Raw vs. Cooked

Options
csgriff
csgriff Posts: 4 Member
Can anyone tell me if the nutrition information for foods listed in Myfitnesspal is for raw or cooked weight. For example, I am suppose to have 4 oz raw chicken so if I choose 4oz Foster Farms grilled chicken for 120 calories is that raw or cooked amounts?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,865 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    if you're selecting an entry that says cooked, grilled, etc then that entry is for that weight cooked...4 oz grilled chicken would have weighed more raw. Select an entry for raw.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    edited March 2017
    Options
    it would probably be best for raw foods if you search for foods that have usda info, so for chicken I would search "raw chicken breast usda" and see if you get a result for that.

The fosters farm grilled chicken you mention I imaging is some sort of chicken you buy pre-cooked.

Just an FYI, given the option try to measure out raw foods for logging, cooking can lead to variable weight due to the amount of water lost from cooking longer or shorter. Raw is usually more accurate.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    "4 oz Foster Farms grilled chicken" - I'm guessing that is bagged, frozen, pre-cooked chicken pieces.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    Agree with the others: use raw and enter raw in the database. I have found I get the best results if I start with the name, then info (like Chicken breast-boneless, skinless, raw ) the datbase is cumbersome and can be a bit finicky. Also, I pick the 1 gram entry and then enter how many grams I had. This way I get a generic entry in the recent foods part of my diary and I can just bring it up again and enter a new weight the next time I have that same thing. Saves a lot of time.
  • csgriff
    csgriff Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Thank you all so much for the responses. I am finding it a little tricky trying to track my foods correctly!
  • ktekc
    ktekc Posts: 879 Member
    Options
    if you weigh raw then log raw if you weigh cooked then log cooked. Best choice is USDA entries either way.