OATS FOR WEIGHTLOSS

Options
In deseprate need of some good solid advice :)

About a month ago I stopped banting (which failed miserably) and started incorporating carbs into my diet. I prefer a low carb diet as it is anyway so I've only introduced carbs in the form of vegetables and legumes pretty much. I'd love to start eating oats every other morning. When is the best time to eat oats for maximum weight loss results? Should I be eating it every couple of days after a morning workout? And if so, how much? Will this freak my body out and put on weight instead?

Replies

• ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    megmitts wrote: »
    In deseprate need of some good solid advice :)

About a month ago I stopped banting (which failed miserably) and started incorporating carbs into my diet. I prefer a low carb diet as it is anyway so I've only introduced carbs in the form of vegetables and legumes pretty much. I'd love to start eating oats every other morning. When is the best time to eat oats for maximum weight loss results? Should I be eating it every couple of days after a morning workout? And if so, how much? Will this freak my body out and put on weight instead?

There is not one..way in a calorie deficit, meal timing does Not matter
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    You'd only start gaining fat if you start eating over your maintenance calories. I love oats and incorporate them in my diet quite often. I tend to use protein oat recipes for satiety reason.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,717 Member
    Options
    You could eat oats anytime of day AS LONG AS you don't exceed your calorie allotment for the day.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    Meal timing tends to play a significant role in activity performance and an insignificant role in weight loss.
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    You can eat any food any time of the day and still lose weight as long as your are within your calorie target.

This. Meal timing/frequency/what foods you're eating/not eating don't matter for weight loss. The ONLY thing that does matter is that you're at the correct calorie deficit for your weight loss goals.

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    All day, err' day. Oats have become a staple for me in all of my dietary phases. Oats and potatoes: best starches ever, imo.
  • spoonpuppet
    spoonpuppet Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I love oats! I eat them almost every day, and sometimes twice a day (not following any low-carb plan obviously). Still losing weight :)
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    megmitts wrote: »
    I'd love to start eating oats every other morning.

No reason not to IF you try it and they are satisfying for you. I have been eating them about every other morning lately and enjoy them (I like them best with an egg or two and vegetables, savory style).
    When is the best time to eat oats for maximum weight loss results?

Oats do not have special weight loss effects (no foods do) and it doesn't matter when you eat them. I tend to want them in the morning (cultural conditioning) so eat them then, but occasionally I've had them at dinner. Eat them when they seem like they would fit in with the rest of your meal.
    Should I be eating it every couple of days after a morning workout? And if so, how much? Will this freak my body out and put on weight instead?

There's no should here. I do enjoy them after a run, but again it's a matter of overall diet and calories -- people who tell you that you have to eat special foods at special times are lying or trying to make it sound complicated so you think you need help.

No, you won't put on fat.

However, if you have been very low carb and go to more moderate carb, you could put on a little water weight, which is meaningless and will quickly stabilize.