TO WORK OUT or NOT TO WORK OUT. That be the question:)

Options
Hello MFP. I just wanted to know what motivates you to get out the door to get to the gym if you are a person that works out at the gym daily? The reason why I ask is because once I'm out the door I'm a good I'm ready to go and I enjoy being at the gym but boy oh boy getting out the door is my problem LOL :D Any tips?

Replies

• ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I cannot exercise well on a full stomach. So when I start feeling noticeably hungry, it's time to do it!
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,906 Member
    Options
    MrsKila wrote: »
    Hello MFP. I just wanted to know what motivates you to get out the door to get to the gym if you are a person that works out at the gym daily? The reason why I ask is because once I'm out the door I'm a good I'm ready to go and I enjoy being at the gym but boy oh boy getting out the door is my problem LOL :D Any tips?

I'm the same way - once I'm out the door I'm fine but often I have to force myself.

I know I feel and sleep better with regular exercise and won't be satisfied without those extra calories.
  • AmyOutOfControl
    AmyOutOfControl Posts: 1,425 Member
    Options
    1) more energy during the day
    2) better sleep at night
    3) I have more exercise calories to eat
  • MelanieCN77
    MelanieCN77 Posts: 4,047 Member
    Options
    I don't go out to a gym but lately I've been running in the mornings in my neighbourhood. I want to get it done, and so I do. There's no game to it, but prep is helpful (making sure all my clothes are clean and handy, things that need to be charged are always charged and so on) as well as making sure to hit the sack on time so a good night's sleep is had.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Options

I do the exercise even when I don't really want to because I know how I'll feel after I do it. I do it because I know that if I don't, I have no chance on race day. I do it because I must. I am compelled to keep going because I know what's beyond the wall.
  • bradmlucas12
    bradmlucas12 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I don't rely on motivation. Motivation is fickle, but discipline is always there. I go whether I "feel like it" or not. It's something I have to do, like getting groceries or going to work or brushing my teeth. I just make it...not optional, I guess.

And like you said, OP, I never regret it once I'm there.

X2 on making it not an option. 6am before work 5 days a week, whether I'm half asleep on the way there or not I go every day!
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    Not working out at a gym really. I used to belong to one and rarely went. I didn't want to deal with the traffic and crowds more than not working out. Now I have a home gym in a spare bedroom and having a room in my house I don't use multiple times a week just feels silly to me. Plus, I get a nice guilt trip every time I walk by the door. I put together a good all season wardrobe for running so I can just go out my front door and start. It takes me interesting places as well.
  • nowine4me
    nowine4me Posts: 3,985 Member
    Options
    I go to bed early, so I wake up early. There isn't much else to do a 6am.
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I have a bad back, so must do 45 minutes of yoga and core strengthening or I'm miserable all day
    And I'm lucky, we have a gym at home so it's easy to transition to cardio or weights from there
    In the warmer months I go swim laps at the high school pool, no motivation needed to get me into any body of water, I love it so.
  • victoria_1024
    victoria_1024 Posts: 915 Member
    Options
    Initially I was motivated by extra calories if I'm being honest. I love to eat so if I get to eat more by exercising, I'm on board.

Now that I've been in maintenance for a while I get motivated by seeing results. I can tell a difference in my body after the past several months of maintenance and lifting. I love seeing those defined muscles!

But like another person mentioned, I am not sure if motivation is the right word. Most of the time I don't want to work out, but I do it because it's jut part of my day. Like going to work.
  • marie9910
    marie9910 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    Before it was just part of my daily routine I set a picture of myself taken when I was super thin as the background on my phone. When my "Gym" alert would wake me up the photo was the first thing I'd see and I'd get going.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    My favorite quote is, "Let's say a prayer for all those who are stuck in traffic on the way to the gym to ride a stationary bicycle." Personally, what motivates me the most is "getting out the door." It killed it for me when you said "to go to the gym." If I were going to the gym I would probably ride my bicycle to get there, but I'd probably find a steep hill as a detour along the way, and by the time I got to the gym I would probably just turn around and head home.
  • Machka9
    Machka9 Posts: 24,885 Member
    Options
    I incorporate exercise throughout my day ... I'm motivated by my goals and the fact that the exercise gives me more calories to work with. :)
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Movement is a gift, don't waste the gift.
  • fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    Options

I go to the gym about 4:00 pm after work. I get back around 6:30 pm. Gives me time to make dinner and relax. I sleep much better.

You will have days that you drag yourself out the door. Grab a good pre-workout drink to get your motor going before you hit the gym. The gym is my stress relief. It helps me process things that come up in life. Without it, you may not want to be around me..lol

The funniest crap seems to happen to me at the gym. Always keeps going back out of curiosity of what may happen the next day.

I have a great music playlist. The gym is my "me" time, my adrenaline rush, my motivation, my inspiration, It's my church.
  • misskarne
    misskarne Posts: 1,767 Member
    Options
    For me, I don't go to the gym, I go to the rink. (Though going to the gym would probably help with what I do at the rink!). So then it becomes "go to the rink or don't go to the rink" and I love skating so much that the answer is generally "GO TO THE RINK!".
  • SCoil123
    SCoil123 Posts: 2,108 Member
    Options
    At first I was motivated by the extra calories but then my body started changing. Now even when I don't really want to go and work out I always want to keep seeing results so I push myself to do it anyways. That desire for progress is stronger than the desire to watch TV or take a nap.