Frustrated! Does exercise make you gain weight??

Options
Sorry in advance for the long post. I am struggling to loose about 5-10 lbs, I weigh between 129-133 would love to be between 121-125. Height, 5ft - reason to loose, I just feel better a little smaller. I am a runner but recently (Summer) got injured and was on crutches for a couple of months. Of course no exercise. My diet did not change much at the time, kept eating almost as much as I did when I ran; I eat TONS of fresh produce. During that time the weight came off and I lost the lbs; I am back into running a little bit (not as much as before) and working out 6 days a week and the weight came back on! I am about to quit working out, but it is such a mental stress reliever for me. I burn about 1900 - 2300 calories per day. Below is what I usually eat on a daily basis
wake up 4:30am
workout
breakfast - half cup fiber one cereal with 1 cup strawberries
lunch - handful carrots, mini peppers, couple of tomatoes, 2 oz turkey and 3 light wasa crackers
snack - handful almonds and apple
dinner - 3 oz chicken, tons of fresh produce (squash, cauliflower, mushrooms, kale salad, cherry tomatoes) and half a pita. With tbls olive oil and some goat cheese.
- glass wine
AND one night a week I eat 3 slices of pizza, VERY light on the cheese/tons of veggies
- dessert - nuts, greek yogurt, small piece of chocolate, maybe one small cookie

Would love it if anyone can give me their input. My nutritionist had said before that i need to eat about 1850 on exercise days; 1350 non exercise days.

I am just very shocked that the weight came off when i stopped exercise. Apologies again for the long post but would love to see if anyone else has experienced this. TIA.

Replies

• 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    If you begin a new workout routine, or start working out again after time off, you can see temporary weight gain in the form of water retention.

I'm more concerned about your diet. That doesn't look like 1350-1850 calories and looks pretty low on protein. Also, how are you measuring your intake? Do you weigh your food on a scale?
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    can you open your diary please? it will help with more specificities rather than the generic you gave
  • Gozomalta28
    Gozomalta28 Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Yes will open my food diary but have not tracked the last couple of weeks
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Yes will open my food diary but have not tracked the last couple of weeks

You need to start tracking your portions of nuts, oil, greek yogurt (full fat or low fat), chocolate, and cookies in addition the pizza. With such a small deficit accuracy is critical for you. Furthermore a "small cookie" will look different to different people. It needs to be a quantifiable measurement such as grams or ounces.

How much weight did you gain exactly?
  • Gozomalta28
    Options
    I have not logged because I gained weight right after I started exercise. My log is pretty accurate in regards to how much I am taking - example non fat greek yogurt, 1 oz nuts etc. I am not super accurate on the non starchy vegetables. And i do use cups and a food scale. I gained my 5 lbs back. When I was injured I weighed between 126 - 128 after I started working out again I am now back to 129 - 132 - so frustrating!!!

• ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    Are you able to compare days before your injury to days while you where on crutches?

The reason I am asking is if I wonder you subconsciously ate less, causing you to lose weight, then when you started exercising again started eating more, causing the weight gain.

How tall are you by the way?
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    I'm not an expert by any means, but I have had similar experiences. When I do a heavy leg workout I'll weigh 2-3lbs more for the next 2-3 days. Not working out means this water retention doesn't happen. I've been dealing with multiple joint injuries so I will work out regular for a couple weeks, then have to take a couple weeks off because some joint is injured. I do seem to "lose" faster when I don't work out, however this is probably because I don't have the water retention from my workouts (which leads to my second point below). You might be experiencing some of this.

Also, how often do you weigh yourself? This time I only need to lose 7lbs that had creeped on over 6 years and it's been SLOW. I have to weigh myself every day and use the weekly average to figure out my loss because with so little to lose it's going to come off in really small increments that are masked by daily weight fluctuations. I had two weeks where on both Tuesdays I weight 137 but when I used the weekly average weight I had a 1.5 lb loss. If I was only weighing on Tuesdays I would have assumed I lost nothing. Tracking my weight daily for a few months and making notes about workouts, type of working out, eating out, or drinking alcohol let me figure out what actions lead to weight fluctuations. I'm at goal but I want to lose 3 pounds to give my self a cushion for shifting to maintenance. I'll track my weight daily until then then go back to twice a week.

And pay attention to food tracking. When I run I tend to snack a little more because I'm a little more hungry and sometimes I don't track all my extra nibbles. They can add up, probably not enough to cause a gain but enough to stall or slow your loss.
  • Gozomalta28
    Options
    ugofatcat wrote: »
    Are you able to compare days before your injury to days while you where on crutches?

The reason I am asking is if I wonder you subconsciously ate less, causing you to lose weight, then when you started exercising again started eating more, causing the weight gain.

I am 5ft 5. I did eat maybe a little less vegetables but really not much and I really don't think that will make the difference
    I'm not an expert by any means, but I have had similar experiences. When I do a heavy leg workout I'll weigh 2-3lbs more for the next 2-3 days. Not working out means this water retention doesn't happen. I've been dealing with multiple joint injuries so I will work out regular for a couple weeks, then have to take a couple weeks off because some joint is injured. I do seem to "lose" faster when I don't work out, however this is probably because I don't have the water retention from my workouts (which leads to my second point below). You might be experiencing some of this.

Also, how often do you weigh yourself? This time I only need to lose 7lbs that had creeped on over 6 years and it's been SLOW. I have to weigh myself every day and use the weekly average to figure out my loss because with so little to lose it's going to come off in really small increments that are masked by daily weight fluctuations. I had two weeks where on both Tuesdays I weight 137 but when I used the weekly average weight I had a 1.5 lb loss. If I was only weighing on Tuesdays I would have assumed I lost nothing. Tracking my weight daily for a few months and making notes about workouts, type of working out, eating out, or drinking alcohol let me figure out what actions lead to weight fluctuations. I'm at goal but I want to lose 3 pounds to give my self a cushion for shifting to maintenance. I'll track my weight daily until then then go back to twice a week.

And pay attention to food tracking. When I run I tend to snack a little more because I'm a little more hungry and sometimes I don't track all my extra nibbles. They can add up, probably not enough to cause a gain but enough to stall or slow your loss.

Love this! Thank you!! I do think maybe it is the water retention. I am trying really hard to give myself a day or two off sometimes. I do more cardio then strength training. I am in your same boat with very little too loose and I do think every bite counts. I only weigh myself once a week but not on a regular basis. I tend to feel very down if I gain a couple of lbs, which brings me to your other point. My weight fluctuates SO SO MUCH!!! I will follow your advice and start weighing daily. Is your diary open? I would love to take a look. Thanks again for all your help
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    Depending on how long you were not exercising you may have lost some muscle. You started exercising again and you gained it back, plus you gained water from the exercise. Weight isn't just fat. Lots of things contribute to your weight.
  • crooked_left_hook
    Options
    ugofatcat wrote: »

I am 5ft 5. I did eat maybe a little less vegetables but really not much and I really don't think that will make the difference

Love this! Thank you!! I do think maybe it is the water retention. I am trying really hard to give myself a day or two off sometimes. I do more cardio then strength training. I am in your same boat with very little too loose and I do think every bite counts. I only weigh myself once a week but not on a regular basis. I tend to feel very down if I gain a couple of lbs, which brings me to your other point. My weight fluctuates SO SO MUCH!!! I will follow your advice and start weighing daily. Is your diary open? I would love to take a look. Thanks again for all your help

My diary is open but I don't track my daily weight in MFP (I just have it in my notes on my phone). All of my food is there. Please don't judge yesterday's food...the PMS craves hit me hard yesterday and I had some serious munchies :) I'm also happy to share recipes!
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options

My weight fluctuates SO SO MUCH!!! I will follow your advice and start weighing daily. Is your diary open? I would love to take a look. Thanks again for all your help

There are a couple of good apps for capturing your weight trends...Happy Scale (ios) and Libra (Android) or trendweight.com (links to a fitbit account I believe). I personally use Libra and love it.

Good luck!

• fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Sorry in advance for the long post. I am struggling to loose about 5-10 lbs, I weigh between 129-133 would love to be between 121-125. Height, 5ft - reason to loose, I just feel better a little smaller. I am a runner but recently (Summer) got injured and was on crutches for a couple of months. Of course no exercise. My diet did not change much at the time, kept eating almost as much as I did when I ran; I eat TONS of fresh produce. During that time the weight came off and I lost the lbs; I am back into running a little bit (not as much as before) and working out 6 days a week and the weight came back on! I am about to quit working out, but it is such a mental stress reliever for me. I burn about 1900 - 2300 calories per day. Below is what I usually eat on a daily basis
    wake up 4:30am
    workout
    breakfast - half cup fiber one cereal with 1 cup strawberries
    lunch - handful carrots, mini peppers, couple of tomatoes, 2 oz turkey and 3 light wasa crackers
    snack - handful almonds and apple
    dinner - 3 oz chicken, tons of fresh produce (squash, cauliflower, mushrooms, kale salad, cherry tomatoes) and half a pita. With tbls olive oil and some goat cheese.
    - glass wine
    AND one night a week I eat 3 slices of pizza, VERY light on the cheese/tons of veggies
    - dessert - nuts, greek yogurt, small piece of chocolate, maybe one small cookie

Would love it if anyone can give me their input. My nutritionist had said before that i need to eat about 1850 on exercise days; 1350 non exercise days.

I am just very shocked that the weight came off when i stopped exercise. Apologies again for the long post but would love to see if anyone else has experienced this. TIA.

I actually do lose weight, if I go for more than a couple of weeks without exercise. That rarely happens (that I go that long), but it has a couple of times. I have assumed that it was muscle loss. It always came back, with exercise.
  • Gozomalta28
    Options
    srk369 wrote: »

My weight fluctuates SO SO MUCH!!! I will follow your advice and start weighing daily. Is your diary open? I would love to take a look. Thanks again for all your help

There are a couple of good apps for capturing your weight trends...Happy Scale (ios) and Libra (Android) or trendweight.com (links to a fitbit account I believe). I personally use Libra and love it.

Good luck!

Not familiar at all, what does it do? Tracks weight?
  • crooked_left_hook
    Options
    I note mine in my phone then transfer to an excel sheet once a week that has my calories, macros, weight, workouts, and has space for me to take notes. Then I make a graph in excel. I'm a bit of a nerd :) I was also working with a nutrition coach at one point and it was just easier to share the excel sheet with them than to verbally recount everything.
  • crooked_left_hook
    Options
    My weight fluctuates massively - 3 to 4 pounds at random day to day, up to 6lb after heavy exercise. You just need to get used to this. Attaching drama to it and using it as a reason to stop logging will not help you. It just is what it is.

It was a hard pill to swallow at first, but once I learned my pattern of fluctuation and learned the triggers it's not so traumatizing to see a couple extra pounds. Seriously, if I don't get up in the middle of the night to pee the scale will be up 1lb the next morning! It's time for Aunt Flo to visit so I'm going to be up several pounds for the next week...then like nothing, it will all disappear + some. Those days make up for the crappy ones :)
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I note mine in my phone then transfer to an excel sheet once a week that has my calories, macros, weight, workouts, and has space for me to take notes. Then I make a graph in excel. I'm a bit of a nerd :) I was also working with a nutrition coach at one point and it was just easier to share the excel sheet with them than to verbally recount everything.

you would love the excel spreadsheet my RD gave me then - it has like 10 different tabs looking at correlations between carbs/protein/fat and overall weight; sleep and weight; salt intake and weight; steps and weight