What is considered running as opposed to jogging?

Options
Is running/jogging at 5.0 with an 2.0 incline running or a jogging.

Replies

• spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,679 Member
    Options
    It's all running. Jogging is usually thought to be slower and easier, but it's still running.
  • lorrpb
    lorrpb Posts: 11,464 Member
    Options
    Whichever makes you happy
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    First let's think about the word 'jog.'

Etymologically speaking jog is to push or shake, jostle. In equestrian a jog is a trot. In some instances it's used to mean a change in direction (navigation), or to vary the rate of advance (audio, visual editing).

Here, we're interested in bipedal motion. I think there are two ways to consider what a jog is:

1)Biomechanically. The take off and initial swing phases are much less pronounced.
    2) Pace. On average anything greater than 12 minute per mile pace but less than 18 is a jog.

Well, there's a third. Marketing. To wit IF YOU RAN WITHOUT SACRIFICE, CONGRATULATIONS. YOU JUST JOGGED.
  • sbrandt37
    sbrandt37 Posts: 403 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Jogging is a term used for a moderate version of running usually done for exercise. Given that, all jogging is running.
  • dpwellman
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I wanted to include this too. I have it saved elsewhere. The following is from Pearl Izumi's 2008 ad campaign for its line of running shoes:

If You’re Not Sure Whether You Are Running Or Jogging, Go Faster
    Many people have tried to identify the precise point at which running becomes jogging, and vice versa. Some contend it is 7 minute miles. But, it’s not about that. Ultramarathoners don’t run very fast, but they sure as hell run. The truth is the line between running and jogging is different for every person; and every person knows just where it is for them. It’s all about feel. If it feels like something you would do on a treadmill, or at the helm of a tricked-out baby stroller, you’re probably jogging. If it feels like something that might make other people nervous, you’re running. And if you’re ever in doubt, you can always err on the side of running by going a little faster.
  • Tracieisfitastic
    Tracieisfitastic Posts: 104 Member
    Options
    I love these responses.
  • dewd2
    dewd2 Posts: 2,449 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    dpwellman wrote: »

Well, there's a third. Marketing. To wit IF YOU RAN WITHOUT SACRIFICE, CONGRATULATIONS. YOU JUST JOGGED.

Huh?

I 'run' all the time without 'sacrifice'. It is called training. Tomorrow I'll run 20 miles. It will be hard at the end since it will b the first run of 20 miles since November. It won't be so hard to call it a 'sacrifice'. Monday I am running 6 very easy miles. No sacrifice (recovery). It is still running.

Speed is meaningless. If you have both feet off the ground on every stride, you are running.
  • dpwellman
    Options
    @dewd2 Marketing.
  • dpwellman
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »
    That's about 100 words or more when 7 would do:
    "There is no such thing as jogging"
    But we'd miss out on all the pedantry.

• TonyB0588
    TonyB0588 Posts: 9,520 Member
    Options
    Run: to go quickly by moving the legs more rapidly than at a walk and in such a manner that for an instant in each step all or both feet are off the ground.

Jog: to run at a leisurely, slow pace, especially as an outdoor exercise

Walk: to advance or travel on foot at a moderate speed or pace; proceed by steps; move by advancing the feet alternately so that there is always one foot on the ground

Dictionary.com
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    chante_04 wrote: »

Run or walk, there is no jog...

It's a pointless debate.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    chante_04 wrote: »

Run or walk, there is no jog...

It's a pointless debate.

This!
  • DannyYMi54321
    DannyYMi54321 Posts: 77 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Easy - 0.5 to 3.9 mph is walking, 4.0 to 5.9 mph is jogging, 6.0 + mph is running - at least that's what the preset buttons on the treadmills at my gym say. :smiley:

Right now, you're probably thinking "how stupid"...

Yeah, I always thought it was dumb, too! :p
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    I always thought jogging was just running slowly.

But then again I was a sprinter not a runner. ;)
  • MeanderingMammal
    MeanderingMammal Posts: 7,866 Member
    Options
    4.0 to 5.9 mph is jogging, 6.0 + mph is running

My walking pace is about 5mph...

It's walking.
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    I believe it's pronounced "yogging" with a soft "j".

Sorry, every time I hear that word I think of that movie!

I'm a really slow runner, but I'm still running. I've never heard a runner call it jogging.