Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Quit smoking or not when starting to lose weight.

littlemcbird
littlemcbird Posts: 11 Member
I'm needing to lose a few kilos... lots of kilos ha ha & the myth of quitting smoking add extra weight, so my thinking is; do I quit smoking because I'm doing extra work to make my body healthy ( feeding it correct fuel & working it out to maintain strong body ) do I still continue to smoke so I avoid adding those extra kilos I'm trying to lose..... or do I quit to make my body healthy but harder to shed the weight ?!

Replies

• vikinglander
    vikinglander Posts: 1,547 Member
    @littlemcbird !!! Absolutely quit smoking NOW! It is the BEST possible thing you can do for your health! Why are you worried about a few extra pounds of fat when you are killing yourself? Quit smoking by any means necessary and do it now.

I quit a pack-a-day habit and lost 40 pounds anyway. I used Chantix and a device called a QuitKey and went from 20+ a day to zero in about 34 days. You can do this.

Feel free to add me or ask me anything...good luck!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    I'd do one thing at a time. Stopping smoking can be a b1tch for some people as can losing weight. I'd stop smoking first and get through that, then work on weight loss.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    edited March 2017
    I did both at the same time, all while adding resistance training. Interestingly enough, the lifting is what made me quit smoking, and also fed into the continued weight loss. Cause and effect chains can work out well occasionally.

I'm also apparently a masochist.
  • rdmitch
    rdmitch Posts: 278 Member
    edited March 2017
    I did both quits on the same day
    Started logging and put on a patch the same morning. It's a matter of will power
    and mental strength. If you don't add food you WONT gain extra weight. The smoking
    urge will subside in a few days, you will get used to logging your meals and you will
    be a winner at both. You can do this and everyone here is ready to support you.
  • Geocitiesuser
    Geocitiesuser Posts: 1,429 Member
    Quit smoking always. Now. Yesterday. Never smoke. If you haven't quit yet, quit now.
  • Spartan_Gingi
    Spartan_Gingi Posts: 194 Member
    I'm 4 weeks today without a cigarette. I was worried about the exact same thing. Honestly, if not for the exercising, I think it would've been hella hard to quit. While I haven't necessarily DROPPED weight, I haven't gained either :). If you want to quit, QUIT! Totally worth it, and I feel better than I have in years!
  • mxchana
    mxchana Posts: 666 Member
    Quit smoking today. Your body will begin to heal itself immediately, why wait?

If you are exercising and eating healthy you will be OK. I was just eating everything in sight to keep from smoking, and I gained 30 pounds the first month.

This June will be 21 years since I quit smoking... It was the hardest thing I ever did, and I am so grateful that I did it. I am still fighting weight problems and an eating disorder, but at least I do not smoke!

You can do it!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited March 2017
    A very good MFP friend (who rarely visits the forums so won't see this thread) has lost almost 150 lb and has been in maintenance for about 6 months now. She also quit smoking about 2 months after she started losing. She did the "one thing at a time" thing originally, then realized that quitting smoking will give her body the additional help she needed to get the most out of her exercise.

Using her as an example, it might help if you get into a little bit of a groove with your eating first, then quit smoking. You know you better, though.

Either way you choose, congratulations on the decision to quit smoking. It is one of the best things you can do for your overall health.

ETA: my Dad quit smoking after a 50 year 2 pack a day habit. If he could do it, anybody can.

ETA2: she replaced the hand-to-mouth habit of smoking with a glass of water or diet soda and a straw. win-win

• JustMissTracy
    JustMissTracy Posts: 6,339 Member
    If you CAN quit, DO IT!
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    I'm needing to lose a few kilos... lots of kilos ha ha & the myth of quitting smoking add extra weight, so my thinking is; do I quit smoking because I'm doing extra work to make my body healthy ( feeding it correct fuel & working it out to maintain strong body ) do I still continue to smoke so I avoid adding those extra kilos I'm trying to lose..... or do I quit to make my body healthy but harder to shed the weight ?!

I find the healthier I in all ways the easier it is to lose weight.
  • comptonelizabeth
    comptonelizabeth Posts: 1,701 Member
    I used the glass of water as a cigarette replacement method of giving up smoking;it helped a lot.
    One of the nice things about not smoking is that you start to taste food properly and everything tastes better. I found I was enjoying foods I hadn't much liked before. So you may find that lower calorie foods actually taste good.
  • Rhody_Hoosier
    Rhody_Hoosier Posts: 688 Member
    Worthy of note...I quit smoking on Feb. 19th. I've noticed a huge change in my muscle tone and overall strength gains. I feel stronger and better every time I lift. Just saying...that is one positive benefit.