To Weight Watchers or not WW?

Options
Hello~
I was a WW customer a few years ago. WW really worked for me and I lost the Lbs I needed to loose. I've read here that the Point System has changed. I guess is called now Smart Points. When I was a customer, WW would assigned certain amount of points daily and you would just use them depending on the food consumption. Then you would decide if to use your exercises points or not. In my case when I didn't use my Exercise Points I would loose more. What is the difference between the old Points System to this new one? I would like to join again but need to understand how does the new system work. Thanks...................

Replies

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I did WW back in 2013 when I first started but tbh it's no different than MFP other than instead of counting points the points have a value here, and it's free.
  • bizgirl26
    bizgirl26 Posts: 1,808 Member
    Options
    It worked for me in the past too but I agree with everyone above. Why pay when this site is free ?
  • rdevol
    rdevol Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    I agree with both replies. I've done WW in the past, and it has always helped me lose weight when I follow the program. However, they keep changing the program every year and making you buy all the new "stuff" you need to track it, on top of their very expensive weekly/monthly fees. I love the program, but feel it isn't worth the money any longer. I've had success with MFP, too, when I track food intake carefully and have a calorie deficit. I'd stick with MFP!
  • agrando
    agrando Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There is an ap called ultimate food diary that lets you count ww points for free. It's nice to use if you want to count points but are not interested in ww additional features. I like it because I can stay on points plus- I didn't like the smart points program.
  • songbird13291
    songbird13291 Posts: 120 Member
    Options
    I was on Weight Watchers and lost weight, but quit when they introduced the current program, Smart Points. Because Smart Points assigns a very high points value to foods with sugar, it felt way too restrictive for me. I'm doing the older program, Points Plus, using an app called iTrackBites, and I am also logging here.

Usually I can see a correlation between points and calories, but this week I was way over my points budget but within my calorie allotment. I lost 1.5 pounds this week.

The bottom line -- healthy eating, portion control and exercise will help you lose weight.
  • 2wise4u
    2wise4u Posts: 229 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    IMO, I love MFP. I've tried WW's years ago but didn't have time for meetings and lost a few pounds before I gave it up. MFP works for me because it's convenient since I always have my phone and can easily log whatever I eat or calories I burn. It's a no brainier for me but you need to evaluate your own situation.
  • TerriK14
    TerriK14 Posts: 75 Member
    Options
    I also did WW in the past and lost the weight that I needed too. Life happened and I gained some back. Looked into WW and did not like the changes. Was told about this site that is free and I love it.
  • Schila64
    Schila64 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the comments . I've been on MFP for almost 1.5 years . I believe this logging in your food intake works as long as you are true to yourself . I know that sometimes I eyeball the weigh on some foods and maybe I'm getting more that what I'm really tracking . Food labels are deceiving . I have found out that is better to weigh by the grams that the portion size tells you instead of the cup amount . Cup takes more than weight.
  • lolane1
    lolane1 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I am a current WW dropout. And a former dropout also. Since I eat mostly vegan and the fruits and vegetables were free, it didn't work for me. I really need to count calories.
    MFP is working well as long as I track. Same goes for WW but MFP is FREE.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    fascha wrote: »
    I did WW back in 2013 when I first started but tbh it's no different than MFP other than instead of counting points the points have a value here, and it's free.

This USED to be a true statement. Points used to = calories.

OP - the new points system will penalize you for "bad" food choices. Chocolate or potato chips can still be your menu but these foods will cost you a larger number of points now. If I want chocolate then the price is I have to under eat.....not looking to increase lean muscle mass loss (over 50).

You will need help figuring out how to use your exercise calories at WW too.

If going to meetings and weekly weigh-ins help you stay accountable then you actually get something for your money.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/holistic-or-horrifying-not-everyone-loves-weight-watchers-new-program/2015/12/24/ce96cf38-a97f-11e5-8058-480b572b4aae_story.html?utm_term=.d144f2c21dcb

MFP is a diary for food & exercise. You get a deficit up front (before exercise)......so moving more is always rewarded. MFP exercise calorie burns are rough estimates....most people eat back 50-75%.
  • inertiastrength
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »
    fascha wrote: »

This USED to be a true statement. Points used to = calories.

OP - the new points system will penalize you for "bad" food choices. Chocolate or potato chips can still be your menu but these foods will cost you a larger number of points now. If I want chocolate then the price is I have to under eat.....not looking to increase lean muscle mass loss (over 50).

You will need help figuring out how to use your exercise calories at WW too.

If going to meetings and weekly weigh-ins help you stay accountable then you actually get something for your money.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/style/holistic-or-horrifying-not-everyone-loves-weight-watchers-new-program/2015/12/24/ce96cf38-a97f-11e5-8058-480b572b4aae_story.html?utm_term=.d144f2c21dcb

MFP is a diary for food & exercise. You get a deficit up front (before exercise)......so moving more is always rewarded. MFP exercise calorie burns are rough estimates....most people eat back 50-75%.

Penalized for bad foods now?! Yikes. It was bad enough when they put me on the equivalent of 1200 calories as a 200lb woman back then but damn!
  • inertiastrength
    Options
    So, if you are on WW and decide to have a chocolate bar, doesn't that mean you compensate by eating less of the nutrition you need? And, because they bump up the points for the chocolate bar as a "bad" item, the penalty in reduced "good" foods may lead you to a nutritional deficit?

Am I missing something or does this make WW really unhealthy?

What a great way to give people eating disorders. Penalize yourself for a certain type of food even if you're well within your budget of calories. Brilliant.
  • 3bambi3
    3bambi3 Posts: 1,650 Member
    Options
    So, if you are on WW and decide to have a chocolate bar, doesn't that mean you compensate by eating less of the nutrition you need? And, because they bump up the points for the chocolate bar as a "bad" item, the penalty in reduced "good" foods may lead you to a nutritional deficit?

Am I missing something or does this make WW really unhealthy?

It makes it a bit ridiculous. Example: I had a 'sharing size' pack of peanut m&m's on Friday...~450 calories, but if I were tracking on WW the point value is 22! At my stats I would get 30 points total a day on WW. So if I wanted that bag of m&m's the rest of my day would have to be 'free' fruits and vegetables and I could maybe fit in some lean protein. For the day I'd either be way under my calorie and nutrition goals or I'd have to go way over my weekly points goal.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    Schila64 wrote: »
    Hello~
    I was a WW customer a few years ago. WW really worked for me and I lost the Lbs I needed to loose. I've read here that the Point System has changed. I guess is called now Smart Points. When I was a customer, WW would assigned certain amount of points daily and you would just use them depending on the food consumption. Then you would decide if to use your exercises points or not. In my case when I didn't use my Exercise Points I would loose more. What is the difference between the old Points System to this new one? I would like to join again but need to understand how does the new system work. Thanks...................

I'm with the "Why?" people. If you get something out of the support network (ie meetings and stuff), then that might be worth it. As for 'Points', everything already has a clearly (and freely) available calorie content and protein/carb/fat/fiber content, so why learn (and pay to learn) some weird arbitrary system of assigning points to food?
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »
    Schila64 wrote: »
    Hello~

I'm with the "Why?" people. If you get something out of the support network (ie meetings and stuff), then that might be worth it. As for 'Points', everything already has a clearly (and freely) available calorie content and protein/carb/fat/fiber content, so why learn (and pay to learn) some weird arbitrary system of assigning points to food?

.....and after you have learned the points, they are just going to change them again.
  • BootCampC
    BootCampC Posts: 689 Member
    Options
    From what I can understand of the new point system , you are allotted 30 points a day , each point is approx. 50 calories worth of food , but some foods which are high in fat or sugar have higher point values. Fruits and vegetables have 0 point value, so you can fill up on them.(seems like a whole lot of sugar to me) You really have no idea of how many calories you take in per day nor macros , for that reason I say No WW