Basic dumb question...

Options
Does any still work out even if they are sick (nothing major) like a head cold

Replies

• VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Nope. If I just feel a bit off I'll give it a go but largely I just take a few days off and eat a few more calories while my body recovers.
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    generally not because 1- don't want to germ up the gym and 2- I want to heal faster so I don't out any extra strain on my body.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    I usually just let myself recover...training while ill very often results in prolonging the condition in my experience.
  • weisenbeckellie
    weisenbeckellie Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I do... I'm still in the beginning stages of going to the gym. Even if I go there to stretch or go for a walk. It helps me stay in the habit of things:)
  • tynapea3
    tynapea3 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    So what about when you just dont have any appetite ... would you still force yourself to eat? And with working out , when i say something light, like a stationary bike or something ...is that still too much on the body?
  • need2belean
    need2belean Posts: 353 Member
    Options
    tynapea3 wrote: »
    So what about when you just dont have any appetite ... would you still force yourself to eat? And with working out , when i say something light, like a stationary bike or something ...is that still too much on the body?

I had this happen to me this weekend which is extremely strange because I'm almost always hungry. But, I pre-plan my days meals. I eat 6 small meals a day and I plan each and every one of those unless I'm going out with friends or what not and then I just try to do the best I can to stay within my macro (calorie) goals. BUT, this weekend I had to almost force myself to eat my pre-planned meal because if I didn't I would not get the necessary nutrients my body needs (what I planned for, i.e. protein/carbs for my workout). Or, even worse, I would splurge at my next meal which could cause me to go above my calorie intake. HOWEVER, if you're talking about not having an appetite because you are sick, then that's a different story. If I'm sick, I still try to eat but typically my go-to is soup.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    If I feel like it will hamper my workout/effort, then no.
    If I feel like I'll contaminate the equipment/environment where other people are also working out, then no.
    Otherwise, probably.
  • jennifer_417
    jennifer_417 Posts: 12,344 Member
    Options
    Not me. Rest is the best thing for almost any illness. Pushing yourself is a good way to stay sick longer.
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Unless I'm drained, I go. Its very rare that I would not lift weights.

I'm pretty careful regardless as far as contamination since I deal with a autoimmune disease. I rarely get sick, like once in last six years...so its not something I have to decide on regardless.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Unless I'm like really sick with the flu or food poisoning I usually work out. I don't go to a gym so I don't have to worry about being contagious. Cardio actually makes head cold symptoms feel better for me. Laying in bed just gunks up my nose, which usually leads to a nasty cough.
  • Sharon_C
    Sharon_C Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I go to the gym if I don't feel good provided I know I'm not contagious. If I'm not hungry I don't eat. I know at some point in the week I'll make up for those calories I didn't eat.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Does any still work out even if they are sick (nothing major) like a head cold

Depends. I would probably do a flexibility or strengthening workout if its a head cold. But there is nothing wrong with just getting more rest if I'm miserable.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options

I would still try to be close to normal intake. Not eating well makes me feel worse.

As for working out, I listen to my body. Every cold or whatever is different. I trust if i feel yukky after 5 minutes its time to stop. I know my body can be pushed much harder if I really have to but it often comes at a cost.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    Was sick most of last week. Tried the treadmill last Monday and couldn't get in my normal 30 mins so I gave it up for the week. Back at it this moring
  • jbirdgreen
    jbirdgreen Posts: 569 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    To me it depends on how you feel. I just had a cold last week. For me, I had a slight fever so I felt terrible the first two days. So I rested and slept to let my body recover. On the third day, I still felt a little under the weather, but my fever was gone. I went did my lunchtime walk and worked out like normal.

I think it helped me. YMMV.
  • TheCupcakeCounter
    TheCupcakeCounter Posts: 606 Member
    Options
    Depends on what I have. If there are any aches at all, no workout. If I have bad allergies or a cold and it is nice out I will often take a walk to get fresh air and sunshine but rarely will I do more than that. I also ease back in once I start feeling better - no hard workouts until I'm 100% (learned that the hard way...twice)
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Also depends on what we're talking here...a little case of the sniffles then no biggie. If I'm actually sick...bad head cold with sinus infection or chest cold or flu or whatever then I'm resting up.