Are protein shakes considered supplements?

Options
124»

Replies

• armchairherpetologist
    armchairherpetologist Posts: 69 Member
    Options
    I consider it just another food that I eat in various ways, like mixed up in a smoothie or in some pancakes. It's an ingredient that I use in cooking, and counted as a part of my normal food intake. To me it would be like considering coffee or Sriracha a supplement because they don't really add anything nutritional to my intake,
  • parnalization
    parnalization Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    There are many many types of protein powders.
    Egg protein derived from egg whites, animal protein ie collagen, pea protein, soy protein, rice protein, whey and casein which are derived from milk.

Protein powders are DIETARY SUPPLEMENTS. They are produced with the intention of providing nutrients to our bodies that we might not always get from our diets.

For eg. Let's take Vitamin D3 It is not possible for the population that dies not get any direct contact with sunlight to get enough vitamin D3 just from their diet. D3 deficiencies harm the immune system and also affect sports performance.

Also EPAs and DHAs. It is not possible for everyone to have enough Fatty fish from diet alone. Think about the middle east, think desserts. They would not get salmon or other Fatty fish locally.

Also consider the Vegan physique competitor, extremely serious about his/her sport, who is on a cut. He/she would not be able to get 1g/lbs of protein just with a good diet. Life would be miserable for that person to try and hit protein requirement from beans and legumes. In this case, protein powder is actually highly recommended.

We tend to tag products and or food as good/bad. Reality is, what may "seem" bad to a person, could potentially save the life of someone else by providing the person with the nutrition missing from their diet. Think about it.

If you decide to go for a protein supplement, or any other supplement, it is completely your choice and nobody has the right to judge you based on that.

Hope this helps.

• Enjcg5
    Enjcg5 Posts: 389 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I take whey protein because sometimes I get sick of chicken and greek yogurt (I eat red meat too but it makes me have bubble guts). If I use it for a breakfast on the go, I add PB and a banana