ Posts: 770 Member
    Options
    I know what you mean, you have to be in the right frame of mind to commit yourself to something as long term as healthy eating, but once you've done it, stuck to it and see results, it gets easier.

My advice - For the first week, drag yourself out of bed. Make yourself prepare some healthy food for later in the day, eat some porridge, fruit or healthy cereal for breakfast and drink plenty of water.

Hopefully things will get easier after that. It took about 2 weeks for me to fully adjust to my new exercise and eating habits.

Good luck!
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    Not to be mean, but if we all waited until we were full of energy and motivation and absolute joy at the thought of working out or eating right, the gyms would all be empty, there would be no runners or cyclists on the road, and the produce sections at the grocery store would be overflowing with rotting vegetables.

It's not about motivation, it's about discipline. If you want it, get up and do it, whether you feel like it or not. I would much rather lay in bed in my pajamas eating cookies all day every day, but instead, I get up, work a full-time job, parent my child, cook meals, buy healthy groceries, go to school, and get to the gym so I can fit in my workouts.
  • kckBxer396
    kckBxer396 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    When I don't feel motivated, I stand in front of the mirror in my undies (yes...really). That motivates me pretty quickly. My body isn't where I want it to be,and I know unless I get off of my butt and quit being lazy, it never will be. One of my favorite sayings, "You don't get the butt you want by sitting on the one you have." also "Whether you think you can or think you can't, you're right." It's all about your mindset and willpower. Now, get moving,because we can't do the workout for you.