It's thigh sucking shorts season. Help.

Options
I've decided to stick with running for once into spring, maybe even into summer. The shorts though, it's just not working out. I was wearing tights or capris all winter, felt great. Now I'm trying to find comfortable shorts to run in.

First, I don't know what's wrong with me, but I can't run in anything with just an elastic waist band. I need a drawstring or my bottoms will end up below crack level. This is severely limiting my options.

Second, every pair of shorts I've tried end up sucked up between my thighs. Do shorts that stay down exist? I bought some short shorts and body glide, thinking no extra fabric to bunch would be more comfortable, but I'm just not mentally prepared to leave the house in those shorts.

Capris are too hot and I'm sick of pulling my shorts down the whole run. I also don't want to spend much since I keep outshrinking my clothes. Can you help me out?

Replies

• peleroja
    peleroja Posts: 3,979 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Have you tried longer, snug shorts? When I wear them (almost never), I like the Nike Pro with the longer inseam (I think it's 5 inches?) because the 3 inch one just crawls up on me no matter what when I run.

I have a couple running skirts that I'll wear when it's really hot out as well, and while the shorts underneath those do crawl up a bit, at least the skirt part over top hides it from everyone I pass.

Mostly I just wear running capris regardless of the temperature, though. I'm hot anyway on a summer run, so I might as well not deal with a wedgie and have less skin out to sunburn.

I don't know about a real solution to this honestly. My legs, while not really possessing a true ankles-touching-thigh-gap or anything, don't even rub together when I run, yet I've never found a pair of short shorts that doesn't end up looking more like underwear half a mile in and migrated to show the bottom of my butt cheeks. It's not a look I like so I have to be pretty desperately hot to even consider the longer shorts or running skirt.
  • Nicci93
    Nicci93 Posts: 398 Member
    Options
    I know your struggle :(

I have always sucked up running in capris during the summer because being slightly too warm on a run was better than the chafing nightmares that come from shorter shorts that ride up all the time. I have been looking for some short options again though, and I think something like this might work for both of us:

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/Mizuno_Womens_Core_Mid_Tight/descpage-MWCMT.html OR http://www.runningwarehouse.com/Nike_Womens_Pro_Hypercool_8_Short/descpage-NWPHYC8.html

I'm not sure if $50 is spending too much for you.

(If the link doesn't work, google Running Warehouse Womens running shorts and filter to extra long length)
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    In warm weather I only run in compression shorts. I prefer them long (almost to the knee) for skin-covering purposes, but as long as they're at least mid-thigh, I'm fine. No creeping. No chafing.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    Nicci93 wrote: »

I have always sucked up running in capris during the summer because being slightly too warm on a run was better than the chafing nightmares that come from shorter shorts that ride up all the time. I have been looking for some short options again though, and I think something like this might work for both of us:

http://www.runningwarehouse.com/Mizuno_Womens_Core_Mid_Tight/descpage-MWCMT.html OR http://www.runningwarehouse.com/Nike_Womens_Pro_Hypercool_8_Short/descpage-NWPHYC8.html

(If the link doesn't work, google Running Warehouse Womens running shorts and filter to extra long length)

The shorts pictured in those links are the only type of shorts I will run in. (Doesn't need to be that brand or model, just the general style and longer inseam.) Those so-called running/track shorts I see in stores (and that we used to be forced to wear in P.E. class) always ride up and look/feel horrible to run in. I usually just wear the capris, though. If you get the cooling, moisture-wicking fabric, it's not really uncomfortable IMO.
  • MonkeyMel21
    MonkeyMel21 Posts: 2,388 Member
    Options
    I have to get tight elastic shorts that start at right under my belly button (high waisted) and go down to just above my knee. Tan lines aren't optimal but no need to adjust anything mid-run. I bought my latest pairs at Kohls.
  • dpwellman
    dpwellman Posts: 3,271 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Hmm, I never thought about it, but yeah there are few "women's" running shorts that have drawstrings. The only brand I'm aware for certain that have 5 inch or longer inseam and drawstring are Roadrunner Sport's house brand (R-gear) and Adidas. Maybe Under Armor (heh) too. I think the Target house brand (I forget the name) also has those features, but I'm less than impressed with the quality compared to Nike, Asics, and New Balance.

My ex also swore by running skirts.

roadrunnersports.com/rrs/products/RRL1135/womens-rgear-inspiration-7-short/?cc=056
  • goochinator
    goochinator Posts: 383 Member
    Options
    TmacMMM wrote: »
    In warm weather I only run in compression shorts. I prefer them long (almost to the knee) for skin-covering purposes, but as long as they're at least mid-thigh, I'm fine. No creeping. No chafing.

Yep. me too. I wear shirts long enough to cover my waist/butt area so I can kid myself into thinking I don't look so bad. I have never found a pair of shorts that ever worked for me. In my running/training groups, it was rare for women to wear anything else, regardless of size, so it's a common problem.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options

Those first shorts look like a possible solution. $50 is way too much, but I'm an avid Ebay shopper, so maybe.

It does sound like bike style shorts may be my next option to try, it's just hard to find them with a drawstring or well enough fitted waist. I like Old Navy's running capris and tights, but their longer shorts have elastic waists. I've seen bike shorts at Walmart, but they are the same style as their leggings which fall down on me. I'll have to check Target and Ebay.

Another problem I have is still being heavy my thighs touch almost to my knees, so even the basketball style shorts I've been running in ride up. I bought some running shorts with mid length compression shorts attached that ride up as well.

I might look into running skirts. I'm not sure whether or not I can tolerate my bare skin rubbing. There's only one way to find out. I have a cotton activewear skort I wear casually and it rides up, but doesn't bother me much because nobody can see it.

Thanks for all the replies.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options

That's pretty much what I wear. Long compression shorts, but I get mine from Old Navy. I adore them. Oh, see my avatar. I'm wearing them.
  • rugratz2015
    rugratz2015 Posts: 593 Member
    Options
    What about wearing knee/thigh length Lycra shorts under a running skirt, or any skater type skirt if you don't want every bulge/crease on show?
  • crackpotbaby
    crackpotbaby Posts: 1,297 Member
    Options
    I like the a little bit baggy running shorts with the built in undies. You can often get them with a drawstring too. I have a favourite pair of new balance ones and a similar reebok pair. Both you hardly notice at all.

• zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    Can you fit into men's shorts? I gave up on women's shorts since I have that too small waist/too big butt ratio and I like pockets.
  • jennybearlv
    Options
    What about wearing knee/thigh length Lycra shorts under a running skirt, or any skater type skirt if you don't want every bulge/crease on show?

I don't mind showing off my shape. I'm just weird about too much skin showing. I don't even mind that I have cellulite. It just feels like I'm running down the street naked when my shorts are too short.
  • crackpotbaby
    Options
    fa7msdn2oyoy.jpg

Actually ... these under armour (oh hi mfp!) ones are pretty good. Loose, drawstring, not crazy short ... but they are quite old so I'm not sure if they make them still?
  • jennybearlv
    Options
    lizery wrote: »
    fa7msdn2oyoy.jpg

Actually ... these under armour (oh hi mfp!) ones are pretty good. Loose, drawstring, not crazy short ... but they are quite old so I'm not sure if they make them still?

Those shorts would go straight up my crotch before reaching the sidewalk. Cute though.
  • crackpotbaby
    edited March 2017
    Options
    lizery wrote: »
    fa7msdn2oyoy.jpg

Those shorts would go straight up my crotch before reaching the sidewalk. Cute though.

Lol.I find that with the mid thigh bike style ones. Roll up with every step. I hope you find something that suits.

• middlehaitch
    middlehaitch Posts: 8,484 Member
    Options
    Have you thought about getting more of your favourite capris with the drawstring and getting them shortened to the length you want?

I am short so have to get even regular capris shortened otherwise they are leggings.

Cheers, h.
  • jennybearlv
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Have you thought about getting more of your favourite capris with the drawstring and getting them shortened to the length you want?

I am short so have to get even regular capris shortened otherwise they are leggings.

Cheers, h.

OMG. I have a sewing machine. Why didn't I think of that? As lazy as I am about sewing it could be less time consuming than looking for shorts I like.

ETA: I'm also short, so nearly ankle length capris may be why I think they are so dang hot too.
  • hablondi
    hablondi Posts: 127 Member
    Options
    Check out "sparkle skirts" (they are not sparkly). I bought one at the Tink Half Marathon last year and it is my absolute favorite thing to run in. Cute. No thigh chaff. Lots of pockets. Absolutely perfect.
  • jennybearlv
    Options
    hablondi wrote: »
    Check out "sparkle skirts" (they are not sparkly). I bought one at the Tink Half Marathon last year and it is my absolute favorite thing to run in. Cute. No thigh chaff. Lots of pockets. Absolutely perfect.

Those look awesome, but they are expensive! They sell for $50 on Ebay, which may just be testimony to how great they are. I have to add them to my goal weight shopping list.