Starting Strength

Options
2»

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    buffgrl wrote: »
    Before you do Starting Strength, I would suggest spending at least 4 weeks on a moderate more "traditional" strength training program, with about 3 sets of 10-15 reps per exercise, focusing mostly on compound lifts and a few accessory lifts. Not only will this "prime" you for Starting Strength parameters, but it's a good idea to "wake" the muscles up and get things firing correctly before you start tackling heavy lifts, as well as preparing your joints, tendons, and ligaments for the demands of heavy iron. Developing excellent muscular control and body awareness is really critical to lifting heavy SAFELY. When you first start lifting after years of being a couch potato, your muscles are going to be a bit shaky and unsteady- give yourself a few weeks on a basic program of light-to-moderate weights to sharpen up. There are many ways you can set up your splits for more "traditional" strength training, depending on how much time you have and how fast you recover from exercise. You can set up your splits as Upper Body/Lower Body 3-4 times per week (alternating), even using the concept of "supersetting" (alternating between push exercise and pull exercises) to get your workout done more efficiently. You can also opt to break things up further like: Back & Bi's, Legs, Chest & Shoulders & Tri's. etc. (Some people like to do shoulders on their own day or on back day). If you are really pressed for time, you could even do a full body twice per week.

Basic programs like Starting Strength are great, but are more effective for beginners after an initial conditioning period in my opinion. Once you get further along, you will start to figure out what works best for you. There are as many different workouts as there are people, and what works for one might not work as well for another. Good luck with the gainz!

this is exactly why starting strength is a beginner program...
  • ijsantos2005
    ijsantos2005 Posts: 306 Member
    Options
    OP, you should check out the newer book Rip put out called "The Barbell Perscription." It's for folks that are 40+ in age and makes some adjustments to the original program.
  • sgt1372
    sgt1372 Posts: 3,979 Member
    Options
    buffgrl wrote: »
    Before you do Starting Strength, I would suggest spending at least 4 weeks on a moderate more "traditional" strength training program, with about 3 sets of 10-15 reps per exercise, focusing mostly on compound lifts and a few accessory lifts. Not only will this "prime" you for Starting Strength parameters, but it's a good idea to "wake" the muscles up and get things firing correctly before you start tackling heavy lifts, as well as preparing your joints, tendons, and ligaments for the demands of heavy iron. Developing excellent muscular control and body awareness is really critical to lifting heavy SAFELY. When you first start lifting after years of being a couch potato, your muscles are going to be a bit shaky and unsteady- give yourself a few weeks on a basic program of light-to-moderate weights to sharpen up. There are many ways you can set up your splits for more "traditional" strength training, depending on how much time you have and how fast you recover from exercise. You can set up your splits as Upper Body/Lower Body 3-4 times per week (alternating), even using the concept of "supersetting" (alternating between push exercise and pull exercises) to get your workout done more efficiently. You can also opt to break things up further like: Back & Bi's, Legs, Chest & Shoulders & Tri's. etc. (Some people like to do shoulders on their own day or on back day). If you are really pressed for time, you could even do a full body twice per week.

As others have already noted, absolutely NONE of this is necessary b4 "starting" Starting Strength or, for that matter, any other "beginner" oriented weight lifting program.

Just thought it was worth repeating.
  • alteredsteve175
    alteredsteve175 Posts: 2,716 Member
    Options
    RandJ6280 wrote: »
    I was checking that program out and thinking about doing it.... as I am over 40 (by 15 years) and it's been some time since I've done and fitness program.

Any ideas or suggestions?

I was 58 when I started heavy lifting. 63 now. I had (still have) limited flexibility. My trainer started me with wall squats with a stability ball. Graduated to goblet squats with a kettlebell. Took about 6 months to get to barbell squats. Still working on flexibility to get the thighs parallel to the floor all the time. Some days I can do it. Some days I cannot. Patience is important.

I've ordered this book. Geared to older lifters.

https://aasgaardco.com/store/books/the-barbell-prescription