Size of crockpot

Options
tigerlily886
tigerlily886 Posts: 74 Member
My bank gave me a free 1.5 quart crock pot. I used it a few times for pulled pork and love it. What size do I need? It would just be for my husband and I. I want to use it more often and I know i need a bigger one.

Replies

• k8blujay2
    k8blujay2 Posts: 4,941 Member
    Options
    I have a 3 qt and a 6.5 qt.

But honestly, for most things I just use the 3 qt for my husband and I (and our toddler).
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    I have a 3 and a 4 quart and for our family of four I use the 3 quart size WAY more.
  • tigerlily886
    Options
    I ended getting a 5 quart because Walmart didn't have anything smaller, except for a 1.5

I can't wait to use it tomorrow. I am a horrible cook and hope I don't mess crockpot recipes up.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    I ended getting a 5 quart because Walmart didn't have anything smaller, except for a 1.5

I can't wait to use it tomorrow. I am a horrible cook and hope I don't mess crockpot recipes up.

That's hard to do. Crockpot recipes are usually pretty easy. Put some meat in, some veggies, stock and spices and turn it on.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options
    Why does it all come down to size in the end.
  • _Waffle_
    _Waffle_ Posts: 13,049 Member
    Options

It's not the size of your crock pot that matters. It's the way you use it. Right?

I want to use it more often and I know i need a bigger one.
    Oh, well maybe then size does matter.
  • PikaKnight
    PikaKnight Posts: 34,971 Member
    Options
    allrecipes.com has a bunch of crockpot recipes and there are a few that are pretty simple if you need ideas.
  • PlayerHatinDogooder
    PlayerHatinDogooder Posts: 1,018 Member
    Options
    It's not the size of your crock pot that matters. It's the way you use it. Right?

That's just something people with small crock pots tell themselves.
  • neanderthin
    neanderthin Posts: 9,970 Member
    Options

I want to use it more often and I know i need a bigger one.
    Oh, well maybe then size does matter.
    Some people think they have a big crock pot but when it comes time for consumption, their dinner guests are disappointed there wasn't more to be had............bingeing on other things can make up for it.
  • Dark_Roast
    Dark_Roast Posts: 17,689 Member
    Options
    allrecipes.com has a bunch of crockpot recipes and there are a few that are pretty simple if you need ideas.

Yes, and lots of comments from people that have tried the recipes already.
  • jhmomofmany
    jhmomofmany Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    I have a 2-qt and a 6-qt crock pot. I always use the 6 but I'm cooking for a small army. :smile: Crockpot recipes are usually super easy and forgiving. You're going to do fine!
  • rodneymonster
    Options
    Crock pot size (or dutch oven size) matters a TON based on how braising actually works. You want the food to fill up most of the space (NOT ALL and NOT TOO LITTLE) of the cooking space. If you use a huge 6 qt crock pot for say, 2-3 lbs of pork butt, then your results would be gross. Use a 3 qt crock pot, and presto, delicious! For the majority of recipes, you'll get the bang for your buck with a 3-4 qt sized vessel: lots of portions + delicious.

Seriously, you will use a ton of food for a 6 qt crock pot if you want the food to taste good, and it will make a zillion servings. Unless you're cooking for ~5 different people, you will never be able to eat all the portions from a 6 qt before growing tired of the meal and/or running out of freezer space for all of the leftovers. Like the person above says, a 6qt is for a small army.
  • Phrick
    Phrick Posts: 2,765 Member
    Options
    Crock pot size (or dutch oven size) matters a TON based on how braising actually works. You want the food to fill up most of the space (NOT ALL and NOT TOO LITTLE) of the cooking space. If you use a huge 6 qt crock pot for say, 2-3 lbs of pork butt, then your results would be gross. Use a 3 qt crock pot, and presto, delicious! For the majority of recipes, you'll get the bang for your buck with a 3-4 qt sized vessel: lots of portions + delicious.

Seriously, you will use a ton of food for a 6 qt crock pot if you want the food to taste good, and it will make a zillion servings. Unless you're cooking for ~5 different people, you will never be able to eat all the portions from a 6 qt before growing tired of the meal and/or running out of freezer space for all of the leftovers. Like the person above says, a 6qt is for a small army.

Absolutely this! If you're not filling the crockpot AT LEAST halfway full you're going to burn your food. But if you fill it more than 2/3 full, it won't cook properly. Contrary to seemingly popular belief (everywhere, not just here) there actually IS more to know about crockpot cooking than "dump it in and turn it on!!"
  • tigerlily886
    Options
    It came out great! The chicken was so tender and soft. Tomorrow, chicken and dumplings!
  • DragonSquatter
    DragonSquatter Posts: 957 Member
    Options
    I have a small one that is just enough to make dinner for 2-3 or a light dinner for 4. My bigger crock pots collect dust now.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Remember to weigh the empty pot.

That way when you are done cooking, you can weigh the whole thing, subtract that pot weight, and with just the weight of the food, and knowledge of what went in to the pot, you can make your own serving size based on weight and know calorie info on that size.
  • AnninStPaul
    AnninStPaul Posts: 1,372 Member
    Options
    I have 3 - 1.5, 3, and 7 quart. The small one gets the most use: steel cut oats through the school year. The large one is for pork shoulder (2 at a time), 2-3 rack of ribs, batches of pasta sauce, chili -- multi-meal recipes that fill the freezer (or that I make to entertain). The medium is for side dishes or appetizers (beans, meatballs).
  • izehar
    izehar Posts: 5
    Options
    Crockpots will overcook your food if not at least 50% full. A 5 qt is made to cook 5 lbs of food at a time. This info is from experience and the Crockpot official website. There are cheap 3qt ones at Kmart right now.
  • Keiras_Mom
    Keiras_Mom Posts: 844 Member
    Options
    I have a 5 quart and there are only 3 people in my household. We just make a big batch of whatever (stew, chili, whole chickens, etc.) and freeze what we don't eat. It's great!