Can you truly eat whatever you want as long as it's under your goal?

Options
I tend to try and eat relatively well most days, and I've been losing steadily the whole time. I've mostly be at or ~100kcal under my goal but some days like today I've eaten mostly junk. Stopped at Tim's for a late breakfast and munched a serving and a half of kettle chips for a snack instead of making something. I still have plenty of kcals for supper and don't anticipate going over by nutritionally I've had a very high carb day. So is that really all it needs to be - under your calorie goal? It almost seems too easy...

Replies

• allyphoe
    allyphoe Posts: 618 Member
    Options
    That's all it needs to be.
  • macgurlnet
    macgurlnet Posts: 1,946 Member
    Options
    Yep! Calories are all that matters when it comes to fat loss.

Keep in mind that if you eat out more than usual and/or eat a higher number of carbs that usual, you may see a higher number on the scale next time. That's 100% normal due to water retention - it doesn't mean you need to cut cals or make any changes. Just stick with it!

~Lyssa
  • elisa123gal
    elisa123gal Posts: 4,306 Member
    Options
    The wording.. 'eat what you want" is false... because most of us want to keep eating what we want..that's the problem. Also .. for me, when I eat yummy junk it leaves me hungry and feeling horrible and i have to eat something sensible on top of the junk later and it wrecks my calorie goal.

Maybe my blood sugar is unstable and some of you don't reel from eating like that.

But if you can eat a piece of chocolate cake for dinner and feel great ..go to bed..and still lose weight. Go for it!
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    Options
    yup
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    In terms of weight loss you will lose, regardless of what kinds of foods you eat, as long as you're in the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals. However, you should focus on what's a sustainable way of eating-an all Twinkie diet will cause weight loss, if you're at a calorie deficit, but it would get old pretty quick, (and the same goes for an all Brussels sprouts diet, shudder lol).

No need to cut anything out that you like, or make drastic changes to your diet-but pay attention to what foods make you feel fuller, longer. Also, what foods do you currently eat that have lower calorie substitutes? What foods do you eat now that are calorie bombs and you won't miss cutting back on? And what lower calorie foods, and foods that have a high satiety level for you, can you add to your menu?
  • genpopadopolous
    genpopadopolous Posts: 411 Member
    Options
    Yup.

I've had wine, cookies, and pizza in the last week and actually lost a bit more than my goal.
  • emjam99
    emjam99 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Honestly you can but for me personally my abs don't show if I eat junk (I only have like 2-4 cuts anyway) and I get bloated and feel bad and stuff. Once in a while doesn't hurt though
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,704 Member
    Options
    If you're trying to lose weight, yes.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • emilyvictoria7
    emilyvictoria7 Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! I do lots of low calorie replacements - cauliflower rice, zuchinni noodles, low far everything from milk to cheese and yogurt. Vegetable straws over chips. Halo Top vs. Ben and Jerry's. So on days when I do eat out and still maintain a deficit, or even just eat at maintence (once in 85 days so far I believe) I'm going to let myself relax a bit!
  • 24clouds
    24clouds Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    In terms of weight loss you will lose, regardless of what kinds of foods you eat, as long as you're in the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals. However, you should focus on what's a sustainable way of eating-an all Twinkie diet will cause weight loss, if you're at a calorie deficit, but it would get old pretty quick, (and the same goes for an all Brussels sprouts diet, shudder lol).

No need to cut anything out that you like, or make drastic changes to your diet-but pay attention to what foods make you feel fuller, longer. Also, what foods do you currently eat that have lower calorie substitutes? What foods do you eat now that are calorie bombs and you won't miss cutting back on? And what lower calorie foods, and foods that have a high satiety level for you, can you add to your menu?

Literally the best advice! Calorie bombs. That's my problem. I eat normally then have a calorie bomb or two go off but don't notice it as the big big to look at and that's how I e gained weight. Last week I couldn't believe how many calories in tahini! I never had a clue. Assumed it was healthy. Being Greek Ive found Greek bread/pittas and dips are the reason Greeks have curves! Culturally we have learnt to often have dips and bread and olives in addition to dinner and we don't count it. ERROR!!!! No more dips for me lol
  • Sara1791
    Sara1791 Posts: 760 Member
    Options
    Not under your goal, but up to your goal. The deficit is already accounted for by MFP.
  • Ming1951
    Ming1951 Posts: 514 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    If I go over on say my sugar or fat and remain under calorie I don't seem to lose weight but I do maintain. So I'm watching that now also.
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    That's all there is to it. I have both bulked and cut on a wide variety of foods, and only really started narrowing down food choices for two reasons: preference, and ease of prep.
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Two extremes here:
    1. Eating "perfectly healthy" (whatever you decide that to mean); and
    2. Eating your calorie goal in Twinkies.

We're human; we're not going to eat perfectly healthy. It's just not going to happen.
    By the same token, eating 1X00 calories in snack cakes is just unsustainable.

But I believe that, beyond strictly 'CICO', which some people swear by, food choices DO matter--to an extent.

When it comes to weight loss, especially with people with considerable weight to lose, food choices are less important than controlling portions. But if you do it right, healthy options mean you can eat until you're full and not have to worry as much about blowing your calorie goal.

I personally do what I call 'paleo-ish', and I personally recommend that everyone at least entertain it as an eating plan, though you don't have to adopt it fully; I don't. I try to eat reasonably close to paleo, but I draw the line at their fancy, overpriced paleo-friendly alternatives to condiments, seasonings, dressings, etc. Also, when there's something I really want to eat that's not paleo-friendly, I just eat it, making sure I don't deviate more than once every few days. To be totally honest, sugary things don't even cross my mind--if they did I'd allow myself a small indulgence, but again, no more than once or twice a week.
  • BrettWithPKU
    BrettWithPKU Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    BDonjon wrote: »
    Two extremes here:
    1. Eating "perfectly healthy" (whatever you decide that to mean); and
    2. Eating your calorie goal in Twinkies.

We're human; we're not going to eat perfectly healthy. It's just not going to happen.
    By the same token, eating 1X00 calories in snack cakes is just unsustainable.

But I believe that, beyond strictly 'CICO', which some people swear by, food choices DO matter--to an extent.

When it comes to weight loss, especially with people with considerable weight to lose, food choices are less important than controlling portions. But if you do it right, healthy options mean you can eat until you're full and not have to worry as much about blowing your calorie goal.

I personally do what I call 'paleo-ish', and I personally recommend that everyone at least entertain it as an eating plan, though you don't have to adopt it fully; I don't. I try to eat reasonably close to paleo, but I draw the line at their fancy, overpriced paleo-friendly alternatives to condiments, seasonings, dressings, etc. Also, when there's something I really want to eat that's not paleo-friendly, I just eat it, making sure I don't deviate more than once every few days. To be totally honest, sugary things don't even cross my mind--if they did I'd allow myself a small indulgence, but again, no more than once or twice a week.

I should clarify before I make someone mad by appearing to not bow at the 'CICO' altar:
    CICO is king. But food habits (that is, repetition of healthy food choices) can make it easier to meet your calorie goal.
  • elpint0r
    elpint0r Posts: 99 Member
    Options
    Yes. Calories in VS Calories out!