2»

Replies

• cmriverside
    cmriverside Posts: 34,124 Member
    Options
    MomReborn wrote: »
    rdmitch wrote: »
    Since I'm prone to leg cramps from lack of potassium.....[img][/img]

Oh, I've seen these before, but have not jumped into taking any further supplements besides a multivitamin. I might research this brand a bit more in the future :) Thanks!

Unless you have been advised by a doctor to supplement potassium, that's one of the ones that should NOT be supplemented. In First World countries, if you are eating two or three vegetables a day you're probably fine.

Careful with supplementing potassium.

I use entries in the database with potassium added - lots of them I added myself - I like to track it, it causes me to eat more fruit and vegetables. Most days I can hit it, but I eat easily 600g of vegetables a day.

Those 99mg tabs are a joke, honestly. I use potassium chloride in place of table salt. My potassium intake it usually 4-10x my sodium intake. So long as you aren't dumb and try to eat half a bottle of the supps with no food on your stomach, you'll be fine. The body is really good at regulating those electrolytes, so long as you don't massively spike it all at once.

So why waste money on it? I don't think any of those Nature's Bounty vitamins are very good, are you the guy with the link to the site about vitamins and ratings? Did you post it already? I didn't look at the thread.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    rdmitch wrote: »
    Since I'm prone to leg cramps from lack of potassium.....[img][/img]

Oh, I've seen these before, but have not jumped into taking any further supplements besides a multivitamin. I might research this brand a bit more in the future :) Thanks!

Unless you have been advised by a doctor to supplement potassium, that's one of the ones that should NOT be supplemented. In First World countries, if you are eating two or three vegetables a day you're probably fine.

Careful with supplementing potassium.

I use entries in the database with potassium added - lots of them I added myself - I like to track it, it causes me to eat more fruit and vegetables. Most days I can hit it, but I eat easily 600g of vegetables a day.

Those 99mg tabs are a joke, honestly. I use potassium chloride in place of table salt. My potassium intake it usually 4-10x my sodium intake. So long as you aren't dumb and try to eat half a bottle of the supps with no food on your stomach, you'll be fine. The body is really good at regulating those electrolytes, so long as you don't massively spike it all at once.

So why waste money on it? I don't think any of those Nature's Bounty vitamins are very good, are you the guy with the link to the site about vitamins and ratings? Did you post it already? I didn't look at the thread.

There's no potassium supps tested there, because they are generally considered worthless due to low dosing. They'll probably mever get tested on labdoor.com

The only ones that would be worth testing are the prescription strength ones, and those are already regulted enough to be of no concern.

ETA; I wouldn't waste money on them, personally. NoSalt is one hell of a lot cheaper, and tastes decent. It's like people who use *kitten* cinnamon and tumeric pills. Quit that expensive nonsense and just put it on food from the spice rack.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    There's no potassium supps tested there, because they are generally considered worthless due to low dosing. They'll probably mever get tested on labdoor.com

The only ones that would be worth testing are the prescription strength ones, and those are already regulted enough to be of no concern.

ETA; I wouldn't waste money on them, personally. NoSalt is one hell of a lot cheaper, and tastes decent. It's like people who use *kitten* cinnamon and tumeric pills. Quit that expensive nonsense and just put it on food from the spice rack.

I dunno about that. I've tried it and thought it was blech. But I agree about supplementing potassium. Only with a Dr.s orders.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I often have to look through a couple of database entries to make sure the potassium content is included but I have no trouble averaging close to 3500 mg/day.
  • MomReborn
    MomReborn Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's inputs. I'll definitely take a closer look at the foods I'm eating to make sure I'm properly logging. I'm definitely a fan of potatoes, so that's definitely a plus. From what I'm learning from you all, it sounds like I may have been overthinking the whole issue :D
  • Gallowmere1984
    Options
    Thanks for everyone's inputs. I'll definitely take a closer look at the foods I'm eating to make sure I'm properly logging. I'm definitely a fan of potatoes, so that's definitely a plus. From what I'm learning from you all, it sounds like I may have been overthinking the whole issue :D

It's an easy trap to fall into.
  • DannyYMi54321
    DannyYMi54321 Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    Leg cramps - ugh! I've had some epic, horrible nights thanks to leg cramps. Worst ones are in the back of the thighs - when they hit both legs at once. You just want to die.

I take a prescription diuretic Bumex(/bumetanide 2 mg 1-2 per day as needed, generally about every 2-3 days if I'm lucky and careful about salt in my diet) to control edema caused by other prescription drugs I take, ironic also those drugs cause edema but treat conditions where edema is a symptom - edema is one of those universal responses to a body under seige I guess.

It's a necessary evil. I take a prescription KCl supplement, K-Dur 20 Meq - not sure how it equates to miligrams, but it's equivalent by size/weight to about 4 of the OTC 100 mg K supplement tablets I've used in a pinch when I've run out temporarily until it's convenient to get a refill. Apples to oranges chemically but it's a starting point at least on the dosage question.

On the days I need to used Bumex, taking a K-Dur and 2 OTC 250 mg Mg gluconate tablets plus drinking a lot of water, about 4 hours after when the feeling of muscle weakness - well, not sure what to call it, but it's a known response when I take Bumex - sets in, make it tolerable.

I take Bumex in the morning, generally cramps aren't bad until night because I'm moving. Keep drinking water or Gatorade during the day/evening, and eat a small serving of something salty - not an excuse to binge mind you. Ibuprofen, more electrolytes at bedtime help. I didn't get much sleep tonight in fact, numerous minor cramps in my ankles. Even after all of that. I finally resorted to "baking them out" by wrapping my legs in an electric blanket and cranking it as warm as I could stand for several hours. My treatment of last resort - hot and sweaty still beats leg cramps.

Damned if you do, damned if you don't with diuretics. The edema can be pretty extreme if allowed to go unchecked, and my body on its own can't sufficiently fight it.
  • LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Great question. Even with a prescription potassium supplement, a multivitamin, and eating a banana every single day, I often don't hit 3500. In fact the only time I do is if I eat a substantial amount of potatoes...great reason to leave that carb in the diet! I have a terrible time getting enough potassium and protein for some reason.
  • Gallowmere1984
    edited March 2017
    Options
    LadyLilion wrote: »
    Great question. Even with a prescription potassium supplement, a multivitamin, and eating a banana every single day, I often don't hit 3500. In fact the only time I do is if I eat a substantial amount of potatoes...great reason to leave that carb in the diet! I have a terrible time getting enough potassium and protein for some reason.

Eat salmon, chicken, tilapia and whiting. There, you just fixed both problems. :D
  • Pooshka2
    Pooshka2 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    If your potassium levels are normal, 3500 is reasonable. I've got the opposite problem, I'm at the high end and need to limit my intake to 2000 a day.

Pretty much anything healthy (meats, whole grains, many fruits & veggies) are high in potassium (> 200 mg per serving). I'm trying to find those low-potassium healthy foods to fill in calories, since I'm down to half portions of meals.
  • ActivatedAlm0nds
    ActivatedAlm0nds Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    pinuplove wrote: »
    v6b9kgylg5fn.jpg

Accuracy not guaranteed :smile: Random internet chart!
    I had no idea cantaloupe had so much. I was wondering why my potassium was so high yesterday, lol
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    People always forget stuff like chicken, salmon and lean beef. Those have amazing sodium:potassium ratios, though they obviously come with more kcals due to density.

Yes...

Potatoes and sweet potatoes also...a banana pales in comparison to a potato.