Is a chicken kebab really unhealthy?

Options
I'm meaning the marinated chicken kebab with salad.
Is that really bad for you?

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,876 Member
    Options
    why would it be?
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    No, it's not. What makes you say that?
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    Maybe the rest of the salad (cheese, croutons, lots of dressing), but a marinated chicken kebab shouldn't be. Is there some reason you think it might be?
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Does it fit in your calories? Then it's healthy. Also, a chicken kebab has chicken (lean protein), a good bit of salad (macros and fiber) and if you're getting it with pitta, carbs. Pretty good macro and micronutrient profile there!

Just be mindful of the sauces, I love the creamy garlic sauce you get but that's a calorie bomb. Get it on the side and just use a little if it's a creamier sauce you go for.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    What makes you think it is??? Maybe you can give some details of why you feel chicken and salad are unhealthy so we can help address your fears.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Depends. Is the chicken undercooked? Then it may be bad for you. Otherwise, no, why would you think it is bad for you? No individual food is "bad" in the context of the overall diet. I especially can't imagine why grilled marinated chicken and salad would be bad... but would love to hear why you think it might be.
  • sarahlou23xx
    sarahlou23xx Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    My other half when I said I was getting a takeaway said oh kebab is bad for you.
    Like you say it's only chicken with lettuce,red cabbage tomato etc.
  • Ready2Rock206
    Options
    So did you ask him why he thought it was bad? Why would you just take what he says as gospel without forming your own opinion or asking further questions of it?
  • animatorswearbras
    animatorswearbras Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    If it was a large doner meat and chips on a massive white pitta drowning in sauce with a wisp of salad garnish then maybe (obvs taking into account CICO blah blah blah), but a marinaded chicken breast skewer with salad is probably one of the most damage controlled meals you can get from a takeaway. Sounds good! :D

He probably just heard the word kebab and pictured the former.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    My other half when I said I was getting a takeaway said oh kebab is bad for you.
    Like you say it's only chicken with lettuce,red cabbage tomato etc.

Are you in the UK? If so is he making that comment based on the fact it's the national go to for late night drunk food? I mean, sure, it can be bad if you've downed 1200 calories of booze then hit the kebab shop for a 1000 calorie donner kebab and a side of chips (fries). But I'm assuming that's not what's happening here.
  • sarahlou23xx
    sarahlou23xx Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    Yeah I'm in uk..
    I think he presumed a donner kebab ...
    My only weakness is garlic sauce ..going to try and limit to a tiny bit.
  • VintageFeline
    Options
    Kebab shop garlic sauce is my favourite too. I feel your pain.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    where is Kebab shop? I've never seen them around Seattle. Boo...Do they not have a yogurt/tzatsiki sauce option? That is a pretty healthy sauce often served with gyros and kebabs
  • Ready2Rock206
    Options
    suruda wrote: »
    where is Kebab shop? I've never seen them around Seattle. Boo...Do they not have a yogurt/tzatsiki sauce option? That is a pretty healthy sauce often served with gyros and kebabs

In Seattle there is a doner kebab shop on 1st Avenue in the Pioneer Square area.

The Berliner Doner Kebab - 221 1st Avenue South, Seattle, WA 98104
  • extra_medium
    extra_medium Posts: 1,525 Member
    Options
    Healthy vs unhealthy is extremely subjective and one item of food doesn't tell you much when it's not in the context of the rest of your diet. I can't see how a chicken kebab could be considered all that bad regardless though.

• inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    It's not unhealthy but the last kebab meal I had was probably 1300 calories so if you're having it with all the fixins maybe it might be calorie dense but I wouldn't call it unhealthy.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    Options
    fascha wrote: »
    It's not unhealthy but the last kebab meal I had was probably 1300 calories so if you're having it with all the fixins maybe it might be calorie dense but I wouldn't call it unhealthy.

OP under eats so a big kebab would do her the world of good!
  • ScottF83
    ScottF83 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Man, I want a kebab now...