Is there such thing as bad food?

Options
Everywhere I look people are saying you can eat whatever you want aslong as your under your calories but I just find it hard to believe that I could walk to the shop and buy a massive bag of malteasers and aslong as I'm under my calories I'm gonna lose wieght? Anyone help me

Replies

• Hardcastle99
    Hardcastle99 Posts: 46 Member
    Options
    No I wouldn't lol but I just found it hard to believe!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    As long as you eat fewer calories than you burn you will lose weight. However, if you don't have balance nutrition you may find yourself craving some foods and it will be more difficult to stay under on calories.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    iv lost majority of my weight eating burgers and wraps and things people would say are "bad foods" those people are silly though, Delicious yummy goodness. As long as you feel good and energized off what you eat...or atleast the majority of it, Your fine. You do you.
  • Hardcastle99
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm always around 500 under my calories, is this healthy and am I losing weight faster than I would be if I was 100 under? I'm set 2160 a day
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    Everywhere I look people are saying you can eat whatever you want aslong as your under your calories but I just find it hard to believe that I could walk to the shop and buy a massive bag of malteasers and aslong as I'm under my calories I'm gonna lose wieght? Anyone help me

You can eat whatever you want and lose weight if you're eating in a calorie deficit.

Would eating 1500 cals of malteasers hit my macro goals or give me enough vitamins etc that i need? No, so I wouldn't do it, but I could if all I was bothered about was weight loss.

Google the twinkie diet.
  • emmarrgh
    emmarrgh Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    Well a big bag of maltesers would be about 650 calories, and I'd probably feel sick for a while after, then STARVING by the end of the day and a normal dinner would put me over my calories.

But I do successfully lose weight while nibbling cheesecake, pizza, chocolate and McDonald's. Just not huge portions, and not every day.
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    emmarrgh wrote: »
    Well a big bag of maltesers would be about 650 calories, and I'd probably feel sick for a while after, then STARVING by the end of the day and a normal dinner would put me over my calories.

But I do successfully lose weight while nibbling cheesecake, pizza, chocolate and McDonald's. Just not huge portions, and not every day.

I used to be able to eat a big bag for supper whilst watching TV... no wonder I put weight on!!
  • TavistockToad
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I'm always around 500 under my calories, is this healthy and am I losing weight faster than I would be if I was 100 under? I'm set 2160 a day

Eat to your goal, it includes a deficit. Eating 500 cals under means you're more likely to be burning muscle as well as fat which isn't healthy
  • Hardcastle99
    Options

You can eat whatever you want and lose weight if you're eating in a calorie deficit.

Would eating 1500 cals of malteasers hit my macro goals or give me enough vitamins etc that i need? No, so I wouldn't do it, but I could if all I was bothered about was weight loss.

Google the twinkie diet.

That's crazy haha! I'm over here in the U.K. So hard for me to grab a Twinkie and to be honest I've never even tasted one
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Google the twinkie diet.

That's crazy haha! I'm over here in the U.K. So hard for me to grab a Twinkie and to be honest I've never even tasted one

The twinkie diet was done by a man to prove that you could lose weight just eating 'junk' food... not a suggestion :noway:
  • Hardcastle99
    Options

I used to be able to eat a big bag for supper whilst watching TV... no wonder I put weight on!!

Ohh I'm set 2160 and if I eat that exacatly I'm still in a deficit? Me too...
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options

Yep, weight loss really is about calorie intake, and being at the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals. However, how realistic would it be for you to stick to that deficit for any amount of time, eating only malteasers (I don't even know what that is lol).

I'm a firm believer that there are no 'good' or 'bad' foods. However I also focus on a varied and balanced diet that includes all the foods I enjoy-from sweet potatoes and spinach, to cookies and Fritos :) No need to cut out anything you like eating, but learn how to include them into a well balanced diet.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Now I want Maltesers. Within my calories of course. But still. I need to stop coming into the "can I eat ...... and still lose weight?" threads late at night with no shop to go to.
  • dustedwithsugar
    dustedwithsugar Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    It's true, you'll lose weight as long as you're in caloric deficit. But you might be hungry if all you eat all day is Maltesers!
  • TavistockToad
    Options

Ohh I'm set 2160 and if I eat that exacatly I'm still in a deficit? Me too...

If that's what mfp gives you to lose weight, yes.
  • markrgeary1
    markrgeary1 Posts: 853 Member
    Options
    Yes there is bad food! I ate at the Phoenix in downtown KCMO and they fed me bad homemade mayo full of Salmonella!

Three days in the bathroom and then three days in the gastrointestinal unit! Really bad food.