Hormones stored in fat

Options
I've read before that estrogen is stored in fat cells and I started wondering what happens to the estrogen (or other things stored there) when fat cells are lost. Anybody know about this?

Replies

• Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    Options
    Its not a simple explanation.. You may find some useful info in this blog
    https://www.metaboliceffect.com/female-hormones-estrogen/
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Fat cells aren't lost. The cell numbers stay the same, there are just less lipids being stored in them.

Estrogens are made in fat cells and the greater body fat the greater the circulating estrogen; when you have less adipose (fat) tissue less of this type of hormone is produced, although you still have the actual fat cells there with the ability to store fat (potentially) in the future ... if that makes sense.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    You don't lose fat cells. Fat cells can expand up to six times their minimum size to store fat. Excess fat can lead to excess estrogen production. Having too low of a body fat percentage can lead to too little estrogen being produced. It doesn't "go" anywhere it just doesn't get produced in the first place.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    It's not just estrogen either. Contrary to what was believed forever, bodyfat is essentially it's own massive endocrine system.

Leptin, aromatase, TNF alpha, angiotensin, lipoprotein lipase, etc. are all examples of hormones originating from adiopose tissue.
  • RAinWA
    RAinWA Posts: 1,980 Member
    Options
    My experience only - when I was losing (I lost 125+ pounds) my hormones went all kinds of whacked. Had to change dosages on my HRT several times (I've also had a complete hysterectomy). My doctor's explanation (which I suspect is rather simplistic) was that my system was flooded with the estrogen that was stored in the fat cells.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »
    My experience only - when I was losing (I lost 125+ pounds) my hormones went all kinds of whacked. Had to change dosages on my HRT several times (I've also had a complete hysterectomy). My doctor's explanation (which I suspect is rather simplistic) was that my system was flooded with the estrogen that was stored in the fat cells.

I wasn't on HRT, but I was menopausal when I started losing and my body tried to have a cycle after not having any. I got breast tenderness like you'd get from PMS and the accompanying water weight gain a couple of times. It was really weird.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,523 Member
    Options
    It's not just estrogen either. Contrary to what was believed forever, bodyfat is essentially it's own massive endocrine system.

Leptin, aromatase, TNF alpha, angiotensin, lipoprotein lipase, etc. are all examples of hormones originating from adiopose tissue.
    This. The issue is EXCESS fat and that's controllable if one wants to do it.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    RAinWA wrote: »

This sounds like a doctor's way of saying, "Be patient and this will pass."