Replies

• 150poundsofme
    150poundsofme Posts: 523 Member
    Options
    Interesting article, thanks
  • annacole94
    annacole94 Posts: 997 Member
    Options
    Yeah, anything requiring gluten-free flour blends is generally worse for you than plain ol' wheat (celiacs excepted). I cook gluten-free for my legit celiac father-in-law and it can be equally healthy as my usual food (a mix of meat, potatoes, and veg) or worse (gf pasta, rice noodles, etc.). Doing it for funsies is so strange - it's expensive, unless you just give up all gluten-containing foods. And beer. Who gives up beer for no reason?
  • annacole94
    Options
    Try reading the article. It makes having a discussion so much more fun.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    They recently added a few gluten-free treats at my employee cafeteria which are made by an outside vendor. It's awesome for the people who want sweets but can't have gluten. As a confirmed glutenvore, I just wanted to see how they tasted. Picked up a brownie smaller than the palm of my little baby hand, turned it over to read the label, and....500 calories? Are they insane? Why? Why would you eat that just for the sake of avoiding gluten if you don't even have to?
  • annacole94
    Options
    It takes a lot of sugar and fat to get passed the lack of gluten. Mmm, gluten.
  • 1shedev
    1shedev Posts: 144 Member
    Options
    I have Celiacs and have been gluten free since 2010. Here's the ingredient list from 2 forms of my pasta, spaghetti and fusilli, corn flour and water. No added sugars or oils. Eaten in moderation, this does not harm my non-celiac spouse. Excessively eating cakes and cookies isn't great for health, no matter what they are made of. There are many ways to be gluten free that do not rely on replacement products.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    edited March 2017
    Options
    1shedev wrote: »
    I have Celiacs and have been gluten free since 2010. Here's the ingredient list from 2 forms of my pasta, spaghetti and fusilli, corn flour and water. No added sugars or oils. Eaten in moderation, this does not harm my non-celiac spouse. Excessively eating cakes and cookies isn't great for health, no matter what they are made of. There are many ways to be gluten free that do not rely on replacement products.

I made homemade brownies once and posted about it on Facebook. My gf friend took my recipe, leaving everything else the same, and swapped out flour with her own gf flour blend. She said they tasted exactly like a regular brownie. I wish I had the nutrition info, but I can't imagine the calories were blown up by so much as to equal the gf brownie in the cafeteria. It's definitely more sensible to learn to make your own, or at least compare nutrition info before buying factory-made gf stuff. Because seriously. 500 calories for a brownie that wouldn't fill my tooth is nanners.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

I made homemade brownies once and posted about it on Facebook. My gf friend took my recipe, leaving everything else the same, and swapped out flour with her own gf flour blend. She said they tasted exactly like a regular brownie. I wish I had the nutrition info, but I can't imagine the calories were blown up by so much as to equal the gf brownie in the cafeteria. It's definitely more sensible to learn to make your own, or at least compare nutrition info before buying factory-made gf stuff. Because seriously. 500 calories for a brownie that wouldn't fill my tooth is nanners.

Those might have been maybe made with almond flour? That's all I can think of for being that ridiculously caloric. Or a nut butter type thing.

Because brownies with just a flour substitute are pretty much one of the easiest things to make gluten free. They're pretty forgiving.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    Options

Those might have been maybe made with almond flour? That's all I can think of for being that ridiculously caloric. Or a nut butter type thing.

Because brownies with just a flour substitute are pretty much one of the easiest things to make gluten free. They're pretty forgiving.

I'll have to look at the ingredients next time. All I saw was the calorie count and I dropped it like a hot potato.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    It's things like this that make me feel sorry for my wife (besides having to put up with me). She is gluten intolerant, but also dairy, potato, bean etc. etc. etc. So gluten free does not mean she can eat it properly. For bread, it has to be rice flour.

Not fun seeing her doubled over in pain for not checking the ingredients carefully enough.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    edited March 2017
    Options

I'll have to look at the ingredients next time. All I saw was the calorie count and I dropped it like a hot potato.

Here's the info from the package:

5rg4rzdex00j.jpg

My brownies have butter, flour and sugar as the main ingredients, and 1/16 of a 13x9 pan comes to 242 calories. I haven't made them since I started tracking so I don't know what they weigh.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    GF baked goods are often made with starches, which are not fortified like wheat flour. Nor does it have the fibre to help with digestion of that starch.

I stick with almond meal and coconut meal for flours. They don't have that light airy feel that gluten products do but it's a pretty good compromise and the nutritional value is better in my mind.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

5rg4rzdex00j.jpg

My brownies have butter, flour and sugar as the main ingredients, and 1/16 of a 13x9 pan comes to 242 calories. I haven't made them since I started tracking so I don't know what they weigh.

WOW! They'd better taste freaking amazing!
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options

5rg4rzdex00j.jpg

I can't even see what would make them so horrifically calorie dense from those ingredients!?
  • estherdragonbat
    estherdragonbat Posts: 5,283 Member
    Options
    Sugar and butter being listed first probably have something to do with it.
  • annacole94
    Options
    Sugar and butter being listed first probably have something to do with it.
    And then chocolate chips. They're pretty much a bar of frosting.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    It looks like fudge, not a brownie.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Yes! Fudge. The starchy element is way down the list. Madness. Oooh goodie, GF brownie, oh wait, can only have a sliver.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,540 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    When I hear people in the gym spouting, "oh you should go gluten free", makes me think about all the people who sanitize everything in their home all the time. Being "exposed" to non lethal things helps the body to adapt.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png