NEED HELP WITH DAILY CALORIE GOAL!

Options
So I have been told that MFP tends to give a too low of a calorie goal. I am 201 5'5 and it tells me to eat 1200 cals...when I go to other sites it tells me I should be eating around 1800 calories! I thought that was too large so I adjusted it to 1600 however even a trainer told me that was even too low for my weight! What are you guys doing? Going by MFP or customizing to your own?

Replies

• Ready2Rock206
    Ready2Rock206 Posts: 9,488 Member
    Options
    MFP gives you 1200 PLUS exercise calories. So add some exercise in (which it sounds like you do since you have a trainer) and you'll be at 1600 anyway. So they're the same - you're just looking at it 2 different ways.
  • StaciMarie1974
    StaciMarie1974 Posts: 4,138 Member
    Options
    If you try to lose the max possible weight per week, you are going to get a low calorie goal. Because MFP assumes you will log your exercise and eat those burned calories back.

You can get a higher initial goal by changing from 2 pounds per week to 1 pound per week.
    So I have been told that MFP tends to give a too low of a calorie goal. I am 201 5'5 and it tells me to eat 1200 cals...when I go to other sites it tells me I should be eating around 1800 calories! I thought that was too large so I adjusted it to 1600 however even a trainer told me that was even too low for my weight! What are you guys doing? Going by MFP or customizing to your own?

• ercarroll311
    ercarroll311 Posts: 295 Member
    Options
    Customizing for sure. That exact number depends a lot on your exercise, of course. My goal was to lose more slowly than I have in the past so it could be a lifestyle change, and so my metabolism would stay up a bit.

I started at 5'3" 175 and was eating around 1700/day to lose the first 45 lbs, if that helps at all. I exercised everyday, but nothing insane--mostly dog walking. Now I'm at maintenance (5'3" 117) and have added a good bit more exercise and eat about 2500 cals/day, so if I wanted to lose again, I'd go to 2000.

You won't lose as fast initially eating more, but you'll be able to maintain momentum and your body will be healthier for it. Just hearing your numbers, I agree that 1800 is probably a good fit unless you're exercising heavily.
  • simply_bubbz
    simply_bubbz Posts: 245 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    I don't eat back my calories so If I reach 1600 cals a day that is my total not my net amount. I exercise 5 days a week with things like ZUmba (burn on avg 480-520 cals), zumba strong, and elliptical/ stair masters on Fridays....do you think I should Increase to 1700 to still lose 2 lbs a week or keeping it at 1600 should be ok? I want to have some wiggle room incase I hit a plateau
  • Strudders67
    Strudders67 Posts: 980 Member
    Options
    Look at your net figure (click Home on the website or the Nutrition button at the bottom of the page on the app) after you've logged your food and exercise - you want that net figure to be at / a little over 1200. I tend to look at my app's figures, set to show a Week View. As long as my average over a week is around 1200 a day, I'm fine; some days I eat more, some days I exercise more.
  • TeaBea
    TeaBea Posts: 14,517 Member
    Options

MFP isn't set up the same as some other websites. MFP gives you a calorie goal based on your weekly weight loss goal before exercise. So if you put in an aggressive weekly goal you get a big deduction. If you plan on exercise, you log your workouts here & earn calories above 1200.

If you know your exercise will be consistent......then using a calculator that includes exercise up front is a good plan. You won't have the ups & downs workout days vs. rest days.

Just pick a number you can live with for awhile. Being consistent is the most important thing.

I think 1700 is a safer bet. But 7*1700 - 5*500 / 7 = 1,343. VS 7*1600 - 5*500 / 7 = 1,243
    It's going to be harder to fuel your workouts (consistently) on fewer calories. 1200 is a default one-size-fits-all. You are not petite or elderly.....1700 would be better (IMO).
  • simply_bubbz
    simply_bubbz Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    TeaBea wrote: »

MFP isn't set up the same as some other websites. MFP gives you a calorie goal based on your weekly weight loss goal before exercise. So if you put in an aggressive weekly goal you get a big deduction. If you plan on exercise, you log your workouts here & earn calories above 1200.

If you know your exercise will be consistent......then using a calculator that includes exercise up front is a good plan. You won't have the ups & downs workout days vs. rest days.

Just pick a number you can live with for awhile. Being consistent is the most important thing.

I think 1700 is a safer bet. But 7*1700 - 5*500 / 7 = 1,343. VS 7*1600 - 5*500 / 7 = 1,243
    It's going to be harder to fuel your workouts (consistently) on fewer calories. 1200 is a default one-size-fits-all. You are not petite or elderly.....1700 would be better (IMO).

Thank you for taking your time and breaking that down for me!
  • Dutchie0000
    Dutchie0000 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I also have the impression MFP calculates too low of a calorie goal. Although I would like to lose some weight, I set my data to "maintain current weight" to try and see what they would recommend, and they recommended 1900 calories per day. Everywhere else I have seen 2000 calories per day for an average woman with a desk job, like me. And I am probably a bit taller/larger than average at 176cm, 74 kg.

Exercise is currently not a major part of my life, although I do cycle about an hour every day Mon-Fri as part of my commute, and I usually walk at least some 15-20 min per day. But my question is about MFP's goal-setting before exercise or weight loss goals.
  • tharamis16
    tharamis16 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I would stick with the calories but adjust your macros. Before I started my nutritionist suggested I eat no more than 2100 and I weighed in at 275 with 40% protein 30% carb 30% fat. MFP suggested 2050 so calorie wise was comparable. Once I hit 245 I adjusted the calories to 1900 since I hit a 2 week plateau and am now down to 234 but also incorporated 3 days of spin. Just be honest about what your eating and track your progress. Little adjustments can be made along the way.
  • deannalfisher
    deannalfisher Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'm working with a RD - so I have set calories per day that are calculated for me based on activity level - I avg about 2200 a day - 5'3" and 148lbs