What are your must do's....

Options
IonaEllen123
IonaEllen123 Posts: 44 Member
edited March 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Hi,
What are your top must do/have when it comes to losing weight e.g. A walk before a dinner, weighing food the night before, having a green tea etc....

Replies

• sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    Eat food I like in the right quantity. (Calorie counting optional.)
    Do the exercise / training I enjoy. Set challenging goals.
    Consciously be more active / less sedentary.
    Be patient and realistic, think long term.
    Don't set arbitrary rules and restrictions.
    Take personal responsibility but forgive yourself and move on when you slip up.
  • LisaMoxon155
    LisaMoxon155 Posts: 264 Member
    Options
    Plan and prepare each meal as far as in front as possible.
  • Altess
    Altess Posts: 77 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    1. Carrots in the fridge,my go to when cravings hit. No carrots and I can justify eating anything. Carrots= no excuses.
    2. Water bottle by my bed,another 2 in the fridge filled and ready to go.
    3. Wake up,go to the bathroom and weigh myself EVERY MORNING!
    4. Eat breakfast, even if it is just carrots, cheese and my filled cold water, as I am running out the door late.
    5. Take my multivitamin, I can tell when I have missed a couple of days now.
    6. If I take a zero iced tea out of the fridge I put one back in BEFORE I shut the door, no cold iced tea in morning = cranky me till lunch.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    For purely weight loss?

1. Track calories every day I'm not on vacation.

Done.

Things I do so I get more calories and for health.

1. Exercise
    2. Focus primarily on protein
    3. Check the calories of treats before I buy them to see if they're worth it to me on that day
  • goldthistime
    goldthistime Posts: 3,214 Member
    Options
    Keep my protein levels up
    Keep my veggie/fruit consumption up
    Get some cardio in (mostly for better sleep, but also for the burn)
    Strength train
  • dustedwithsugar
    dustedwithsugar Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    Cooking low kcal meals in batches, so on busy days I don't have to worry about preparing the dinner
    Remembering that "my eyes are bigger than my belly" - I'm putting less food on my plate than I want to and I'm perfectly content and full after a meal
    When I'm hungry and I don't have many calories to spend I like to drink tea
    Also tea right before bed, it kind of signals to me that eating for the day is finished
    Saving some calories for my midnight snack, when I'm watching movies - often it's sweets or fruit, last night it was toast with cheese
    Pushing my first meal as late as possible. Eating late breakfast curbs my appetite for the day.
    Doing a lot of steps, even around the house, it gives me lots of extra calories
    I'm very close to my goal (around 10 pounds) so amount of calories I can eat per day is quite low. Focusing on protein and adding volume food, like vegetables helps me a lot.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Get plenty of sleep.
    Every day before breakfast take a few moments to log my food for the day starting with dinner, lunch, breakfast and then snacks with whatever is left. Meet calorie goal and protein goal.
    Walk 30-60 minutes a day. Try to sit less throughout the day.
    Weigh myself once a week.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    AnvilHead wrote: »
    1) Be in a caloric deficit.

That's it.

Yep, this pretty much sums up my weight loss phase :)

I did do an IF protocol, but that was just a fancy way of being in a calorie deficit. The only thing I tracked/adjusted through my 50ish pound loss was my calorie intake.
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Walking when I can, for me. And counting calories (also weighing my food).
  • bwogilvie
    bwogilvie Posts: 2,130 Member
    Options
    Count calories to ensure that you take in less than you expend, and monitor your counting against your actual progress to ensure that you are counting accurately.

That's all that is necessary. However, that's like Hillel the Elder's response to the gentile who asked whether he could teach the entire Torah while standing on one foot: "That which is hateful to you do not do to another; that is the entire Torah, and the rest is its interpretation. Go study."

However, a lot of the interpretation is very helpful. Many of us have found ways to make it easier to stay on a calorie deficit. Personally I like Michael Pollan's approach to eating, as set out in In Defense of Food: "Eat food. Not too much. Mostly plants." That is, as much as possible, avoid highly processed foods that have lost so much nutritive value that it has to be enriched by adding it back in. Minimize your intake of meat and animal fat. Don't snack very much; eat real meals, slowly, and listen to your gut.

It's also important that the changes you make are ones you can sustain over the long haul. A lot of people lose weight and then gain it back because they reach their goal and then return to their old habits. So if you're not going to give up ice cream for life, don't give it up when you are losing weight: instead, figure out how you can eat less of it and still be satisfied. That's one lesson from Yoni Freedhoff's very good book The Diet Fix.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Prep lunches for work. Find new recipes of things to eat. Keep reading information. Weigh and log my food accurately.
  • jjohnstonlni
    jjohnstonlni Posts: 42 Member
    Options
    1. On point with staying with my calorie goals
    2. Add exercise
    3. Never swap goals 2 and 3, What I'm putting in my mouth is top priority.
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    Track everything.
    Plan ahead.
    Be patient.
  • 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    These are all helpful.
    1. Don't binge
    2. Don't binge
    3. Don't binge
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    For me..
    -Be in deficit (with or without cardio, depends on how active I am or if I am nursing etc)
    -Lift weights
    -Have patience