Do you think I'm eating too much?

2»

Replies

• sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    I'm not sure how many calories I should be eating really.
    I'm 5ft 7 31 yrs old and weigh 9 stone 10lbs
    I would like to get down to 8stond 7lbs
    I've set my diary to 1/2 pound a week

That's pretty much the lowest weight you can healthily be for your height?

Yea I am not sure why you are aiming for such a low weight.. I don't think losing that much more weight is going to help if you aren't happy with your current composition.. What are your goals?
  • allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    I'm not sure how many calories I should be eating really.
    I'm 5ft 7 31 yrs old and weigh 9 stone 10lbs
    I would like to get down to 8stond 7lbs
    I've set my diary to 1/2 pound a week

You are currently a healthy weight (BMI 21.3). Your goal is BMI 18.6.
  • sarahlou23xx
    sarahlou23xx Posts: 20 Member
    I think it's with being at a usual low weight then putting on nearly 2 stone over 3 years..
    I noticed my usual size 8uk wasn't fitting as it used to so would like to feel good about myself again
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I think it's with being at a usual low weight then putting on nearly 2 stone over 3 years..
    I noticed my usual size 8uk wasn't fitting as it used to so would like to feel good about myself again

Feeling good about yourself shouldn't be dependant on scale weight.
  • sarahlou23xx
    I'm not sure if I was eating too much foods with lots of sodium but my face was looking bloated.
    I've noticed over the last month that has gone away ..which I'm pleased about
  • MomReborn
    MomReborn Posts: 145 Member
    I used to think the veterans here were being super-anal about the actual food weight of an item. Definitely start weighing your food and logging it properly. Use actual grams/kilograms instead of cups or "1 serving" as seen on those ridiculous individual serving packets (apologies if they don't do that where you're from). You may not be getting in enough of the right nutrients. Also, no food is "naughty". If you are logging your exercise here, you can compensate for your calories by working them off. You don't have a severely aggressive goal, so it should not be so difficult to do. Find what's sustainable for you, and take time to love yourself as you, not based on measurements <3
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    I'm not being super anal, but knowing how much you're eating is important to understanding the calories you're eating, especially when the OP asked if they're eating too little. We don't know, because it's all guesstimates from what is being relayed to us, so trying to make someone understand the why's of why it's important is what is trying to be impressed upon them.
    You can't call us anal then turn around and tell them to definitely start weighing and logging. :tongue:
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    I read that as "I used to think the veterans"...meaning now they see the importance of weighing and logging properly. Eh, that was just my take :)
  • TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Breakfast -banana,1 small slice whole meal bread with 1 scrambled egg
    Lunch-chicken salad 280 cals
    Snack -1 biscuit (naughty I know)
    Dinner -chicken,new potatoes,veg
    Snack -1 slice whole meal toast with tiny bit strawberry jam
    Water

Sounds like very little. What's the total amount of calories for that?
  • sarahlou23xx
    1406 according to my diary
  • sympha01
    sympha01 Posts: 942 Member
    I see people all the time who seem unsure if they are eating "too much" or not enough or the "wrong" things but they seem unwilling to measure their portions.

If you are not sure if you are eating enough or too much, measure your portions before trying to tell anything else. One (skinless, cooked) chicken breast might be 5 oz of chicken (@234 cal) or it might be over a pound (>@748 cal) I weigh mine from the store and I've seen a ton of variation. And that's something simple and nutrient-dense: imagine what a difference it makes with grains, peanut butter, sugary things. Chicken breasts are "good for you" but calories are the important thing ultimately to know if you're eating enough or eating too little.

A lot of people will tell you you "have" to use a scale, and while I agree a food scale is best, if measuring cups work better for you, try that first. Measuring cups are better than eyeballs or guessing, that's for sure.
  • LessCookiess
    LessCookiess Posts: 538 Member
    According to the diary it's 1406 cals...
    I do 1 hours walking per day so I'm assuming I'm burning some calories off.
    By 5pm tho I'm starving and feeling light headed slightly so might need to add a better snack
    Are you eating back at least half of your workout calories? MFP calculates weight loss before working out, so any workout calories is just extra calories to eat. However, members on here often say numbers can be a bit more than what it really is so eating back at least half is fair.