Thinking of starting low carb, any tips?

Options
2»

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    Psychgrrl wrote: »

my dr has me on a low carb diet for health benefits. fat doesn't cause high cholesterol, carbs do.
    so for weight loss, you're right, no difference, but from a health stand-point, low-carb is good for high cholesterol patients.

If your doctor told you carbs cause high cholesterol, you need to report them to the medical board immediately. They're either grossly misinformed, have no idea what cholesterol is or is lying to you to keep you from eating carbs. None of which makes a good doctor.

This is actually the new thinking. That doctor is more up to date than many. HDL appears to drop, and triglycerides usually goes up, on a diet that is high in refined carbs. A high carb diet will do this to an extent even if the carbs are not refined carbs, but not to the same extent.

Look into Cholesterol Con, Great Cholesterol Myth or Cholesterol Clarity. Peter Attia has some in depth blogs on it too.
  • TheRambler
    TheRambler Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    Let me put it in perspective.. 3 things I ate today:

Apple
    Butternut Squash Soup
    Sweet Potato

That equalled 74 carbs. Perfectly healthy foods that are low in calories and rich in nutrients. Do you really want a diet that cuts that out? These kind of foods are everything you want in eating.
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    TheRambler wrote: »

Apple
    Butternut Squash Soup
    Sweet Potato

That equalled 74 carbs. Perfectly healthy foods that are low in calories and rich in nutrients. Do you really want a diet that cuts that out? These kind of foods are everything you want in eating.

74 grams of carbs is considered low carb by almost all accounts.
    Is that all the carbs you ate?

And yes, all three are considered nutrient dense, high fiber, delicious foods.

Granted a low(er) carb diet doesn't have to cut out any of these foods. yum
  • ferd_ttp5
    ferd_ttp5 Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I already try to do low carb diets many of people labeled it as a fad diets, i use to do that thing im very active exercising 4 hours a day in school sports i loss so much and im happy then i try to go back what i use to be eating then sad i gained it mostly of it until now i suffer from it effects, im starting a new diet which is the calorie deficit hopes i will succeed to this. If i were you do not follow low carb diets it will just make you sick after all
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    ferd_ttp5 wrote: »
    I already try to do low carb diets many of people labeled it as a fad diets, i use to do that thing im very active exercising 4 hours a day in school sports i loss so much and im happy then i try to go back what i use to be eating then sad i gained it mostly of it until now i suffer from it effects, im starting a new diet which is the calorie deficit hopes i will succeed to this. If i were you do not follow low carb diets it will just make you sick after all

How would it do that? There is nothing innately unhealthy about meats, eggs, dairy, nuts, vegetables and some fruit.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,723 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Okay so you lose more weight "easily" when you low carb. Then gain it back more easily when you introduce more carbs back into your life. I mean, isn't that how you regained weight again?
    BTW, loss from water (carbs need water to store glycogen in your cells) is your initial weight. The rest comes off because you're EATING LESS THAN YOU BURN. And you don't need to low carb to do that.
    Just saying that IF this isn't a lifestyle that you intend to stick to, then why bother starting it? Why not just learn how to eat LESS of the stuff you actually like to eat?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

my dr has me on a low carb diet for health benefits. fat doesn't cause high cholesterol, carbs do.
    so for weight loss, you're right, no difference, but from a health stand-point, low-carb is good for high cholesterol patients.
    Carbs don't cause high cholesterol. High cholesterol is usually an issue with genetics and being overweight.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    Options
    People need to STOP saying that you'll regain aaallll the weight you lost when/if you reintroduce carbs! I gained a whopping 2lbs when I went back to moderate carbs, which dropped back off after a couple of weeks.

The key here is that i remained in a deficit, which means no regain.
    Carbs don't automatically turn you into Shamoo the whale unless you go back to eating in a calorie surplus with ALL the foods, not just carbs.
    Depends Christine. When I used to compete and do low carb to get cut up and then reintroduced carbs back into my diet, a 20lbs gain in a week or less was NOT unusual. Realize that it wasn't that much of a surplus at all compared to when bulking in off season since eating small meals kept me satisfied. There were just devoid of carbs for 12-16 weeks.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png
  • ninerbuff
    Options

If your doctor told you carbs cause high cholesterol, you need to report them to the medical board immediately. They're either grossly misinformed, have no idea what cholesterol is or is lying to you to keep you from eating carbs. None of which makes a good doctor.

It's actually a pretty common belief, even among medical professionals. Particularly for heavily refined carbohydrates. I know an endocrinologist who would say this, firmly.

There are studies that support this notion.

I leave you to do what you believe, but, it's not an "out there" sue worthy idea.

OP: whatever you decide, choose something you can live happily with, and do your research. Best of luck.
    It MAY raise triglycerides, but that's if you're not burning them off.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

• Lillymoo01
    Lillymoo01 Posts: 2,865 Member
    Options
    I found this article interesting in regards to cholesterol and how to avoid high cholesterol.

http://www.precisionnutrition.com/all-about-cholesterol

In summary

Get and stay lean
    Eat at least 10 servings of vegetables and fruits each day
    Eat at least 1 cup of whole grains each day
    Eat at least 1 cup of legumes each day
    Eat at least 1/3 cup of nuts/seeds each day
    Eat/supplement with omega-3’s (algae or fish oils)
    Exercise at least 5 hours per week
    Eat plenty of herbs and spices
    Limit meat, processed foods, trans fats and dairy
    Drink at least 4 cups of tea each day

Will now look even futher to see what else I can find. Yet to find any research backing the claim that carbs cause high cholesterol though.
  • TheRambler
    TheRambler Posts: 387 Member
    Options
    TheRambler wrote: »

Apple
    Butternut Squash Soup
    Sweet Potato

74 grams of carbs is considered low carb by almost all accounts.
    Is that all the carbs you ate?

And yes, all three are considered nutrient dense, high fiber, delicious foods.

Granted a low(er) carb diet doesn't have to cut out any of these foods. yum

nononono.. I was just pointing out how easy it is to amass carbs!! Those were just 3 foods I ate throughout the day, and if eating 3 HEALTHY foods give you over 75 carbs, it's easy to go much higher WHILE eating healthy!!

my point was, just concentrate on eating healthy foods and giving yourself nutrients/fiber/protein instead of worrying about carbs.
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    Options

well i believe him based on my own research. you need to get facts before you tell me to report my dr to the board.
  • markswife1992
    markswife1992 Posts: 262 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »

It's actually a pretty common belief, even among medical professionals. Particularly for heavily refined carbohydrates. I know an endocrinologist who would say this, firmly.

There are studies that support this notion.

I leave you to do what you believe, but, it's not an "out there" sue worthy idea.

OP: whatever you decide, choose something you can live happily with, and do your research. Best of luck.
    It MAY raise triglycerides, but that's if you're not burning them off.

IDEA Fitness member

9285851.png

my triglycerides and cholesterol were through the roof, almost triple what they should be, due to a medication. the low-carb diet has reduced both.