Soylent 2.0 based diet - 90 lb weight loss goal

Options

Replies

• crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    tomteboda wrote: »
    Most unfortunate product name ever.

I LOVE Hello Fresh. The calories were a little high for me while I am trying to cut, but I still got it once a month for some variety. Once I go into maintenance the calories are perfect, and the food is great, so I will go back to weekly deliveries. Hello Fresh actually helped me learn to cook, broadened my pallet in regards to veggies, and I've built up a really good base of healthy recipes from them as well, both meat based and vegetarian. And the cost is the same as what I would spend on groceries for the same meals. I highly recommend them.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I cook for two so I hear you about trying to eat up foods before they go bad. For meal planning consider stocking your freezer with some veggies and fruits. I buy a roast of some kind every other week and the leftovers make many many meals afterwards.

I just cooked a roast pork loin a week ago, also thickening the juices in to a gravy, and it is still feeding us; reheated, shredded, in sandwiches and on rice.
  • Hoshiko
    Hoshiko Posts: 179 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I know this will make me sound like an ad, and you're getting a lot of criticism here, but soylent is one of the few meal replacement products out there with a good scientifically researched background. I know a lot of engineer/nerdy types who use it as a meal replacement because they often forget to eat and have terrible diets, and it works for them.

I do also know one person who used it as a weight-loss tool, but they didn't replace every meal, just lunch. It worked, but mostly because it curbed her snacking instinct while at work. Sounds like you're doing this more as a way to save money and break bad habits, and I guess it could also be successful in that way. I mean, worse case scenario you end up using it once a day or so and go back to planning healthy meals.

Anyway, I wish you luck and am interested to see how you get along. Also realize that 1200 is a bit low, so you might want to consider adding a 4th shake to get in all of your nutrients, because it's not designed to be a weight-loss product and the macros/vitamins are calibrated for ~1600 calories minimum.

EDITED to add: I just saw you're not going 100% soylent, so that's good. In that case I think this could be a good tool for you, and I wish you luck!
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options
    MaryMurrah wrote: »
    I don't know anything about Soylent, but am interested in your journey. I don't know your story either, but seems that money spent on food at Traders Joe's for your meals would not be a waste of money. But purchasing 120 bottles of Soylent has got to be expensive!

I wish you the best on your journey!

The Trader Joe's thing has shown me how I'm not great at budgeting and planning for 1 person. It was easy to establish a pantry but I'm finding myself wasting perishable items because I'm not able to eat all of the food before it goes bad. A bag of kale doesn't go bad for 5 days but by day 3 I'm sick of having it for every meal. If I don't put it in every meal, I can't finish it by the time it goes bad.

This is why I buy frozen food, and some canned like tuna and beans. I occasionally buy whole fruit or something I can prepare at once, usually on a weekend. I pack frozen veggies and protein in a pyrex and the microwave it at work.
  • MaryMurrah
    MaryMurrah Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    WinoGelato wrote: »
    I don't know anything about Soylent, but am interested in your journey. I don't know your story either, but seems that money spent on food at Traders Joe's for your meals would not be a waste of money. But purchasing 120 bottles of Soylent has got to be expensive!

The Trader Joe's thing has shown me how I'm not great at budgeting and planning for 1 person. It was easy to establish a pantry but I'm finding myself wasting perishable items because I'm not able to eat all of the food before it goes bad. A bag of kale doesn't go bad for 5 days but by day 3 I'm sick of having it for every meal. If I don't put it in every meal, I can't finish it by the time it goes bad.

I was able to get 120 bottles for $75. Not a Soylent plug but due to another person finding they're unable to drink due to taste.

I'm a little confused at how you get bored of eating the same foods like Kale meal after meal but are going to try Soylent for a majority of your nourishment?

That's exactly the point. Day 1 concluded with another 2.0 for dinner. I didn't get home until 11:30 and was feeling peckish like I wanted to eat something. I don't think I was actually hungry. It was late and I didn't want to cook and wake up my roommates and I was tempted to order a pizza. I sat for a while and realized I wasn't actually hungry at all, just wanted to chew something. I did some jaw exercises while doing my nightly wind-down yoga and fell asleep pretty quickly.
  • MaryMurrah
    Options
    Day 2: 3/12/17 #SundayFunday

I feel really good after waking up. I'm gonna hit the gym today for some cardio and upper body work. #SundayFunday usually involves watching SNL, sports recaps or games later in the day, maybe a movie. A lot of sedentary stuff. I'm gonna shower and get ra day for the gym while watching SNL and then I'll probably watch my sports stuff at the gym.

After day 1 of only Soylent I feel pretty great. My bowl movement was normal and my urine was total healthy. I read somewhere that I should increase my water intake so I crushed it yesterday with like 80-92 ounces. I picked up some iron supplements and I'm going to buy some benefiber and the women's vitamin tomorrow. I'm glad I visited my primary for a physical about a month ago because I have some baseline blood work.

I'm going to prep lunch for Monday today. And then Monday I'll make dinner and split that with lunch the next day. I'm thinking about my usual sweet potato quinoa black bean chili. I have 10 minute Farro as well. Let me know your favorite grains!

Feel free to add me on MFP!!
  • karahm78
    karahm78 Posts: 505 Member
    Options
    You keep referring back to wasting perishables.... have you considered one of the meal delivery services where they send you everything you need to prep, like Blue Apron or Plated? I have never used these but it would seem like a fit for you, just enough meat/produce to prep the meals for dinner and have leftovers for lunch?
  • kommodevaran
    kommodevaran Posts: 17,890 Member
    Options
    My favorite grains: Wheat, rye, barley, oats, corn, rice, millet.
  • MaryMurrah
    edited March 2017
    Options
    ... looking for community here... I don't even need a blanket of Yes-Men support, I'm totally fine and welcome and appreciate constructive criticism. [post edited by MFP moderators]
  • MaryMurrah
    Options
    Day 3: 3/13/17 #MoneyMonday

Monday's are always fun because I actually enjoy the challenge of starting a new work week. There's always something hectic and urgent to deal with at work, and I actually enjoy dealing with those small fires. Previously, I had been focusing too much on the fires and not enough on me and preparing myself not only for the mini fires but myself for the day/week.

Whereas usually I'd buy a 'healthy' Dunkin' Donuts breakfast, I drank a Soylent for breakfast and didn't crave a lunch until 1pm. I did drink coffee this morning... didn't really need it, but was used to the routine with a colleague. Gotta break that!

#MoneyMonday is all about making-not breaking- the bank. I've gotten better about not spending any money on mondays. Previously on Mondays I would 'allow' myself to take a Lyft/Uber to work, which was an expensive way of dealing with my lateness, which was a result of me not managing my physical needs in time to be ready for work. Despite the daylight savings time change AND my phone/alarm clock dying last night, I still woke up on time and got to work on time. 100% improvement and I give Soylent 20% credit for making my body feel good the night before and for getting me through the morning just fine!

Feel free to add me on MFP! Always here for new friends in fitness!!

• Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    karahm78 wrote: »
    You keep referring back to wasting perishables.... have you considered one of the meal delivery services where they send you everything you need to prep, like Blue Apron or Plated? I have never used these but it would seem like a fit for you, just enough meat/produce to prep the meals for dinner and have leftovers for lunch?

I like the concept of those, but they are expensive, which is part of what OP was trying to get away from. Not that a regular order of Soylent wouldn't be expensive too. :smiley:
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options

I was able to get 120 bottles for $75. Not a Soylent plug but due to another person finding they're unable to drink due to taste.

you do know you can freeze the fruits and veggies in individual baggies and that way there is NO waste,right?
    you can have it at a later time,instead of trying to eat it everyday before it goes bad. I buy stuff and freeze it often for future use.of course some things cant be frozen,but veggies,and a lot of fruits can.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    they seem expensive, but there have been several comparisons done online and when you take into account the often times weird amount of something required (where you need to buy more needed due to how products are packaged) - they breakout about even as buying all the individual ingredients
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    It's interesting you have turned to this when you were losing at a perfectly good and reasonable rate. And now it would appear you are going to lose at an unhealthy weight by drastically cutting calories, particularly if you don't log and eat back any exercise calories.

these soylent drinks are like 400+ calories or at least the one they sent me was, I didnt drink it though I just tossed it in the trash because no way do I want to drink something that is 400 calories.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    It's interesting you have turned to this when you were losing at a perfectly good and reasonable rate. And now it would appear you are going to lose at an unhealthy weight by drastically cutting calories, particularly if you don't log and eat back any exercise calories.

these soylent drinks are like 400+ calories or at least the one they sent me was, I didnt drink it though I just tossed it in the trash because no way do I want to drink something that is 400 calories.

So 400 x 3 = 1200. Much lower than OP was eating and losing at.

Also, on the waste thing. Do you not have a grocers/loose fruit and veg section you can just buy a couple days worth of each veggie from. I live alone and I can just buy a single head of lettuce/small bag, a few tomatoes, potatoes, whatever. Same with the in store butchers (though the prepackaged stuff comes in small enough sizes too).
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options

So 400 x 3 = 1200. Much lower than OP was eating and losing at.

Also, on the waste thing. Do you not have a grocers/loose fruit and veg section you can just buy a couple days worth of each veggie from. I live alone and I can just buy a single head of lettuce/small bag, a few tomatoes, potatoes, whatever. Same with the in store butchers (though the prepackaged stuff comes in small enough sizes too).

true at lower than they were losing at but the OP said they were going to also incorporate other foods as well. so. I dont agree with drinking your meals but to each their own.They are the ones who will have to deal with trying to keep it off in the long term.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options

these soylent drinks are like 400+ calories or at least the one they sent me was, I didn't drink it though I just tossed it in the trash because no way do I want to drink something that is 400 calories.

I read up on them and they are meant to be a complete meal substitute more than a diet aid. x5 a day gives the ave 2k calories needed by most for maintenance.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    Options
    Theo166 wrote: »

these soylent drinks are like 400+ calories or at least the one they sent me was, I didn't drink it though I just tossed it in the trash because no way do I want to drink something that is 400 calories.

I read up on them and they are meant to be a complete meal substitute more than a diet aid. x5 a day gives the ave 2k calories needed by most for maintenance.

I get that,I didnt say they were to be used for diet aid. I threw mine out because I dont need 400 calories from a drink whether its a meal replacement or not.I can make a protein shake with greens,fruits and other things and use it as a meal replacement too for less calories.I do that very very rarely.Id rather chew my food though so.
This discussion has been closed.