Weight loss surgery

Options
Hey how are y'all have anybody in here had an surgery done if so how was the journal did you limits the amount of food before surgery or after how was the pain

Replies

• jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I had RNY three years ago, and it was life transforming. How it goes for you depends entirely on your medical team.

I am under public health care in Canada so the entire process including wait lists was about three years.

I went to nutrition classes. I had a full blood workup and bone scan. I logged my meals every day and met with a dietitian every month. I went to group therapy. Four weeks before surgery I was put on a liquid diet (miserable) to make my surgery safer (shrinks the liver).

I had to learn to eat all over again after surgery as my stomach healed. My goals reversed where my new target was to get minimum protein in a day. Over the next six months I slowly worked my way off "baby food" to pretty well normal eating. But I rarely finish a restaurant meal and my portions are about 3/4 normal size.

YMMV

OH, the pain? No worse, say, than gall bladder surgery.

I notice that US patients are encouraged to stay on a VLCD for about a year. Not so here in Canada. I tried to get back to " normal " ASAP.
  • jgnatca
    Options
    And depending on the type of surgery you are on vitamins for life.
  • Mrsjksmith1981
    Mrsjksmith1981 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing no I haven't had my surgery yet still waiting on the date here where I'm at it a 6 months plan so it hasn't been 7 full months yet I know it take time to get it depend on they chart but I'm ready for the life change anything to help with my diabetic I'm good and thanks for sharing just so ready
  • Mrsjksmith1981
    Mrsjksmith1981 Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Oh by the way I'm having the bypass done I wanted the sleeve but he said I didn't need that one my size wasn't big enough for it which I'm ok with
  • jgnatca
    Options
    The bypass surgery has a very good track record. It very likely will improve your diabetes numbers too.
  • nutmegoreo
    nutmegoreo Posts: 15,532 Member
    Options
    I haven't had it, but I do know a bit about it. There are different types of surgeries, so look into your options. Risks and complications are variable, depending on the surgery, so ask questions. You really need to know what you are getting into and how this will effect you throughout the rest of your life. If counseling and dietary support are not part of the requirements, do ask for them. I see to many people jump into it without enough knowledge and the results can be bad. Of course, they can also be good, but much of that is dependent in your knowledge and effort.
  • jyamiolk
    jyamiolk Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    I had the sleeve Back in October 2014. To date I have lost 120 pounds and have been able to keep it off. My highest was 302 and lowest 179. I am 5'10. I am currently holding at 183 with weight training. It has definitely been life changing. I had high blood pressure, Diabetes, Sleep apnea, etc... All that is gone. I am maintaining at about 2300 calories a day, work out 5 days a week. Two weight days, two cardio and one HIIT. I am embracing this new life and passion for physical fitness.
  • umagurl
    umagurl Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I had sleeve 4 years ago! Lost 200, maintaining about 170. The losing was easy for me. Afterwards has been hard. Trying to find the new normal, manage daily eating, etc. It's saved my life and I would recommend it to anyone!
  • cheryldumais
    cheryldumais Posts: 1,907 Member
    Options
    Just to answer you I had a lapband about 7 years ago and 3 years later had to have it removed. I wouldn't recommend that surgery for everyone. I had a lot of complications. I think the surgery you are considering is proven as being more effective.