Hip injury. Looking for some extra support.

Options
Greetings everyone!

I am an athletic person who has acquired a hip injury that has put me out of cardiovascular exercise and weight lifting for three months. I finally got cleared to use the stationary bike and do squats. I have gained 15 pounds these past several months and don't know how to make 1200 calories work. I am so hungry all of the time. I'm feeling a little hopeless. Any support or tips would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to add me and we can encourage one another!

Replies

• keanesonia7
    keanesonia7 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Hi Melissa. Unfortunately, as we strive to keep fit, we also abuse our bodies sometimes. Just so you know---your body is trying to tell you to slow down. A runner for 25 years, my right hip finally gave out and I was forced to have a hip replacement. Great surgeon and fantastic recovery...back in the gym after three weeks. It wasn't easy, but it is doable. Medicine has come a long way and doctors can do miracles these days...truly. I have switched to spin classes, Les Mills body pump and body flow classes, along with yoga a couple of times a week. You know you can do static exercises with your own body weight so no need to put a bar on your shoulders...that hurts the hip/lower back. You can do this. No need for high impact, just consistent work. As far as the 1200 cals, I agree with you! I find little ways to fill up: a spoonful of peanut butter in between, gluten free bread for breakfast...lots of EGGS! Salads mostly for dinner, but can never give up the vino. Stay health and smart...you are young (from your photo), so take care of your body...only one to carry you through.
  • Fallfrenzy
    Fallfrenzy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I had pretty good MCL Grade 2 knee sprain that took much longer than I or the physical therapist thought it would take. I could not do any cardio other than ride the stationary bike or walking. Drove me crazy, but I am making it work as jogging still tweeks my knee on occasion. I just started doing intervals on the bike. I put my weight loss at .5-1 pound loss a week and ate back about 75-80% of my exercise calories. I was never at 1200 because of that. To fill myself up, I did lean protein dense salads in the evening and I took to having smaller meals throughout the day since my tendency is to snack. Rather than having my whole sandwich at lunch, I had half at lunch with some carrots and the other half as a mid-afternoon snack with some more carrots. For the most part this works for me. You will figure out something that will work for you.
  • tinkerbellang83
    tinkerbellang83 Posts: 9,069 Member
    Options
    don't know how to make 1200 calories work. I am so hungry all of the time. I'm feeling a little hopeless. Any support or tips would be greatly appreciated. Feel free to add me and we can encourage one another!

Have you set yourself at the most agressive weight loss rate? (set it a little slower and you will get an increased intake and will still be in a deficit). A lot of people set themselves up as wanting to lose 2lb per week but that's not necessarily the best way to do it, particularly when you have only 15lb to lose.

3 Months isn't the end of the world take it easy let your body heal. I twisted my pelvis out last year and found some great low impact cardio video workouts aimed at people who may have had knee/back injuries on Youtube (HASFIT is my favourite channel for it) and also did some stretching routines. Are you ok walking, that too can be a great way to earn some extra calories? Obviously anything like this you would want to discuss with your doc first.
  • jammkma
    jammkma Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Hi, I have my rt hip scheduled for 7/17...I plan on lots of therapy (heated) pool for preparing and recuperating ... Can do aerobic speed (cardio level) walking with little impact...explore in your local:)
  • melissaautumn
    melissaautumn Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    You all are the best. Thanks for cheering me on. I've got a long road and it is so hard not to get discouraged. Those last 10 pounds really are the hardest to lose. Everytime I slip up I get so mad at myself because I know that I can't exercise. Maybe I need to be more realistic about healing. Thanks everyone!