Hair loss

Options

Replies

• janisclan5
    janisclan5 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    janisclan5 wrote: »
    sarah4284 wrote: »
    I've had the same problem, probably 2 or 3 months after I started my diet I really noticed it. Probably lack of protein, I have such a hard time reaching my protein goal...

I really can't add more without gaining.

You could tweak your diet to amend your macros without gaining, additionally you'd only gain if you were eating more than your maintenance calories. Hair loss is a sign that something is up with your body, that should be your concern at the moment over weight loss.

Getting blood work done tomorrow, hopefully that will have some clues.
    Thank you.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    Options
    Add more vitamins to your diet I personally wouldn't be able to consume all of them every single day. So I eat Alive Vitamins.
  • janisclan5
    Options
    Thank you very much! I really have been healthier then ever. I eat three meals and a snack, all healthy well balanced. I'm encouraged to hear that it will regrow.
    Your experience sounds very similar.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 17,959 Member
    Options
    I lose a huge amount of hair when I am Vitamin D deficient.
  • gillesse
    gillesse Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    Along with what other people in this thread already mentioned, you can also apply castor oil mixed with another oil of your choice (coconut oil, almond oil, olive oil, argan oil) to your hair directly. Leave it in your hair for an hour or two and then wash it out, and keep doing this a few times a week.
  • missh1967
    missh1967 Posts: 661 Member
    Options
    Biotin has made a huge improvement in my "shedding." Also has helped my nails.
  • ssupytalp
    ssupytalp Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Also, don't forget humans have seasonal shedding too!
    We lose a lote more hair in fall/winter, then get a lot more new growth in spring/summer.

Every spring, I get a sort of fuzzy halo of new baby hairs. ;-)
  • janisclan5
    Options
    I lose a huge amount of hair when I am Vitamin D deficient.

I've been taking vitamin d for a while, maybe I'll increase it for a while. Thsnks
  • Beka3695
    Beka3695 Posts: 4,126 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    I am having the same problem. I am going to try to up my protein the next few weeks and see if it helps.

But... I would rather be bald than fat.

**edited for typo**
  • bonniehoskins
    bonniehoskins Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    missh1967 wrote: »
    Biotin has made a huge improvement in my "shedding." Also has helped my nails.

Agreed. Same here. My thinning hair was a thyroid issue. Argan shampoo helps as well.
  • msdemeanor70
    msdemeanor70 Posts: 66 Member
    Options
    I also went the biotin route - shampoo and a biotin supplement. Seems to help. Then, yesterday, my doc suggests I likely have hypothyroidism. Of course I do. I battled my weight for 40 years. I finally get it under control a couple years ago and develop hypothyroidism...
  • TxTiffani
    TxTiffani Posts: 798 Member
    Options
    I ate vegan for a few months and lost quite a bit of hair. My calories were still high (I didn't lose a pound) but my protein was super low as I'm not incredibly fond of beans and can't do soy (gi issues) which ruled out a lot of vegan protein sources. Started eating meat again and hair filled back in. For me it was a protein issue but apparently there's lots of reasons you could be thinning
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    Besides protein and fat (already mentioned) iron and biotin are needed for hair growth. You could ask your doc to run blood tests. I came back deficient in iron, B vitamins, vitamin D ... Supplements can help, you just need to be careful not to overdo it. Esp. with the iron--that can be dangerous.
  • MoiAussi93
    MoiAussi93 Posts: 1,948 Member
    Options
    The same thing happened to me after I lost a lot of weight. The doctor ran tests for thyroid, iron and checked for cancer and a bunch of other things (including vitamin D...that was a problem for me previously)...all were fine. I never got a definitive answer...but I did a lot of reading at the time and found that often when people lose a lot of weight, even if not on a very low calorie diet, it is a trauma to the body and hair loss can result. I was never on a super low cal diet, and I got plenty of protein so I know it wasn't food related.

So get some tests run, but if it is the weight loss, and it most likely is, it will grow back. Mine did.
  • tomteboda
    tomteboda Posts: 2,171 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    What are your calories...hair growth requires energy (i.e. calories)...low calorie targets can cause hair loss. Inadequate protein can also cause hair loss. Not getting enough iron can cause hair loss...iron can be found in whole grains, meat, and green leafy vegetables.
    I have it around 1600 but usually come in under. I'm pretty active. I did recently read about too low of protein and just started trying to increase that.
    Nutritionally I thought vi was doing pretty good but I guess not!

I know you said you eat 1600 calories per day, but how tall are you and how much do you weigh? And what do you mean by "I'm pretty active"? What are your NET calories (not gross, MFP will tell you this if you log exercise).
  • Dynamis600
    Dynamis600 Posts: 743 Member
    Options
    If you take vitamin D you need to make sure you are eating a good amount of green leafy vegetables, or a vitamin K2 supplement otherwise it can cause atherosclerosis.
  • MaddMaestro
    MaddMaestro Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    O_o I have not experienced this..
  • janisclan5
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    What are your calories...hair growth requires energy (i.e. calories)...low calorie targets can cause hair loss. Inadequate protein can also cause hair loss. Not getting enough iron can cause hair loss...iron can be found in whole grains, meat, and green leafy vegetables.
    I have it around 1600 but usually come in under. I'm pretty active. I did recently read about too low of protein and just started trying to increase that.
    Nutritionally I thought vi was doing pretty good but I guess not!

I know you said you eat 1600 calories per day, but how tall are you and how much do you weigh? And what do you mean by "I'm pretty active"? What are your NET calories (not gross, MFP will tell you this if you log exercise).

I am 5' 6" and am currently around 147. My job keeps me on my feet and being physical most of the day. I usually hit 10,000 steps on my Fitbit at work. I walk 4 miles up and down hills 2+ times a week and 4-5 days a week I do 30-40 minutes of strength type exercise at home, not the gym.
    So my net varies, I don't necessarily eat back my exercise calories often, but once in a while I do.
    I hope I was able to give you enough information!
  • Megan_smartiepants1970
    Megan_smartiepants1970 Posts: 39,437 Member
    Options
    My hair was getting very thin ... I have lost 55 lbs so far ... I went out and bought a bunch of vitamins and I see little hairs growing again :)